2018 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Dubas comes off like a snake oil salesman to me, thinking he's smarter than everyone else in the room but he hasn't proven anything yet still has this cult like following praising everything he does. If the Leafs didn't win the lottery and draft Matthews they'd still be at the bottom and overpaying Tavares is clearly setting the bar for their other stars to break up their core.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Dubas comes off like a snake oil salesman to me, thinking he's smarter than everyone else in the room but he hasn't proven anything yet still has this cult like following praising everything he does. If the Leafs didn't win the lottery and draft Matthews they'd still be at the bottom and overpaying Tavares is clearly setting the bar for their other stars to break up their core.

What a super convincing argument.

“I don’t like him and all the good things he’s done is just lucky. :cry::cry:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

So this is better than our own management constantly condescending to us (and no, this is/was not just Linden), and us being utterly terrible for three straight years?

Gimme some of that snake oil.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So basically Dubas has already implemented the plan that recent paper on text mining of NHL scouting proposed - some scouts are better than others based on how often they use key words in their reports. Add that to performance and analytics and at least they are doing all they can to get an advantage.

Meanwhile we (and many other teams) cling to the same scouts, or if they clean house probably just hire similar scouts that have personal relationships to the new management team rather than being really performance based.

Right now actual NHL scouting staffs across the board can't even beat the potato, so really anything he tries will probably improve their results. What's shocking is that he is one of the few who seems willing to try in the first place.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Of course he does.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If Voynov is cleared to return to the NHL I would offer him an 8 year contract at 5-6 million dollars, he could make our defensive group moving forward an elite one.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Voynov
Tryamkin - Woo

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Yes, I get it.

Even at his peak, Voynov wasn't worth that much.

Giving a garbage person who isn't even that good a massive contract like that is completely asinine.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Yes, I get it.

Even at his peak, Voynov wasn't worth that much.

Giving a garbage person who isn't even that good a massive contract like that is completely asinine.

He's a top pairing defenseman. How can you honestly say he isn't worth that much? Legal issues aside, he's an extremely valuable player on the ice.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
What a super convincing argument.

“I don’t like him and all the good things he’s done is just lucky. :cry::cry:

Look, clearly Dubas has something going on. In my view, he looks at things a bit differently, and as a result, he is trying things others may not try. I might prefer to have someone like this running the team I support. Gillis had some of this in him, but then he was also just a prickly individual.

But your response to this, liked by many apparently, must have been about something else than his post. Because, it is completely fair that someone else might see Dubas's schtick in a negative way- to each his own.

For sure, what he said in his post was not even close to what you responded to.... Why such a sarcastic response? In what way did he say that "all the good things he's done is just lucky"?

He clearly stated the one lucky thing that happened to the leafs (which has nothing to do with anything Dubas has "done," lucky or not), winning the draft lottery for a player like Mathews- changed the direction of the franchise. And it no doubt did. Then he actually points out one piece of supporting argument to his idea that Dubas might not be all golden, he suggests that spending as much on a second star in Tavares might just cause the Leafs issues in Cap management in the future- certainly not a disproven idea at this point.

I certainly didn't read his comment, in isolation, as having anything to do with comparing Benning to Dubas, the Canucks management to the Leafs, or anything other than just responding to all of excitement over things Dubas is doing with some opposite perspective. Subsequent comments by posters also seemed to suggest this was in his post? Curious responses by all to a simple post that without doubt is fair for someone to post (supported by both opinion and evidence, as opposed to your post in response).

Not trying to be a prick, but I do not understand the prick response.... Again, to each his own, I guess.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I see Emerson Etem is still holding out against hope that he still has a prayer.
Since the 2015-16 season he has managed to play 25 games of professional hockey:
2016-17
Anaheim Ducks (NHL)- 2
San Diego Gulls (AHL)- 1
2017-18
Tuscon Roadrunners (AHL) - 16
HC Lugano (NLA/Swiss League) - 5

He has been invited to the LA Kings Training Camp.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Fingers crossed that Dubas goes full Epstein and after winning a championship or two for the second most storied team in the sport, one with a sad sack recent history, decides to go West and lead the saddest team in their sport to a championship.

Can only hope.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

What part seems fraudulent to you? The part where they are hiring based on their actual merit/answers and not things like sex, connections, appearance etc?

This is literally the opposite of how the Canucks hire their staff. Played for Vancouver? You are hired! Related to an executive? You are hired! Been with the company for years but have consistently performed poorly? Part of our culture!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
1) Voynov was/is a very, very good D-man.

2) He should never see another game in the NHL. Not that I'm against second chances, provided a guy actually admits to doing something wrong and doing something to address the issues they have. I'm not sure Voynov has actually done that. If so then good for him. That said, I just don't think it's worth the circus in and out of the locker room for any team to bring him in. Kings still own his rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
What part seems fraudulent to you? The part where they are hiring based on their actual merit/answers and not things like sex, connections, appearance etc?

This is literally the opposite of how the Canucks hire their staff. Played for Vancouver? You are hired! Related to an executive? You are hired! Been with the company for years but have consistently performed poorly? Part of our culture!

Why couldnt they just do what they normally do while not being sexist? Why put on a dog and pony show? The whole thing is basically communicating that they wouldve otherwise discriminated on the basis of sex if not for this anonymization.

There’s nothing to suggest that the Canucks don’t base decisions in the scouting department on merit especially given the success of the scouting department under Benning. There’s something to be said about taking care of the people who bled on the ice or made sacrifices for your organization and the people in it if they want an opportunity to contribute to the organization’s scouting department. There’s no reason why you can’t do that and also make decisions on merit and have a successful scouting department. By the way, so many hypocrites here who are liking this post preaching about how the only thing that matters is job performance and no other factors are also the same people who don’t care about Voynov’s on ice merit but only look at his background/other factors. Pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad