2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, didn't see that one coming at all. He made a great leap in the rankings late in the game but time will tell. Not overly excited about the pick.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
September - 4gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts
October - 9gp, 2g, 0a, 2pts
November - 10gp, 1g, 2a 3pts
December - 11gp, 1g, 1a, 2pts
January - 11gp, 6g, 3a, 9pts
February - 11gp, 10g, 6a, 16pts
March - 13gp, 5g, 5a, 10pts

First 34 games - 4g, 3a, 7pts
Final 35 games - 21g, 14a, 35pts

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
AAARRRRGH

That's TWO guys I really liked the Rangers have picked. :banghead:

I wasn't that keen on Miller because I didn't think we needed a D but yeah I think the Rangers have done real well plus they have a 3rd 1st coming up.

Reactions: CPTN71

84oiler

Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys. My son was linemates with Liam. Trust me you guys are getting a great hockey player. He will take some time to develop but you guys will be very happy with the end result. Comes from a great bloodline of exceptional track athletes and he set many records in track here in Toronto. Be patient he will be a very good two way player for you who is excellent on the PK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here's what I don't get. I know Foudy was a riser and people love his speed (I do too), but I will simply not buy the fact that they couldn't trade back and get him. I know Jarmo will trust his scouts and all, and this draft was a total crapshoot after the first 10, so I'm not going to critique the pick too much right now, but I just don't get why we always have to be the smartest team in the room and reach rather than pick up additional assets and trading back to get this guy, since this must have been a guy they had rated really high.

Even if you just pick up a 3rd or something. I'm sure someone would move up if that was the price. IIRC there were two trades behind the Jackets. They could have traded back and got an additional pick or two and still got this guy.

From what I've read, he's already got NHL speed, NHL quickness, but he's got very below average everything else including offensive ability. That is a red flag. I know he exploded in the second half, and he's in good hands in London, so we'll see how he goes next year, but I am concerned. Definitely not a safe pick.

Reactions: CBJFan827

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I wonder why Veleno hasn't been drafted.

Veleno was who I figured we would take, considering who was available at the time.

But yes, very odd he slid entirely out of the 1st. Nothing I read last night really seemed to mention a potential reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Veleno was who I figured we would take, considering who was available at the time.

But yes, very odd he slid entirely out of the 1st. Nothing I read last night really seemed to mention a potential reason.

He didn't. Detroit took him with the 30th pick.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Here's what I don't get. I know Foudy was a riser and people love his speed (I do too), but I will simply not buy the fact that they couldn't trade back and get him.

Centers were going much higher than the mocks had them: Dellandrea went #13, Jay O'Brien went #19 and Kupari #20. The only one that dropped was Veleno and he may not project as a center in the NHL.

They might have been able to drop down a few positions and still get Foudy, but there's no possible way they could have gotten Foudy in the 2nd round like some are suggesting. Centers are at a premium and someone else would have drafted him.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
people here like to say smartest guy in the room or whatever but then act like the are smarter then management saying trades they would have made, kind of ironic. You dont think phone calls were made? Dont think they valued the player enough to expect him not to be there? Jay O'Brien was expected to go well into the 2nd and ended up 19th. We knew this was a wide open draft but yes, follow the consesus its never been wrong

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
people here like to say smartest guy in the room or whatever but then act like the are smarter then management saying trades they would have made, kind of ironic. You dont think phone calls were made? Dont think they valued the player enough to expect him not to be there? Jay O'Brien was expected to go well into the 2nd and ended up 19th. We knew this was a wide open draft but yes, follow the consesus its never been wrong

Considering that trades were made behind them, it's pretty safe to assume that if calls were made, they weren't taken seriously.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's usually runs on centers and mobile puck moving defensemen. That happened again this year.

Most of the players drafted in the last quarter of the draft were projected to go in the 2nd round. Defenseman Filip Johansson was #54 on Mckenzie's final draft rankings (he went #24 to the Wild). This is a deep draft with scouts feeling over 50 different players could have been picked in the first round.

For the 2nd round pick, the question is whether there might be a run on goaltenders which push some of those players who might have been 1st rounders down to #49.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad