2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Merkley with the 18th pick?

His negatives outweigh the positives for me. Being a D-man that won't or can't go back on defense to defend in the OHL? He had the worst plus/minus on his team this year. Reportedly, being a problem with coaches. He's been benched in the OHL from what I hear. Even the fans of his junior team on here complained quite a bit about him...

Plus, even if he hits in his development, what is he.. A top 4 D-man that can be a PPQB and a defensive liability? We have Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, and Markus Nutivaara to play on the Power Play. All of those guys should be signed for 4-6 years in the future as well..

If Merkley drops to the 2nd round, then sure pick him up at that point.
I’ve seen mock drafts with him going in the top 10.
DeAngelo, Kucherov, Subban, Drouin all had attitude issues.

The kids 18 years old and is one of the best players in the world compared to others his age. I guess I don’t place much emphasis on “attitude issues” of a KID, a KID! I was a POS at that age too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I guess I don’t place much emphasis on “attitude issues” of a KID, a KID! I was a POS at that age too.

tenor.gif

;)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
me too DSL, but the league punishes these kids at the draft.. why gamble when so and so is almost as talented but has less risk.

I am a draft geek, but really stay clear of too much work investment in the NHL draft. Jarmo & scouts go their own way.. it seems crazy when they make their picks, then as the player develops you get PLD, and you understand that they are pretty good at what they do.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
me too DSL, but the league punishes these kids at the draft.. why gamble when so and so is almost as talented but has less risk.

I am a draft geek, but really stay clear of too much work investment in the NHL draft. Jarmo & scouts go their own way.. it seems crazy when they make their picks, then as the player develops you get PLD, and you understand that they are pretty good at what they do.

Yeah I just thought it would be fun to comment on PB as a POS.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I really hope we dont draft Merkley, that would be horrible gamble for no reason. Miller I would be on board with but really our oldest top 4 D hasnt even turned 25 yet.
The more I look at it I want Kravstov or Kupari and would really like to see the 2nd rounder moved ahead a bit to grab O'Brien

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I’ve seen mock drafts with him going in the top 10.
DeAngelo, Kucherov, Subban, Drouin all had attitude issues.

The kids 18 years old and is one of the best players in the world compared to others his age. I guess I don’t place much emphasis on “attitude issues” of a KID, a KID! I was a POS at that age too.
And DeAngelo already on his 3rd team, Subban is right behind Marchand as biggest POS in the league and Drouin acted like a baby when he was having issues in TB. Kuch is the only one their I would say has been fine. And DeAngelo to be fair was drafted later not for attitude but because people didn't like a word he said which was stupid. He later was said to have attitude issues.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Athletic mock draft.
No. 18 Columbus: Barrett Hayton, C, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL

What does the team typically value in players?
GM Jarmo Kekalainen is really high on guys who can process the game at high speed. He loves physical specimens, too.

Is there any major area of need?
They need game-changing forwards.

Rationale?
With Seth Jones and Zach Werenski atop the blueline depth chart, look for the Blue Jackets to use this pick to add some future high-end talent up front. RW Jesse Ylonen and RW Serron Noel should be considerations, but Hayton has the type of hockey IQ that Kekalainen values.
— Aaron Portzline

Pronman’s comments: Hayton is a high IQ type but also does possess quite a lot of skill. His skating isn’t great, but Columbus took a similarly built prospect recently in Pierre-Luc Dubois and has managed to turn him into a fairly damn good player.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Hayton is available he would be a good pick imo based on what I've read. Never heard of Jesse Ylonen so hopefully he's a pass and Noel seems to be one of those enigmatic players with more talent than results show.

Agree on the need for game changing forwards.

From studying various rankings & mocks I would be surprised if Hayton is available to us but who knows. Strange things happen at the draft.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Hayton is available he would be a good pick imo based on what I've read. Never heard of Jesse Ylonen so hopefully he's a pass and Noel seems to be one of those enigmatic players with more talent than results show.

Agree on the need for game changing forwards.

From studying various rankings & mocks I would be surprised if Hayton is available to us but who knows. Strange things happen at the draft.
Ylonen is the obligatory Next Finn Up after Kotkaniemi and Kupari are taken (which they were in that mock).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In the annual moderators' mock draft, Kravstov, Bokk, Kupari and McLeod were all available at 18. I had expected one or two of them to have been taken, and the pick a little easier to make. (K'Andre Miller was taken, probably the other guy I'd have considered there.)

I took McLeod.

EDIT: Lundestrom was there too, and he's definitely in the group of players I mentioned (there are probably 3-4 more, IMO, in that tier of 2018 draft prospects), but I did not seriously consider him.

Last edited:
Reactions: spintheblackcircle

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In the annual moderators' mock draft, Kravstov, Bokk, Kupari and McLeod were all available at 18. I had expected one or two of them to have been taken, and the pick a little easier to make. (K'Andre Miller was taken, probably the other guy I'd have considered there.)

I took McLeod.

EDIT: Lundestrom was there too, and he's definitely in the group of players I mentioned (there are probably 3-4 more, IMO, in that tier of 2018 draft prospects), but I did not seriously consider him.

With those choices I would have taken Kravstov. McLeod does however bolster the C pool.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
McLeod is a guy I REALLY like. I am in the minority, he's always listed as a "faller" in most mocks, but I think he can be a nice Ryan O' Reilly type.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev is a guy I would like a lot with our 3rd, maybe even our 2nd. Youngest player in the class, high upside center. There’s the Russian factor of course but he’s played in North America for the past several years, two seasons already in the OHL.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I just watched a shift by shift video of Ryan Merkley that was 19 minutes of length in a close game against the London Knights..

Positives- He is really dynamic offensively, good vision, good passing. Seems to have a deceptive shot. Scored a goal and a assist. Accounted for 2 of the team's 3 points.
Negatives- Oh boy... Where do I begin. I'll keep it simple. There is a serious lack of effort or fright on the defensive end.

I'll pass with the 18th pick. I admit he's an intriguing player to watch come draft night and the future though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
FYI in the second round of the moderator mock draft I took Blake McGlauthlin. Merkley was available, but a lot of the other names (many whom people rightly figured wouldn't be around at our 2nd pick) weren't.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I just watched a shift by shift video of Ryan Merkley that was 19 minutes of length in a close game against the London Knights..

Positives- He is really dynamic offensively, good vision, good passing. Seems to have a deceptive shot. Scored a goal and a assist. Accounted for 2 of the team's 3 points.
Negatives- Oh boy... Where do I begin. I'll keep it simple. There is a serious lack of effort or fright on the defensive end.

I'll pass with the 18th pick. I admit he's an intriguing player to watch come draft night and the future though.

He is......horrible defensively. I mean.......horrible.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

I was listening to last week’s 31 Thoughts podcast, and boy did they crap on Merkley. I don’t think he’s going to be taken in the first round based off of what everyone is saying

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For whatever reason I can't get McKenzie's rankings to show up on my computer. Can someone either post the whole list or at least 16-25. I assume since list is public this is permissible?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
For whatever reason I can't get McKenzie's rankings to show up on my computer. Can someone either post the whole list or at least 16-25. I assume since list is public this is permissible?
zOmXN31.jpg

F8Q7esA.jpg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks Mayo.Lots of interesting names from 15 on down. I'd love to see Jarmo take a flyer on Bokk or Kaut if available. Of the C's I'd go in the order they are ranked. Best outcome is Kravstov or Denisenko fall to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad