2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
of course he is.. just tipped his hand he is dropping down to pick O'Brien. Every now & then you have to swing for top round elite player. I want the big finnish centre.. can you make that happen?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bokk. He's a goal scorer. We don't have true game changers. We need high end skill with this pick. Boom or bust!

I will absolutely not be happy if they pick Lundestrom. I just don't see the upside there plus the thought of Wennberg 2.0 scares the crap out of me.
Oh the horror, we get a guy who in the NHL redraft halved his draft position (drafted 14th, ranked #7 from his draft)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Understandable.

From Jarmos quotes it looks like we're gonna take BPA(obviously) with the tie breaker going to the forward. Just depends on who falls. Not opposed to falling back for more bullets either.

But honestly with all the buzz going around the league today I get the feeling it's gonna be a real quiet day for the Jackets.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
#CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen on draft strategy w/ 18th pick in the 1st round: "if all of our top-priority guys are gone, and we get to, let’s say 15, and it’s getting thin, then we’re going to look at moving back."
Trade 18+49 for 26+28+39 – draft Miller, O'Brien, and Adam Mascherin :nod:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Scouts have said there's at least 50 players who deserve to be taken in the first round, so trading down and picking up two picks in the low 1st and upper part of the 2nd round would allow them to get some risk/reward players like O'Brien and Berggren. Maybe Martin Kaut drops due to the heart condition (which may have been a false alarm but that could scare off some teams and cause him to drop). If the Jackets lose Panarin, they need skill in the pipeline.

Lundeström is a safer pick but he plays a game that will translate well to the NHL. He plays with more of an edge than Wennberg, he's more physical but he's also doesn't have the flashy puck skills. But he does look to pass rather than shoot. There aren't a lot of centers projected in the first 20 picks, so he could move up but the question is whether he's a potential 2C or 3C. Do teams take the safe pick at center or a winger?

Denisenko is probably going to go higher than 18 since rumor has it he's not too happy with Russia after being left off their U-18 squad and will play in North America next season (even though he still does have a contract in Russia). 18 year olds in the AHL really doesn't work that well, but that would be an option. If Denisenko goes higher than most of the mock drafts have had him, that pushes someone down to the Jackets we might not expect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wonder if Jarmo is talking to Calgary at all? They don't have any picks for the first 3 rounds and are rumored to be looking for a pick. Gotta think you could get quite a bit if they're desperate enough.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I wonder if Jarmo is talking to Calgary at all? They don't have any picks for the first 3 rounds and are rumored to be looking for a pick. Gotta think you could get quite a bit if they're desperate enough.

If anything, Jarmo is probably looking to add more picks. I don't think Calgary would have anything that would interest us - outside of Backlund, which I'm sure they wouldn't want to move - for one of our first two picks...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If anything, Jarmo is probably looking to add more picks. I don't think Calgary would have anything that would interest us - outside of Backlund, which I'm sure they wouldn't want to move - for one of our first two picks...
I'd definitely be asking what they want for Bennett, not necessarily our first but that could be a low risk high reward type deal.

Adds some more depth and gets us a NHL ready player now with some potential left.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'd definitely be asking what they want for Bennett, not necessarily our first but that could be a low risk high reward type deal.

Adds some more depth and gets us a NHL ready player now with some potential left.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed, but I think Jarmo's going to want to hold on to his picks this seasons since we don't have a fourth or fifth rounder. Especially considering how deep the first two rounds are.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad