2018 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He's a good regular season starter, sure. But the team has also been good during that time. Either they have 1-2 years of Getzlaff/Perry window left or they're the Blackhawks.

So, the term of the contract doesn't make sense.

Second, Gibson is a anticipatory, play-reading goalie. If he is not on his game reading the play then he can look absolutely awful. He doesn't have a great technical base to put his freelancing on top of. That's why he hasn't fared too well in the playoffs so far. Even the year before last when he put up a .918 I watched him I didn't like him against Edmonton for sure, when he didn't perform as necessary first when they had a chance to put the series away, then in Game 6 when Edmonton forced Game 7. I also didn't think he was great against Nashville despite some of the high shot totals.

The fall-off-a-cliff risk is higher for this type of goaltender IMO. If he had shown me more technical development (he's been in the league four years now) in this time then I would have a different opinion.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sad to hear of Stan Mikita's passing. He was truly one of the greatest of all time.
Began his career as sort of a dirtbag, but cleaned up his act and turned himself into a 2-time Lady Byng winner and played the game as a true gentleman.

He is also the only player to have won the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng.

RIP Stan Mikita.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Corey Pronman has released the top 5 worst prospect pools (the rest will be coming week by week) in his rankings..

Calgary Flames are rated 29th,their fanbase is not going to be happy about that....In all fairness though,many of their young players have already graduated straight into the NHL (Tkachuk,Monahan).

Pronman: 2018-19 NHL farm system rankings

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sad to hear of Stan Mikita's passing. He was truly one of the greatest of all time.
Began his career as sort of a dirtbag, but cleaned up his act and turned himself into a 2-time Lady Byng winner and played the game as a true gentleman.

RIP Stan Mikita.

Huh. I had thought that Henrik had won the Byng at some point but I guess he was just nominated.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Corey Pronman has released the top 5 worst prospect pools (the rest will be coming week by week) in his rankings..

Calgary Flames are rated 29th,their fanbase is not going to be happy about that....In all fairness though,many of their young players have already graduated straight into the NHL (Tkachuk,Monahan).

Yeah, focusing on prospect pools without factoring in players that have graduated to the NHL can be a little misleading. It gives you a sense of how much additional help might be on the way, but it's not a full picture of how much young talent is actually in the organization.

Most glaring example — Boston is rated 27th because Pastrnak, McAvoy, Carlo, Debrusk, Heinen and Bjork are all in the NHL. But they have one of the best collections of young players drafted since 2014 (might even be better than ours, though our prospect pool is clearly better).

Reactions: lindgren

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

RIP Stan Mikita.

Huh. I had thought that Henrik had won the Byng at some point but I guess he was just nominated.

i think that means all three at the same time. because gretzky has all three, as do martin st louis and mikita's own teammate bobby hull.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah, focusing on prospect pools without factoring in players that have graduated to the NHL can be a little misleading. It gives you a sense of how much additional help might be on the way, but it's not a full picture of how much young talent is actually in the organization.

Most glaring example — Boston is rated 27th because Pastrnak, McAvoy, Carlo, Debrusk, Heinen and Bjork are all in the NHL. But they have one of the best collections of young players drafted since 2014 (might even be better than ours, though our prospect pool is clearly better).

It is incredibly dumb.

Quinn Hughes going back to college means our prospect pool can remain strong while other teams weaken their prospect pools by having their top prospects turn pro. Hopefully Pettersson doesn't play in the nhl so he can continue to strengthen our prospect pool!

So dumb. Anyone who talks up our "prospect pool" is pushing an agenda.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

more suprised with tampa. i thought the lightning were supposed to have a great farm system stuffed with prospects from all the extra picks yzerman grabbed a while back.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i think it is a useful metric in terms of evaluating teams by knowing what help the team can expect shortly. most people can then apply that to the more known quantity of the current team roster and assess the overall health of the franchise. thus, you see a team like calgary that is a bubble team at the nhl level and you worry there is no help coming.

if you are judging overall recent performance in developing talent then i agree it is just one of several factors you would evaluate.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It is incredibly dumb.

Quinn Hughes going back to college means our prospect pool can remain strong while other teams weaken their prospect pools by having their top prospects turn pro. Hopefully Pettersson doesn't play in the nhl so he can continue to strengthen our prospect pool!

you seem to be pushing an agenda of your own there, mr. happy pants.

Reactions: nucks88

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Prospects should be drafted un-signed players plus ELC players. It tips the scales and shows who really has the best prospects.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It is incredibly dumb.

So, what's your agenda?

How can you say we haven't got one of the best prospect pools?

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Prospect pools isn't the best gauge for a team's up and coming players at all. The better measure would be to look at your players not yet turned pro AND any players less than say... 21 years in age.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So, what's your agenda?

How can you say we haven't got one of the best prospect pools?

I never said we didn't have one of the best prospect pools. I said it doesn't matter and it's a dumb thing to brag about. I've made this analogy before, but it's like being unemployed and bragging about how many job interwiews you have lined up.

Yeah, it's better to have five interviews scheduled than it is to have 0, and you're probably better off than another unemployed person who has fewer, but it's way better to have a job.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
like Brayden Point? He's in the NHL.

well, other than point, there are not many recent tampa draft picks who have graduated to the nhl.
there should be a boatload of prospects on their farm team. i count 33 picks from 2013-2017 who are not in the nhl, not counting the last draft.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I never said we didn't have one of the best prospect pools. I said it doesn't matter and it's a dumb thing to brag about. I've made this analogy before, but it's like being unemployed and bragging about how many job interwiews you have lined up.

Yeah, it's better to have five interviews scheduled than it is to have 0, and you're probably better off than another unemployed person who has fewer, but it's way better to have a job.

I wouldn't say it's totally pointless to "brag" about prospect pool, if said pool is actually looking outstanding.

But your point stands - ultimately, it's about the NHL ice. Prospects aren't worth jack shit if they can't perform against NHL teams and contribute to the team's journey towards the cup. If a prospect tears up AHL with 90 pts a season but falls flat on his face with every call-up, it really doesn't matter how much he dominates in AHL, he will still be considered a bust.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Having a ton of picks doesn't mean you'll have a ton of NHLers in the future. Nothing will guarantee that. It will improve your chances of unearthing them by virtue of essentially having more lottery scratch tickets. And with multiple picks - you can afford to take 'home run type swings' on prospects (boom or bust).

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
more suprised with tampa. i thought the lightning were supposed to have a great farm system stuffed with prospects from all the extra picks yzerman grabbed a while back.
Tampa does have a fantastic farm team. They were fourth in the AHL with one of the youngest teams in the league. Four of their top six scorers and their number one goalie were 97 born rookies.

Plus they are adding Foote, Katchouk, Raddysh, and Somppi this season.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Tampa does have a fantastic farm team. They were fourth in the AHL with one of the youngest teams in the league. Four of their top six scorers and their number one goalie were 97 born rookies.

Plus they are adding Foote, Katchouk, Raddysh, and Somppi this season.

that would be more consistent with what i had heard. so i wonder why pronman rates them so low.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
the opposite of the "agenda" you accused the folks praising the prospect pool of having.

That doesn't even make any sense at all if you put an ounce of thought into it. How does that even work? What would be my incentive? You're resorting to the laziest form of retort without even thinking about it.

I wasn't even talking to you but I think you're old enough not to resort to "I know you are but what am I" as an argument.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad