Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 1, Pick #21 - Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph Storm/OHL)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Pushing a player into the NHL before they're ready, especially physically, isn't great but I don't know if I buy the argument that it ruined Mueller. He probably just sucked to begin with and staying in the AHL longer wouldn't have fixed that.

Mueller's issues weren't physical. He doesn't think or see the game at a high enough level to be a consistent NHLer.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t really think there’s any chance they’ll rush Merkley. This is a kid that’s going to marinate for 2-3 years before he’s ready. He’s going to need to work on his defensive play, show that he’s willing to give a complete effort at both ends of the ice, and prove that he can have a professional attitude and work with his teammates. I imagine Wilson knows this is going to have to be a delicate process if he wants Merkley to hit his ceiling.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Mueller's issues weren't physical. He doesn't think or see the game at a high enough level to be a consistent NHLer.

Watching a lower level game (preferably both slower and less complex) can help me understand a game and what's going on better. You have more time to process things before they happen. Once you process one or two things, you can start to notice more things bc you have more time. Pretty soon, it all becomes fast and automatic. It also helps if you have someone (like a coach) pointing out one or two things that you should concentrate on.

I'm not saying that playing more in the AHL (or juniors) would have helped Mueller process the game better but it may have.

I agree w most here: I don't think DW will rush Merkley into the NHL.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Another reason not to rush Merkley is that you'd prefer he doesn't become a player the Sharks need to protect in the Seattle expansion draft.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don’t really think there’s any chance they’ll rush Merkley. This is a kid that’s going to marinate for 2-3 years before he’s ready. He’s going to need to work on his defensive play, show that he’s willing to give a complete effort at both ends of the ice, and prove that he can have a professional attitude and work with his teammates. I imagine Wilson knows this is going to have to be a delicate process if he wants Merkley to hit his ceiling.

Which should put to rest the BS that Wilson only cares about the now to save his job.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Im sure hes planning for the next expansion as well. As others have stated, taking on a project that could turn into a 1D is a good bet at this juncture and where we picked. If he turns into that faster than expected you protect him, but if he needs tp go the meier route it gives you options

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think he could make an argument to make the NHL in his D+2 year if he puts on muscle and shows that he's more active in the defensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad