2018 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
so i wonder why pronman rates them so low.

"Tampa’s system is interesting because it has a ton of very fine prospects, but it lacks a true upper echelon player. Its AHL team had a ton of intrigue with many top rookies and recent first-round pick Cal Foote is a good player, but I’m not very excited about any one player here. Thus it’s hard for me to get that excited about the system as a whole."

Probably because all of their best u24 assets are contributing NHL studs. Having Sergachev on that list probably bumps them a few spots up.

Isn't Pronman also generally considered a bit of a hack by those in the know?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
"Tampa’s system is interesting because it has a ton of very fine prospects, but it lacks a true upper echelon player. Its AHL team had a ton of intrigue with many top rookies and recent first-round pick Cal Foote is a good player, but I’m not very excited about any one player here. Thus it’s hard for me to get that excited about the system as a whole."

Probably because all of their best u24 assets are contributing NHL studs. Having Sergachev on that list probably bumps them a few spots up.

Isn't Pronman also generally considered a bit of a hack by those in the know?

thanks, i am not a subscriber so that quote helps. pronman is usually in the list of consolidated draft rankings, so i am not sure if he has full hack status. he's sort of an outlier guy like button i think.

i agree that sergachev and point are obviously not bad youngsters to have on a roster.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
This is amusing. I think Pronman is one of the better scouts out there. To consider him a 'hack' is over the top.

You guys need to understand how and why he values players - he places greater emphasis on certain attributes. For instance valuing a players chance of becoming a 'star' more than if the prospect will fill a baseline.

Reactions: PM

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is amusing. I think Pronman is one of the better scouts out there. To consider him a 'hack' is over the top.

You guys need to understand how and why he values players - he places greater emphasis on certain attributes. For instance valuing a players chance of becoming a 'star' more than if the prospect will fill a baseline.

unless i am recalling it wrong, he put 3 leafs in the top 50 drafted prospects lists before the draft. that seems to be consistent with a pattern of putting a lot of emphasis on the attribute of being a leaf draft pick.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
How and why he values players is exactly why he is closer to a hack than a reputable scout..

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think there's some magic formula to being a good amateur scout.

A lot of how I compile my rankings is based on statistics (especially later rounds) and reading what people who I've historically agreed with say about certain prospects.

And having Pettersson at 10 despite having one of the best D+1 seasons in the past decade is a joke.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't have any particular respect for prom man but I haven't seen any analysis or evidence to suggest that he is any worse - or any better - than any other random Joe or the potato for thst matter.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ooooooo.. Sekera out with an Achilles!
Significant news.

The stabilizer.. gone again to start the season.

Their D:

Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse
Russell, Benning
Gravel

Bouchard

WE could throw them a Left handed dman. Del Zotto would be a close replacement.

They'll probably go cheap, familiar, low risk low reward with Davidson..

Otherwise... Enstrom and SBISA are out there still.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ooooooo.. Sekera out with an Achilles!
Significant news.

The stabilizer.. gone again to start the season.

Their D:

Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse
Russell, Benning
Gravel

Bouchard

WE could throw them a Left handed dman. Del Zotto would be a close replacement.

They'll probably go cheap, familiar, low risk low reward with Davidson..

Otherwise... Enstrom and SBISA are out there still.
Never mind... I guess Sekera was slotted for their right side.
So now in need for RD... like 60% of the league.

At least it will seriously cost em to acquire one... OR grants Bouchard a HUGE opening to make the lineup and play this yr.

Cue the draft second guessing.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Never mind... I guess Sekera was slotted for their right side.
So now in need for RD... like 60% of the league.

At least it will seriously cost em to acquire one... OR grants Bouchard a HUGE opening to make the lineup and play this yr.

Cue the draft second guessing.

They could always pay a fortune for Tanev ;)

Reactions: Literally

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Cool.

cut.jpg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Shinkaruk traded from Calgary to Montreal for rychel. Former 1st rounders swap.

Man, hunter has not developed much. Passed over by Vegas in the ED for England who was a free agent. Not good enough to help a goal starved Calgary team. Now on team 3. Probably his last year in North America. Likely off to Europe if he doesn’t make the NHL.

Bad year for our 2013 draft class. Cassels and subban not qualified and shink in a bust for bust swap.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Shinkaruk traded from Calgary to Montreal for rychel. Former 1st rounders swap.

Man, hunter has not developed much. Passed over by Vegas in the ED for England who was a free agent. Not good enough to help a goal starved Calgary team. Now on team 3. Probably his last year in North America. Likely off to Europe if he doesn’t make the NHL.

Bad year for our 2013 draft class. Cassels and subban not qualified and shink in a bust for bust swap.

Rychel ‘s taken quite a tumble, value-wise, as well.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't have any particular respect for prom man but I haven't seen any analysis or evidence to suggest that he is any worse - or any better - than any other random Joe or the potato for thst matter.
One guy can't see enough prospects to give accurate rankings, it is just impossible. They have to fill the gaps with others reports and rankings, stats, etc.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Granlund > Shinkaruk.

But this is more of an indictment of Shinkaruk than an endorsement of Granlund.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Man o man the Oilers fans on the main trades board are sensitive about criticizing their idiot GM for trying to get Upshall. He sucks, get over it :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad