Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 1, Pick #21 - Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph Storm/OHL)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Me too.. Pair him with Pickles. See what happens..

jones-martin-puck-goal.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think he could make an argument to make the NHL in his D+2 year if he puts on muscle and shows that he's more active in the defensive zone.

Absolutely.

It’ll be telling to see what they do with the third RD spot. Right now, they pretty clearly need an addition there. If they add a player with a one year contract, they’re probably looking for Merkley to jump in next year. If they add a player with term, they’ll probably open up Braun’s spot in two years and give Merkley a shot at it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’m going to take a wild guess and say Vlasic is more like Boyle than Martin.
Vlasic would probably be a decent mentor but mainly because he thinks punk ass kids are dumb shits. "Yo dumb ass I wanna win a game so do this like this or I'll beat you up"

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Vlasic would probably be a decent mentor but mainly because he thinks punk ass kids are dumb ****s. "Yo dumb ass I wanna win a game so do this like this or I'll beat you up"

He’d dare Merkley to yell at him for being incompetent. Hell, he’d yell at Merkley for being incompetent. It would be a helluva plot twist. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He’d dare Merkley to yell at him for being incompetent. Hell, he’d yell at Merkley for being incompetent. It would be a helluva plot twist. :laugh:

No real plot twist there. Everyone knows that Pickles isn't having any of anyone's ****.

This would basically be the Vlasic teaching method:

Reactions: slocal

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Vlasic's nastiness is so underappreciated. Such a dick on the ice.

It’s beyond hilarious that big name media members voted for him for Lady Byng.

Maybe Vlasic and Merkley both being dicks would be a positive thing. If you’re yelling shit at your teammates all the time, you have no right to be mad if a teammate does it back to you, right?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Maybe Vlasic and Merkley both being dicks would be a positive thing. If you’re yelling **** at your teammates all the time, you have no right to be mad if a teammate does it back to you, right?

Why not go all the way? Trade for Marchand and Corey Perry, bring back Torres, get Steve Downie and Steve Ott out of retirement, just transform the whole roster into the biggest motley crew of asshats and dicks. Then go out on the ice and play a brand of hockey that seems more like lawless maritime piracy than it does actual sport. Raise a jolly roger and stick Sharkie in an eyepatch and tri-corner hat. Commit and commit hard.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hard to project how a player could be as a coach. Stereotypically, very talented players make poor coaches since they don’t grasp that others just lack that talent. At the same time, competitive/hard-working players make poor coaches since they can’t abide players that don’t have the same drive.

Christian Ehrhoff praised Rob Blake for his aid in improving his shot, “joking” that Boyle couldn’t believe he hadn’t figured it out.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Maybe Vlasic and Merkley both being dicks would be a positive thing. If you’re yelling **** at your teammates all the time, you have no right to be mad if a teammate does it back to you, right?

Yeah he doesn't take any minors but miscoducts and fighting majors count too lol. He is Pronger-lite. The slash on the bare wrists, the cross checks in the ribs in board scrums etc. He drives opponents crazy. He might be the best unassuming agitator in the league.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
What was the flip that switched? Cuz Vlasic did not play like that in his first few years. It was post-Blake then post-Heatley that he got nasty. I remember it caught people off guard, like he came back one season and decided to give it back to everyone within a stick length.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What was the flip that switched? Cuz Vlasic did not play like that in his first few years. It was post-Blake then post-Heatley that he got nasty. I remember it caught people off guard, like he came back one season and decided to give it back to everyone within a stick length.
danny briere probably

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I remember people used to complain about Vlasic being ‘soft’ during the eternal Vlasic vs. Murray debates circa 2010-2011. So it had to be after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad