NCAA: 2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's Six Discussion

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The first rankings come out on the 30th. Yes, there are two more Saturdays until the rankings come out, but I just thought that I'd start the thread now.

At the moment, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame are the four in that order, right?

UCF is obviously in the driver's seat for the Group of Five. They are in much better shape this year for the playoff, although I would still bet that they are left out even if they run the table. They need to hope that South Florida, Houston and Cincinnati keep winning.

Last edited:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
asking for a friend, is too early for a Texas fan to be planning to go the playoff?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
asking for a friend, is too early for a Texas fan to be planning to go the playoff?

Yeah right. :sarcasm:

If they run the table, they're in for sure. Their schedule is relatively easy from here on out until potentially the Big 12 championship game. Their only ranked opponent left is West Virginia, but that's in Austin. I could see them slipping to OK State or Texas Tech on the road, but they'll be favored in those games.

I'd say it's still way too early. It's the middle of October.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah right. :sarcasm:

If they run the table, they're in for sure. Their schedule is relatively easy from here on out until potentially the Big 12 championship game. Their only ranked opponent left is West Virginia, but that's in Austin. I could see them slipping to OK State or Texas Tech on the road, but they'll be favored in those games.

I'd say it's still way too early. It's the middle of October.

That Lubbock game has be scared shitless.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nick Bosa of OSU announced that he won’t be returning to the team. He’s leaving school to focus on his recovery from abdominal surgery and then get ready for the NFL draft.

I believe he was due back by the big 10 title game. From his POV, there’s plenty of tape to show the scouts what he can do. Doesn’t need to play a few more college games.

But this will hurt the buckeyes.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think Buckeye fans will completely understand. One thing that both Bosa's have shown is how much they LOVE playing for tOSU. Nobody will question that for a second, hopefully most will realize he's doing the smart thing.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
As I do every season, I'm rooting for chaos. I'd like to see 6 or 7 1-loss teams and an undefeated AAC champ at the end of conference title Saturday.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Notre Dame playing USC this year in LA is a big deal. Not only do the Trojans have the homefield, the game is in November instead of October when they play in South Bend. USC seems to be improving and Daniel is getting better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As I do every season, I'm rooting for chaos. I'd like to see 6 or 7 1-loss teams and an undefeated AAC champ at the end of conference title Saturday.

You think the committee would leave out an undefeated team two years in a row?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Who's in in this scenario?

OSU (13-0) Big Ten Champ
LSU (12-1) SEC Champ
Texas (12-1) Big XII Champ
Clemson (12-1) ACC Champ
Oregon (12-1) PAC 12 Champ
Alabama (11-1)
Notre Dame (11-1)
UCF (13-0) AAC Champ

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who's in in this scenario?

OSU (13-0) Big Ten Champ
LSU (12-1) SEC Champ
Texas (12-1) Big XII Champ
Clemson (12-1) ACC Champ
Oregon (12-1) PAC 12 Champ
Alabama (11-1)
Notre Dame (11-1)
UCF (13-0) AAC Champ

Who does Clemson lose to?

#1 OSU vs #4 Alabama
#2 LSU vs #3 Texas/Clemson

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
NC State, Florida State, Boston College, South Carolina...pick one.

Why Alabama? Why not Notre Dame? UCF? Oregon?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
NC State, Florida State, Boston College, South Carolina...pick one.

Why Alabama? Why not Notre Dame? UCF? Oregon?

If they lose to NC State then they have to hope NC State loses two more ACC games or else Clemson isn't going to the ACC championship game. The other teams aren't very good so their lose will be as bad as Texas to Maryland but I think Texas will have the better wins so I'd take them.

Alabama is in before the season even starts, there's nothing stopping them from being out. They could lose twice and the committee will still find a way to get them in. I know it's ESPN but they had this playoff chances article and Alabama was like 98% in if they win out and 70% with a loss which was higher than most teams even if they went undefeated. Notre Dame won't get in with a loss, the PAC 12 isn't strong enough to get Oregon in and their OOC schedule is weak. Everyone knows the committee would never put UCF in, I've given up any hope of that happening. The committee does what ESPN wants and they only care about the P5 who make them money, they won't let a G5 school show up their meal tickets.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
You're not getting it. I root for chaos to force playoff expansion. You have to split hairs and play politics to get to 4 and it will upset the order. You can't leave out 2 P5 conferences, a well-qualified ND, and UCF for the second straight season and not turn up the heat.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
ESPN doesn't care about any of that. As long as they have Alabama and Ohio State in the playoffs they'll get the TV views and make money. They don't want Notre Dame in the playoffs because they'll get views on the playoffs no matter but having ND in another major bowl gets them huge views there. They hope USC wins the PAC 12, USC vs Michigan or Ohio State and huge views for the Rose bowl. Texas in the Fiesta huge views. ESPN laughs at chaos because it gives them an excuse to set the rankings up how they please. If NC State beats Clemson and runs the table, I can see them calling the ACC weak, calling out NC State for the missed game against WVU. They're drop Clemson in the rankings so the State win looks weaker and rank up SEC or Big 10 teams to make them look stronger. If your not a big time school then the committee will do you no favors, you could be undefeated and they'll look the other way. The idiots at ESPN want to feed you one narrative and one narrative only and the NC State or UCF's of the world just don't fit that so they'll do their hardest to make sure they put them down every chance they can while praising who they want you to root for.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
ESPN is no match for university presidents. Sorry, bud. Besides, ESPN would make more money with an expanded playoff.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
You can't leave out 2 P5 conferences, a well-qualified ND, and UCF for the second straight season and not turn up the heat.
The difference for UCF is, just because you go 13-0 against pretty much nobodies, doesn't merit you a spot in the college playoff over a 1 loss team that more than likely had a much tougher schedule.

While UCF and smaller schools wouldn't like that scenario, of course, but schools like that need to realize, when you play in a laughable conference, and out of conference scheduling is suspect, that's what happens.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The difference for UCF is, just because you go 13-0 against pretty much nobodies, doesn't merit you a spot in the college playoff over a 1 loss team that more than likely had a much tougher schedule.

While UCF and smaller schools wouldn't like that scenario, of course, but schools like that need to realize, when you play in a laughable conference, and out of conference scheduling is suspect, that's what happens.

AAC had as more ranked teams than the ACC, the same amount as the Big 12 and PAC 12. They've gone 7-8 I believe vs the P5 so far so they're holding their own. Sure they have some bad teams but even the P5 has bottom feeders like Nebraska. The SOS argument is a joke, it's heavily slanted for P5 schools so of course a UCF or other G5 school will look like they've played a weak schedule. UCF would love to play better P5 schools but the top ones want nothing to do with a home and home. You can't predict if UNC or Pitt would be bad 5 years down the road when you schedule the games.

The ACC has become a 1 team league but they still get treated like it's good. The Big 12 is top heavy with Oklahoma always there, Texas is good this year but isn't consistent same with the rest WVU, TCU OKST are up and down. The PAC 12 is a mess. The SEC doesn't look that strong outside of Bama, I could see every other team with at least 2 loses. Going undefeated should mean something but "quality losses" is more important than that it seems these days.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I enjoy the fact that quality losses mean something, obviously you should want to win those games. But it'll make for more big time P5 games OOC. Texas scheduled for the next decade: LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Bama, and talking about adding Georgia/Clemson/Penn State.

If let's say for example, TCU lost to Ohio State but they ended up going undefeated in the big 12. How is there 12-1 not more impressive than a Clemson 13-0?

Hypothetically speaking.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I enjoy the fact that quality losses mean something, obviously you should want to win those games. But it'll make for more big time P5 games OOC. Texas scheduled for the next decade: LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Bama, and talking about adding Georgia/Clemson/Penn State.

If let's say for example, TCU lost to Ohio State but they ended up going undefeated in the big 12. How is there 12-1 not more impressive than a Clemson 13-0?

Hypothetically speaking.

I would think they both get in. I assume the SEC champ is in, Ohio State, Clemson and TCU. If Notre Dame is undefeated so is the PAC 12 champ then there's issues but it has never finished with that many undefeated teams.

Are those OOC games true home and homes or the Alabama variety where they'll play a name program but only if it's in Atlanta or Dallas? I like watching big name teams playing and think more should schedule tougher competition but you're pretty much telling the G5 that they have no chance to get in if quality loses count more than going undefeated. Again schedules are made years in advance UCF had Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina and Pitt as their big OOC games. They lost the GT and UNC gamesbdue to hurricanes which you can't predict. Those are not world beaters but good names, they have been playing either FIU or FAU for awhile and then they have a FCS game like most teams tend to do. The AAC isn't the SEC but it's a tough conference with a few really good teams from year to year. If UCF goes undefeated two years in a row and still gets left out then you should just call it the P5 invitational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad