2018 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Bieksa's name is being attached to the Oilers. That feels wrong.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Karlsson gets a 1 year deal 5.25 mil. with LV, avoids arbitration.

That's how I thought his contract should be handled. 1 year at high $$$ to reward his season, and if he does it again Vegas will be happy to pay him long term. It's not in Karlsson's best interest to accept a Burrows-like contract at this point, and to risky for Vegas to go big $$$ long term.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
sens signing stone to a one year deal feels like a death sentence to that franchise. i think they lose everyone next year and struggle to sign anyone.

There's really no such thing as a death sentence in the NHL. Yeah it really sucks for them that they're probably going to lose their 3 best players, will finish in the basement, and don't have their own 1st round pick... but after that they basically get a complete reset. While they won't have their own first if they flip their upcoming UFA's they should be able to get a minimum 1st rounder for each one, and starting from the 2020 draft they should get 3-5 years of high lottery picks.

So basically while it's embarrassing how the team fell apart they're due for an overhaul anyways and have the opportunity to wipe the slate clean right from the start, something our franchise has struggled with.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There's really no such thing as a death sentence in the NHL. Yeah it really sucks for them that they're probably going to lose their 3 best players, will finish in the basement, and don't have their own 1st round pick... but after that they basically get a complete reset. While they won't have their own first if they flip their upcoming UFA's they should be able to get a minimum 1st rounder for each one, and starting from the 2020 draft they should get 3-5 years of high lottery picks.

So basically while it's embarrassing how the team fell apart they're due for an overhaul anyways and have the opportunity to wipe the slate clean right from the start, something our franchise has struggled with.

Sens have the same problem we do but instead of a slimeball, they got an anxiety-ridden money-troubled owner who doesn't know how to stay in the shadows.

The Aquilinis have been done a masterful job in deflecting blame and keep under the radar the last 3 years. The most recent Linden stuff is a perfect example of how even with the most iconic player in team history walking out on the team, the fan anger is still pretty diffused due to how they've insulated themselves and how they've spun the story with bootlickers like Simmons.

Meanwhile in Ottawa...

TB5eb8Y.png

While it's true the Sens aren't signing vets to long term deals, they ARE still pretty horrific at the whole asset management thing and are a total and utter crap show.

From near Cup final to total faceplant — what's happened to the Ottawa Senators? | CBC Sports

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
lol, that won't work in any manner. Melnyk is a type of personality that if you try to force him to do something, he will bite back even harder.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, the Aquamen have it in their favour that they have demonstrated they can hire good people and let them do their jobs. So there is that.

*edit* Oh, hf just went autistic again today, huh? Great. Good thing we did the whole server migration business. That really helped with stability.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Aquilinis have been done a masterful job in deflecting blame and keep under the radar the last 3 years. The most recent Linden stuff is a perfect example of how even with the most iconic player in team history walking out on the team, the fan anger is still pretty diffused due to how they've insulated themselves and how they've spun the story with bootlickers like Simmons.
Sens don't have anybody like Boeser (or possibly soon to be Petterson and/or Demko). It would be no different had Karlsson just come up from the minors vs leaving town. Those guys have - for the moment - been able to deflect alot of closer scrutiny on the on-ice product for the past few years from the rank & file fans.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sens have the same problem we do but instead of a slimeball, they got an anxiety-ridden money-troubled owner who doesn't know how to stay in the shadows.

Meanwhile in Ottawa...

TB5eb8Y.png

While it's true the Sens aren't signing vets to long term deals, they ARE still pretty horrific at the whole asset management thing and are a total and utter crap show.

From near Cup final to total faceplant — what's happened to the Ottawa Senators? | CBC Sports

Yes obviously Melnyk needs to shut up or check out here. But what I meant was their current situation, where they almost made the finals to so went all in but the very next year bottomed out with some unusual locker room drama and now will be losing their 3 best players in a year, can be mitigated with a quick slash & burn. Doesn't necessarily mean that's what they are going to do but at the moment there are no Sedin's, Weber's, Price's, etc to clog up the needed rebuild work.

While their playoff run a year ago was impressive it was also likely a fluke that they'd have a hard time repeating, and without the meltdown would probably be looking at another 5 years of mediocrity. Ottawa's been kind of a weird team the last 10 years where they keep flip flopping between good-bad seasons, basically alternating between 85/95 point seasons the entire time. Without this meltdown they'd probably be looking at more of the same for another 5 years.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Meanwhile in Ottawa...

TB5eb8Y.png

Yes obviously Melnyk needs to shut up or check out here. But what I meant was their current situation, where they almost made the finals to so went all in but the very next year bottomed out with some unusual locker room drama and now will be losing their 3 best players in a year, can be mitigated with a quick slash & burn. Doesn't necessarily mean that's what they are going to do but at the moment there are no Sedin's, Weber's, Price's, etc to clog up the needed rebuild work.

While their playoff run a year ago was impressive it was also likely a fluke that they'd have a hard time repeating, and without the meltdown would probably be looking at another 5 years of mediocrity. Ottawa's been kind of a weird team the last 10 years where they keep flip flopping between good-bad seasons, basically alternating between 85/95 point seasons the entire time. Without this meltdown they'd probably be looking at more of the same for another 5 years.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Well, the Aquamen have it in their favour that they have demonstrated they can hire good people and let them do their jobs. So there is that.

*edit* Oh, hf just went autistic again today, huh? Great. Good thing we did the whole server migration business. That really helped with stability.
They're not stupid people.

The problem for us fans that know better is that they treat hockey like a hobby and not as a business.

And when you spend time on hobbies, you typically don't make decisions based on logic.

You typically go with your gut because hobbies don't put money on the table.

Sure they have demonstrated that they can hire good people IE Gillis and Gilman.

But, that was during the honey moon stage of their Canuck ownership and the team that they bought was the work of three separate GMs starting in 1999 with the drafting of the Sedins.

They bought a really really shiny bauble and had a lot of fun winning with it. Then it stopped winning and players started getting really unhappy and what did they do? They hired Torts to play the eff out of the remaining guys leading to injury land as well as the end of Hank's ironman streak.

Well, today in 2018, we are well past that honey moon stage now and Jimbo just got extended 3 more years.

Based on the recent terrible history of team and personnel mismanagement and PR SNAFU's, I'm not comforted one bit by the fact that once upon a time the Aquilinis hired good people to run this team.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sens don't have anybody like Boeser (or possibly soon to be Petterson and/or Demko). It would be no different had Karlsson just come up from the minors vs leaving town. Those guys have - for the moment - been able to deflect alot of closer scrutiny on the on-ice product for the past few years from the rank & file fans.

That'd could have been us if the Lucic trade went down. Scary how close they came.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

So....

I'm not going to assume anything here nor am I trying to offend.

Doesn't necessarily mean that's what they are going to do but at the moment there are no Sedin's, Weber's, Price's, etc to clog up the needed rebuild work.

Do you honestly think the Sedins being in the line up were clogging up the needed rebuild work?

I point to 2014-15 which was the last year we saw the 2011 veterans having fun playing hockey with their resulting individual player stats reflecting this.

IMO, the only person(s) that have been gumming up the "needed rebuild work" were the Aquilinis.

The 2011 core players were extremely competent professional hockey players that became more and more jaded as the years went by. Their jadedness can be seen in the 2012 flip the switch campaign, it can be seen in the sweep by the Sharks, it can be seen in the hiring of Torts to cure the "country club atmosphere", it can be seen in Chris Higgins not giving a single eff and getting ignominiously demoted to Utica, it can be seen in the pouting of Vrbata etc etc etc etc.

2011 happened because we were legitimately an extremely good team with extremely good players.

Ottawa on the other hand... I don't know enough about the situation to have a strong opinion one way or another.

However, I do know a person can do some pretty crazy things when they are hurting for money (which Melnyk most assuredly is).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So....

I'm not going to assume anything here nor am I trying to offend.

Do you honestly think the Sedins being in the line up were clogging up the needed rebuild work?

I point to 2014-15 which was the last year we saw the 2011 veterans having fun playing hockey with their resulting individual player stats reflecting this.

IMO, the only person(s) that have been gumming up the "needed rebuild work" were the Aquilinis.

The 2011 core players were extremely competent professional hockey players that became more and more jaded as the years went by. Their jadedness can be seen in the 2012 flip the switch campaign, it can be seen in the sweep by the Sharks, it can be seen in the hiring of Torts to cure the "country club atmosphere", it can be seen in Chris Higgins not giving a single eff and getting ignominiously demoted to Utica, it can be seen in the pouting of Vrbata etc etc etc etc.

2011 happened because we were legitimately an extremely good team with extremely good players.

Ottawa on the other hand... I don't know enough about the situation to have a strong opinion one way or another.

However, I do know a person can do some pretty crazy things when they are hurting for money (which Melnyk most assuredly is).

No I agree and personally think the Sedin's were great guys to have around for a rebuild 4 years ago. They're contracts had an end in sight, and they weren't good enough alone anymore to push us up the standings - something you can't say the same of with Erik Karlsson or if he bounces back Carey Price. I was more referring to them here because they created a risk with misguided ownership/management won't do what needs to be done.

Either way though I wasn't saying Ottawa has a good situation, I was replying to someone saying their franchise was finished and pointing out some positives they have compared to their fellow basement dwellers. There's no end of the road here, these things work more on a sliding scale: if you screw up moving your 1st round pick(s) (ex: Toronto Kessel trade) you're just pushing your transition window back a year.

While they need to work out ownership if Ottawa management plays there cards right they can pull off something roughly similar to when we traded Schneider for Horvat. It wasn't the best value deal but it was what fit our window the best.

Reactions: mathonwy

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What is so bad about it? Prime years and he's a been a good starter for three years .920+ every one of those years. Career .923. 8 years is a risk but they are only until he's 32/33.

He's a good regular season starter, sure. But the team has also been good during that time. Either they have 1-2 years of Getzlaff/Perry window left or they're the Blackhawks.

So, the term of the contract doesn't make sense.

Second, Gibson is a anticipatory, play-reading goalie. If he is not on his game reading the play then he can look absolutely awful. He doesn't have a great technical base to put his freelancing on top of. That's why he hasn't fared too well in the playoffs so far. Even the year before last when he put up a .918 I watched him I didn't like him against Edmonton for sure, when he didn't perform as necessary first when they had a chance to put the series away, then in Game 6 when Edmonton forced Game 7. I also didn't think he was great against Nashville despite some of the high shot totals.

The fall-off-a-cliff risk is higher for this type of goaltender IMO. If he had shown me more technical development (he's been in the league four years now) in this time then I would have a different opinion.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad