Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: Round 1, Pick #21 - Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph Storm/OHL)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
21. Doug Wilson on Ryan Merkley: We spent a lot of time with him. We asked him the tough questions, we liked the way he handled it…the answers he gave us made us feel comfortable looking him in the eye that he wants to be a great player and hockey is what he wants to do. He’s a young man, and watching him play he just has to channel some of his frustrations differently…We see a real high end to this player.”

Idk if anyone has posted this already but I think it’s fair to assume that Wilson did his due diligence on Merkley’s flaws. He wouldn’t have taken him if he didn’t think they could be fixed or at least mitigated.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wanted Merkley before the draft but knew there was 0 chance of us getting him unless DW has done his due diligence by talking to him and others.

While this is still a risky pick, he is undoubtedly the most 'skilled' prospect we have in our organization. Given that he is 17 years old and one of the younger prospects in this draft, there is a very good chance that with the right guidance he rights his ways. Its either that or he is a career minor league player.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So a better Tim Heed ?

I wouldn’t say so. Merkley’s biggest strength is his skating and specifically his lateral movement. Heed’s biggest weakness is his skating and specifically his lateral movement.

Heed would be a top-pairing defenseman if he could skate the way that Merkley does right now.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Idk if anyone has posted this already but I think it’s fair to assume that Wilson did his due diligence on Merkley’s flaws. He wouldn’t have taken him if he didn’t think they could be fixed or at least mitigated.

He probably got a good feel from Sharks alum Todd Harvey who coached him.

Reactions: CrypTic

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I wonder if Merkley will be given a chance to win a spot next season. Next to Dillon on the third pairing would be okay if he shows that he is NHL ready. Not saying he is NHL ready as I still think it would be best for him to go back to junior but still could be interesting and much needed if he is NHL ready.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I wonder if Merkley will be given a chance to win a spot next season. Next to Dillon on the third pairing would be okay if he shows that he is NHL ready. Not saying he is NHL ready as I still think it would be best for him to go back to junior but still could be interesting and much needed if he is NHL ready.

He'll get a taste of T.C. but he would have to really really ball out to earn a spot.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Plus, he can't really play in the Cuda next year right? He has to go back to the OHL or play on the Sharks (once he signs his ELC). Right?

Yes. So if he has a Vlasic type camp he will have earned a spot. Otherwise expect him to stick around for a week or so and then go back to Guelph.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Plus, he can't really play in the Cuda next year right? He has to go back to the OHL or play on the Sharks (once he signs his ELC). Right?
He can’t play on the Cuda for 2 years, that’s how young he is. So it’s Sharks or juniors until he turns 20 in August 2020.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'd rather him stay in Juniors for a while and just get feedback on what to improve on.
With his reported attitude, that type of early "success" can quickly go to your head ala Seto.

Reactions: CrypTic

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes. So if he has a Vlasic type camp he will have earned a spot. Otherwise expect him to stick around for a week or so and then go back to Guelph.

I'd have him stick around as long as possible before sending him back. I think he's already said he wants to play another year in juniors. That's fine. He'll probably play another two seasons there but keep him in camp maybe longer than he deserves just to get as much pro experience before going back to the kids.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Not counting the defensive issues, I'd like to see him put on 10-15lbs before the NHL. He looks like he's skin and bones. It'd probably help him take hits too.

Jul 10, 2010
this could be a dumb point but it seems he rubbed alot of people the wrong way because he was yelling at his D partner, but is it not reasonable to believe that he wouldnt be yelling at a more competent D partner, such as an NHL level dman who is at a talent level significantly closer to Merkleys

Even Merkley admitted he cant act the same way he did in junior at the NHL level

the kids WAY to small to play at the NHL level. Needs 2 years to bulk up and add muscle. Hes young, only 17. He'd get eaten alive by men in the corners

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Merkley is the best blue cheese.
chandler-cheese.gif

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Given the experience with rushing Mueller into the NHL, I would hope that DW would be a lot more careful and hesitate about doing it again.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Pushing a player into the NHL before they're ready, especially physically, isn't great but I don't know if I buy the argument that it ruined Mueller. He probably just sucked to begin with and staying in the AHL longer wouldn't have fixed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad