NCAA: 2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's Six Discussion

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Someone remind me why it was important to expand the playoff field from 2 to 4 teams?

It needs to go to 8. 6 is an option but I don’t think it’s a good idea. As we’ve seen in the NFL pro players struggle mightily with the bye week at times. I think you’d end up with a bunch of 1 and 2s getting sunk in the semis with a bye week

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
These games are going to kill the chances of the next time the Irish or any BigXII is in the running for the playoffs.

Meh. Teams from every conference have gotten whooped against them.

OU getting psyched out calling for fair catches on kickoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Oh, come on.

Challenge UCF? Really? UCF '18 isn't any kind of a favorite there; the Knights would be a very comfortable double-digit dog and they're probably on the order of -30 against Alabama. [Yes, seriously.]

I didn't say UCF would be a favorite, I just said they'd be the only two teams that would give them a challenge. UCF would wipe the floor with Notre Dame and Oklahoma like the other two top teams did. There's a reason they're the only 3 undefeated teams left.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Someone remind me why it was important to expand the playoff field from 2 to 4 teams?
Because of the year where you had an undefeated Alabama playing an undefeated Florida in the SEC championship, an undefeated Texas out of the Big XII, and an undefeated Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU making serious noise.

Or the year where no one went undefeated, Ohio State and Kansas were the only 1-loss teams [and Kansas had lost to Missouri so it didn't get to the Big XII title game], and there were a slew of 2-loss teams and no one wanted to hold on to the #1 or #2 spot, especially the later the season went.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I didn't say UCF would be a favorite, I just said they'd be the only two teams that would give them a challenge. UCF would wipe the floor with Notre Dame and Oklahoma like the other two top teams did. There's a reason they're the only 3 undefeated teams left.
I think Notre Dame is overrated, but there's no way UCF "wipes the floor." It's probably a 42-38 kind of score, it's not more than a 2-score game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Need to find a turnover now because they’re not going to keep getting stops

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
31-10 is about as much as Oklahoma could ask for given how the 1st quarter went.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
UCF wants a seat at the table but isn't willing to put in the work. Boise State and TCU are the blueprints. They shouldn't have rejected that deal from Florida.
I have no idea when that would have started up, but it wouldn't have been before 2021 given Florida's currently nonconference schedule, and most likely not before 2023 since the Gators have South Florida scheduled for '21 and '22. So even best-case it wouldn't help UCF near-term and most likely it would be a handful of years down the road.

Right now, UCF gets Stanford at home and goes to Pitt for '19. There's a home-and-home with Georgia Tech for '20 and 22, a home-and-home with Louisville for '21 and '22, and a 2 home / 1 away with North Carolina for '20, '24 and '25. So there's opportunities to still add other P5 schools, but you're hoping that whoever you schedule down the road is going to be good; if they suck eggs, you're SOL in trying to build street cred as a good program who's willing to go play good programs.

Reactions: HoseEmDown

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I have no idea when that would have started up, but it wouldn't have been before 2021 given Florida's currently nonconference schedule, and most likely not before 2023 since the Gators have South Florida scheduled for '21 and '22. So even best-case it wouldn't help UCF near-term and most likely it would be a handful of years down the road.

Right now, UCF gets Stanford at home and goes to Pitt for '19. There's a home-and-home with Georgia Tech for '20 and 22, a home-and-home with Louisville for '21 and '22, and a 2 home / 1 away with North Carolina for '20, '24 and '25. So there's opportunities to still add other P5 schools, but you're hoping that whoever you schedule down the road is going to be good; if they suck eggs, you're SOL in trying to build street cred as a good program who's willing to go play good programs.

It takes time though. They want to cut the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad