RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
26685977_10155751606812819_2641106831374388478_o.jpg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nah - frankly I doubt I'll be watching. I just like our boys getting the accolades.
Don't really care either. The skill competition can be fun to watch but I really don't care enough to get up at night to watch the game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So much complaining about us having 4 players. Those 4 players are all top of their positions in the league. If any one of them were left off, they would headline the 'snubs' list.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So much complaining about us having 4 players. Those 4 players are all top of their positions in the league. If any one of them were left off, they would headline the 'snubs' list.
Who's complaining? Unless Leafs fans really think Reilly or Andersen deserve to be there over Hedman and Vasilevskiy.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
3 players now. I'm assuming Rielly will take Hedman's spot.

Not necessarily. Possibly might miss it, but it's still 20 days away.

Side note - the 3v3 is kinda boring mostly because no one really wants to accidentally hurt each other. The guys will give each other a light tap, but that's about it. I know hitting isn't 'everything' but you're not gonna see a guy go 120% and possibly pull his groin trying to catch some dude on a breakaway lol

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We haven't really talked about All-Star festivities, but this Kid Rock business is another brand withdrawal for the NHL. Thankfully, it's not being interpreted as an endorsement by the Lightning.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
We haven't really talked about All-Star festivities, but this Kid Rock business is another brand withdrawal for the NHL. Thankfully, it's not being interpreted as an endorsement by the Lightning.
I was worried about backlash against the Bolts too when I first saw it. Wish the NHL could have picked literally any other year to decide to be controversial. Just let Tampa host a nice, quiet ASG goddamn it

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I was worried about backlash against the Bolts too when I first saw it. Wish the NHL could have picked literally any other year to decide to be controversial. Just let Tampa host a nice, quiet ASG goddamn it
At least on TV, the musical people are whatever. NBC talks them up in their studio show, but any fan who has been with the NHL for a few years know they aren't exactly the NFL in getting performers.

Maybe they should change strategies. The Super Bowl didn't get the big performers of the day until like 91'. (New Kids on the Block, btw). Who would really miss Cee Lo Green or whoever versus a 'salute to [host city] for the [winter classic/asg]'? They've got a shitload of room on the field for the Winter Classic as it is.

Another way to go about it is to basically come out the other end of irrelevance. Get acts that are well liked, but somewhat vintage. Earth, Wind, and Fire. Stuff like that. Bands that peaked in like the 70's. They get to expose their music to a new generation, and the NHL gets to make some headway into minority demographics. EW&F performed at the Rose Bowl Parade. Right about where the NHL should be scouting.

Toto is touring again. The internet would probably go nuts.

Basically it's what's going on with indie video games. The NHL is giving us Nintendo 64 games. Those games look and play shitty right now. What's been in has been NES 8-bit (and SNES 16-bit). If you don't play, you'd think that those games are even older and shittier, and that was true maybe 12-15 years ago, but they've come out the other end now into charming and classic.

Last edited:

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017

Wait a minute, wait, wait, wait... what the hell is wrong with Kid Rock? How in the ever loving hell is that "brand withdrawal"???
At least they picked someone other than Brian Adams for a change (nothing wrong with him, I get it, he's a good Canadian boy, rah rah)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Wait a minute, wait, wait, wait... what the hell is wrong with Kid Rock? How in the ever loving hell is that "brand withdrawal"???
At least they picked someone other than Brian Adams for a change (nothing wrong with him, I get it, he's a good Canadian boy, rah rah)
Ummmm....

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Is there a current news story or something that I missed? How is Kid Rock controversial? Honestly curious.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Is there a current news story or something that I missed? How is Kid Rock controversial? Honestly curious.
He's extremely outspoken politically(his politics, not his music, are like 90% of the attention he gets these days) and anytime you have strong politics you have controversy whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Meanwhile there are countless other artists that could have been booked which wouldn't have created any sort of negative stir and would have been more appropriate.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Kid Rock gets double criticism here because he's both in the pit of irrelevancy (NHL normal) and he's got politics. Unpopular politics especially on the internet.

Shoresy Snipes

May 6, 2017
Kid Rock gets double criticism here because he's both in the pit of irrelevancy (NHL normal) and he's got politics. Unpopular politics especially on the internet.

I've seen KR live like a half dozen times. Granted that was many years ago, but the dude puts on one hell of a live show. Some of the good parts prolly can't be aired on network TV tho.

Screw the politics crap. The "easily offended" crowd is going to b*tch and moan and complain no matter what.
This is only about a music performance during an intermission of a horribly set up, meaningless exhibition sideshow where none of the performers care (ie. The NHL"just don't get injured" All Star Show... I mean game... No, show is better)

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
He's extremely outspoken politically(his politics, not his music, are like 90% of the attention he gets these days) and anytime you have strong politics you have controversy whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Meanwhile there are countless other artists that could have been booked which wouldn't have created any sort of negative stir and would have been more appropriate.
I guess I can see that, although, of the top of my head, literally any other possibility that I can think of who's even somewhat relevant was either shilling for a particular candidate before the election, or has been outspoken on social media since the election. Kind of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario.

Besides, the event will absolutely be better without the kind of people who would boycott it over something as ridiculously tangential as the political affiliation of one of the supporting acts. Smh.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The media and internet go bonkers over politics (and everything is political now). I'm not sure it matters as much to ordinary people. If the objective was to get people talking though, they succeeded.

I will say is that the early positive response I saw was centered around one-dimensional Red Team/political stuff/sticking it to Blue Team. (Blue Team does this too when the time arises) Probably not what the NHL intended to project.

He'll sing two songs and NBC will probably cut the second one off for a commercial. Life will go on. No one's politics will change. Everybody's just got to live with each other.

The advantage they have here again is the internet. People will be tweeting what's going on at the Fan Fest, and if they have some talented local bands and stuff who happen to have visible minorities and women, then there'll be a sense that everyone is indeed being included. It doesn't have to all be on the intermission show, and the world doesn't have to end here.

Last edited:

Shoresy Snipes

May 6, 2017
What they could do is buffer the event with plenty of visible minority performers outside the Amalie so word will get out and muddy the water on there being an agenda.

You mean like plenty of Russians, Swedes, and Czechs performing outside? That kind? Cause that's the world wide fan base. I imagine today there must be something wrong with that though. No lack of complainers complaining.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad