Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 1, Pick #21 - Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph Storm/OHL)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I remember people used to complain about Vlasic being ‘soft’ during the eternal Vlasic vs. Murray debates circa 2010-2011. So it had to be after that.

Rob Blake gave him pointers. I don't think people realize how good Rob's 08/09 season was for S.J. Put up 45 points at 39 playing nearly 22 minutes a night.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What are the chances Merkley makes Team Canada for the WJC?
I feel like his general reputation is too low for it to happen and then you got the rest of the guys who were just picked top 10 and the 2017 kids too. I'd think it'd look like

Ferraro-Makar
Hague-Dobson
Bouchard-Ty Smith

Edit: I actually don't know who's eligible anymore but the top half of that might be done with WJCs

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I remember people used to complain about Vlasic being ‘soft’ during the eternal Vlasic vs. Murray debates circa 2010-2011. So it had to be after that.

Were people really debating Vlasic Vs. Murray? I remember in 2009-2010, when I first started watching, I knew very little about hockey, but it became very clear to me almost immediately that Douglas Murray was absolutely terrible. People loved him for his big hits, and his fighting ability, but he was terrible.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Were people really debating Vlasic Vs. Murray? I remember in 2009-2010, when I first started watching, I knew very little about hockey, but it became very clear to me almost immediately that Douglas Murray was absolutely terrible. People loved him for his big hits, and his fighting ability, but he was terrible.
Murray was legit good until like 2011 and took a huge dive off a cliff 2012ish.

Reactions: Phu

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Where do you think Merkley would’ve gotten drafted if he didn’t have the attitude problems?

Just a curious thought that came into my mind

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Where do you think Merkley would’ve gotten drafted if he didn’t have the attitude problems?

I'd guess he'd be ranked closer to Adam Boqvist but he still has his issues defensively.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I read a couple of articles which said top 5 overall. They believe that his defensive issues are a result of his attitude problems. If he fixes his attitude the defensive issues should get sorted out.

Guess we will find out.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yep. You have to remember that before Murray fell off a cliff he was pretty decent, and that he was a great partner to Boyle in the same way that Ryan is to Burns: a good stylistic fit allows the player to fill a slot higher than their individual ability. Also, Vlasic was still very much a #3 at best at the time. His offense was absolutely non-existent and his shot was often compared to a wounded butterfly. It wasn’t as absurd a comparison as it sounds in hindsight.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yep. You have to remember that before Murray fell off a cliff he was pretty decent, and that he was a great partner to Boyle in the same way that Ryan is to Burns: a good stylistic fit allows the player to fill a slot higher than their individual ability. Also, Vlasic was still very much a #3 at best at the time. His offense was absolutely non-existent and his shot was often compared to a wounded butterfly. It wasn’t as absurd a comparison as it sounds in hindsight.

Douglas was at his most mobile at 235-240. By the end he had to have been pushing 260+.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
His shot still does suck in fairness. Early Vlasic was literally only capable of chipping off the boards and skating so I can see why people were making those comparisons (even though they look foolish now). Still the most amazing feat of DW’s career was a pair of 2nd rounders for Cranky. Followed by one of the worst moves which was trading one of those picks for Tyler Kennedy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Vlasic was clearly better, but Murray was a fantastic fit with Boyle (Sharks struggled to find the ideal partner for Vlasic) and really grew into his role. Partly, it was due to expectations. Vlasic had a phenomenal rookie season and was drawing comparisons to Lidstrom with his smarts; he followed it up with a fairly productive year and everyone thought the offense was going to develop. Not only did that not happen, but his defensive prowess stagnated. It took him a while to break out into this #1 defensive D-man.

Compare that to Murray, an eighth-round pick who beat all expectations and improved every year before crashing down to Earth (not literally...that would cause another mass extinction!).

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Even with Murrays lack of speed, he still managed his angles really well, at least until the last two or so seasons where his lack of foot speed was being exposed. I did love those hits though, dude was just a tank.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Even with Murrays lack of speed, he still managed his angles really well, at least until the last two or so seasons where his lack of foot speed was being exposed. I did love those hits though, dude was just a tank.

I remember once he was on the point with the puck and a (I think) Rangers guy took a run at him to knock him off the puck. It might have been Prust. And he collided with Murray and he fell down while Murray didn't even budge. That was fantastic

Reactions: Juxtaposer

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I still can't believe that the Sharks got two 2nd round picks for Murray. But of course, they traded one of those 2nds for Tyler Kennedy. :rant: (They took Noah Rod with the other one.)

Back to Merkley for a sec, I watched the first round of the draft with one of my buddies. He's convinced that Merkley's direct comp is Tony DeAngelo. God, I hope not.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I still can't believe that the Sharks got two 2nd round picks for Murray. But of course, they traded one of those 2nds for Tyler Kennedy. :rant: (They took Noah Rod with the other one.)

Back to Merkley for a sec, I watched the first round of the draft with one of my buddies. He's convinced that Merkley's direct comp is Tony DeAngelo. God, I hope not.
I don't really think so. DeAngelo was an unabashed racist asshole and got an ungodly amount of ice time like Goldobin did from how I remember it.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad