GDT: 2018 ALCS - Boston Red Sox vs. Houston Astros

Who will advance to the World Series?

• Total voters

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
This is a terrible post, so much salt.

Who the **** cares about payroll.

Red Sox fans whined about Yankees payroll when it was like 85 million above the second place team. It was a stupid argument back then, it's a stupid argument now. Payroll =/= Winning. 5 of the top 10 teams in payroll missed the playoffs. Also, fwiw Astros payroll is only as low as it is, because they still have their big 4 of Springer, Bregman, Altuve, and Correa making a grand total of 22.6 million. Have fun when Bregman and Correa, and Springer (still) are all arb eligible after 2019, not to mention Altuve's extension kicking in at 26 million a year. Will the Astros be on your **** list for big money spenders then? Those 4 easily will be north of 50-60 million.

Red Sox fans are obnoxious? Okay that's great. Could care less. I think Yankee fans are obnoxious. It's almostas if disliking a team makes you dislike their fans! WOW!!!

I love you chastizing them for signing free agents in Martinez and Price as if they are the only team to do so. They cashed in a farm system to acquire guys they wanted in Sale, Kimbrel, Porcello, etc. They also have an entire home grown outfield, which is a top 3, if not the best OF in the game. a home grown at 3rd and SS in Devers and Bogey, and a home grown behind the dish in Vasquez.

Also, Mookie Betts getting a steroid accusation might be the funniest thing I've read here. Want to know why he's good? He has quick hands. Does small guy Jose Altuve do steriods too because hits 25HR a year? No he also has quick hands. Don't need to be a big bulky guy to hit bombs.

It's almost like....they know how to build a team via every avenue available??? What a novel concept.

Ah a die hard Sox fan I see
Don't worry about Correa Springer etc....the Sox or the Yanks will grab those as they usually do..
They got some of those international prospects because if their violations.
I knew you'd bring up Altuve and yes maybe he's on those too. Betts though ...was he expected to be this type of player ..you tell me.
How does that happen??
And yes some very rare players of small stature have great bat speed. But that in itself isn't always enough. Timing is also key . And other factors. Mookie... where the heck did this nobody come from?
I agree the Yanks are rude and obnoxious almost as much as the Sox fans but much to my chagrin ..you can begin sipping the champagne .. the WS is yours as I have been calling pretty much the whole season as I was. In 2013 where I also called The Ugly philosophers(since they had those ugly beards) to win the WS.
Players I despised the most on that team: youkilis , pedroia . Napoli and ellsbury

Last edited:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ah a die hard Sox fan I see
Don't worry about Correa Springer etc....the Sox or the Yanks will grab those as they usually do..
They got some of those international prospects because if their violations.
I knew you'd bring up Altuve and yes maybe he's on those too. Betts though ...was he expected to be this type of player ..you tell me.
How does that happen??
And yes some very rare players of small stayed have great bat speed. But that in itself isn't always enough. Timing is also key . And other factors. Mookie... where the heck did this nobody come from?
I agree the Yanks are rude and obnoxious almost as much as the Sox fans but much to my chagrin ..you can begin sipping the champagne .. the WS is yours as I have been calling pretty much the whole season as I was. In 2013 where I also called The Ugly philosophers(since they had those ugly beards) to win the WS.
Players I despised the most on that team: youkilis , pedroia . Napoli and ellsbury
Did you even bother to read my post?

Mookie was far from a nobody prospect.

Reactions: Alicat

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Nothing wrong with spending the money if you have it. Quite the opposite, considering the prices Sox fans apparently pay for tickets, concessions etc., they should riot if the team ran a sub 200 million payroll while in a position to contend. There's no trophy given out for spending efficiency.

There are many instances where trophies aren't given out ..but any random objective fan would givemore credit to teams that win the WS a la Astros, Marlins, KC, and man I wish the Brewers win but fat chance...
Would like for a a very small salary cap in MLB with no way to exceed it...then let's see how genius the hateful Sox and Yanks will do? You can also add the dodgers but they just can't get it done.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Did you even bother to read my post?

Mookie was far from a nobody prospect.

Yes he did have quite some accolades in his youth baseball years...yet he was drafted 172nd overall... Oh yeah im sure he was expected to be the power hitter he is now to the Sox and the rest of the teams
Hey what's he weigh ?...180 lbs or is that including those discrete gold chains he wears?
Mookie the nobody now the somebody and he sure wants the world to know it

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
More to the point, Betts wasn't projected as a power hitter. In 2011 and 2012, Betts played the first 72 games of his pro career career without hitting a single homer.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The power began to manifest itself somewhat the following year when he belted 15 homers between Low-A Greenville and High-A Salem, but still, few envisioned that Betts would show this kind of power at the major league level.
He was athletic, with extra-base capability, and speed. But a 30-home run hitter? That wasn't in the cards.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

Red Sox fans whined about Yankees payroll when it was like 85 million above the second place team. It was a stupid argument back then, it's a stupid argument now. Payroll =/= Winning. 5 of the top 10 teams in payroll missed the playoffs. Also, fwiw Astros payroll is only as low as it is, because they still have their big 4 of Springer, Bregman, Altuve, and Correa making a grand total of 22.6 million. Have fun when Bregman and Correa, and Springer (still) are all arb eligible after 2019, not to mention Altuve's extension kicking in at 26 million a year. Will the Astros be on your **** list for big money spenders then? Those 4 easily will be north of 50-60 million.

Red Sox fans are obnoxious? Okay that's great. Could care less. I think Yankee fans are obnoxious. It's almostas if disliking a team makes you dislike their fans! WOW!!!

I love you chastizing them for signing free agents in Martinez and Price as if they are the only team to do so. They cashed in a farm system to acquire guys they wanted in Sale, Kimbrel, Porcello, etc. They also have an entire home grown outfield, which is a top 3, if not the best OF in the game. a home grown at 3rd and SS in Devers and Bogey, and a home grown behind the dish in Vasquez.

Also, Mookie Betts getting a steroid accusation might be the funniest thing I've read here. Want to know why he's good? He has quick hands. Does small guy Jose Altuve do steriods too because hits 25HR a year? No he also has quick hands. Don't need to be a big bulky guy to hit bombs.

It's almost like....they know how to build a team via every avenue available??? What a novel concept.

It’s only around the last ten years or so that the Red Sox started spending big money in UFA. But what the Sox have always done that the Yankees hadn’t as much was make big trades. The Yankees never had a farm system like they did now. They would always just sign everyone. For all the major signing the Red Sox have made since the the Curt Schilling days, there have also been many major trades that involved prospect depth.

Betts, Benintendi, Bradley, Bogaerts, Vazquez, Swihart, Barnes, Devers and others all came up through the system and Sale and Kimbrel cost major assets at the time.

They absolutely spent a shit ton of money on Price, Martinez and Porcello, but that’s three players on an entire roster.

It is what it is, the Sox have a lot of money. I find it interesting you’re characterizing an entire fan base as obnoxious when you wished injuries on the Red Sox in the World Series.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
who is this marcobruin dude that came out the woodwork? The "bruin" in his name would leave me ot believe he is a sox fan but it looks like he's hating on them

Reactions: All Might

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Add the fact the team with the lowest payroll finished with the 4th best season recordwise.

Scouting and roster management are way more crucial to success than the total payroll.

Reactions: JRull86

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
...what.

Also, pretty common knowledge that power is typically the last thing to develop for hitters.

Or is that the time when they decide they need a supplement to
Largely supplement their income.

If you ask.me his "power" is beyond expectations and reason..
You mentioned Altuve ...well he only hit 13 this season ..that might very well be where it belongs. But this Mookie Guy...Boy I tell you what an exception too much too comprehend . really

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Add the fact the team with the lowest payroll finished with the 4th best season recordwise.

Scouting and roster management are way more crucial to success than the total payroll.
Nailed it.

FA's are always going to command money, and they are an essential piece of the puzzle, but more often than not, a team needs a combination of home grown talent, and players acquired via trade to round out the roster.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Like I said ..let's implement a much lower cap and then let's see.
The mighty Sox and Yanks.. mgmt yes scouting too especially when the team is violating international
Rules. And let's face it how important or where would baseball be if not for Dominicans
Venezuelans Japanese Puerto Ricans , Cubans etc....

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Or is that the time when they decide they need a supplement to
Largely supplement their income.

If you ask.me his "power" is beyond expectations and reason..
You mentioned Altuve ...well he only hit 13 this season ..that might very well be where it belongs. But this Mookie Guy...Boy I tell you what an exception too much too comprehend . really
Yes an Altuve hit 24 both in 2016 and 2017, what's your point?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Yes an Altuve hit 24 both in 2016 and 2017, what's your point?

Point? You drew the comparison
Not me ...Altuve 13 hrs last yr
Mookie 32
Not to be compared so . either it's a fluke , or taking some supplement or maybe he went to Disney and was given magical powers. The skeptceism is so reasonable.
Next you didn't comment on your soxs violating the international scouting rules..
Let's see without even searching ..say they had conform would they have gotten Moncada who btw was the key player in the Sale trade..so would they have gotten Sale?.
And again if they don't sign Martinez? And even Price?
Where would they be...I'll tell you where ...home where they belong if mlb would implement lower and stricter salary caps..then let's see the genius behind mgmt( it's a lot harder my friend)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Like I said ..let's implement a much lower cap and then let's see.
The mighty Sox and Yanks.. mgmt yes scouting too especially when the team is violating international
Rules. And let's face it how important or where would baseball be if not for Dominicans
Venezuelans Japanese Puerto Ricans , Cubans etc....
Why lower the cap? So billionaire owners can keep even more money?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I’d like to know what steroid Mookie is taking to give him the fastest hands in the league

You may have to ask Ramirez , Ortiz Rodriguez ..take ur pick?
But don't ask the Sox because they won't have an answer ..since no one in their right mind expected this Mookie smookie to hit with that much power .In fact no one even expected him to hit for average.
So WTV ur taking Mookie somebody..keep taking it cuz u sure don't fool me and most I imagine

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Why lower the cap? So billionaire owners can keep even more money?

So it can be fair..and yes they are the owners they built their business or invested in it . They should make the money .none of this stupid rev sharing unionez who some are nothing more then illiterates who would be making nothing if not for baseball.
Hate the owners of u want it's ur right but they invested they built the teams . They deserve the money ..

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So it can be fair..and yes they are the owners they built their business or invested in it . They should make the money .none of this stupid rev sharing unionez who some are nothing more then illiterates who would be making nothing if not for baseball.
Hate the owners of u want it's ur right but they invested they built the teams . They deserve the money ..
Without the players, they don't own a team.

Just because a person plays a sport doesn't make them any less intelligent than someone who was born into wealth, like a lot of owners.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
You may have to ask Ramirez , Ortiz Rodriguez ..take ur pick?
But don't ask the Sox because they won't have an answer ..since no one in their right mind expected this Mookie smookie to hit with that much power .In fact no one even expected him to hit for average.
So WTV ur taking Mookie somebody..keep taking it cuz u sure don't fool me and most I imagine

18, 31, 24 & 32. Ah, the clear homerun totals of someone on steroids.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Without the players, they don't own a team.

Just because a person plays a sport doesn't make them any less intelligent than someone who was born into wealth, like a lot of owners.
Many of these players have little to
No education. The owners most anyways have multiple businesses.
They don't just rely on baseball. For the players baseball is their salvation for most of them anyways.They should be grateful and less greedy . Business owners are the ones who took the risk who worked hard to build their wealth to invest in MLB.these players come along who are merely products who unfortunately for the owners could speak and form unions and get a generous piece of the pie.Maybe they should remember where they came from and thank the owners for owning mlb teams because in reality...
If there was no MLB...where would these players be?
Where do you think the owners would be? Lot better off then the players that's for sure.
You mentioned the owners make billions? Who? How many make billions through MLB. If some are making a boatload from other businesses that's not to be shared with these spoiled brats of MLB players.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Uhhh he signed a peace bond to settle things amicably. There have been sources that suggested the police photos of her beating her were absolutely horrific. Luckily for him in Canada that sort of stuff is sealed and doesn’t get the immediate TMZ treatment. Of course we will never know the full story here but the idea that it was a false claim is incredibly low.

That's the problem right there, no one knows what really happened. I'm biased because I had a friend (male) in college be expelled with zero evidence for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman, when the police dismissed all charges and the woman, who was also a friend, dropped the matter saying it was a conscience crisis. Not saying that's the case here, I agree that something most likely happened, but like the Ezekiel Elliott matter last year, there's too much gray area to make a real call. Certainly not enough to say the guy's a confirmed wife beater.

What's also frustrating is right before that, Oakland traded for Jeurys Familia, someone else with domestic violence accusations and issues. Nobody says a thing on that. Chapman's issues have been forgotten.

As for the other matter, yeah if someone like Yake comes here and gloats I'm going to blast him. You don't know the history. Him and his buddy were whining all year, coming up with the most ridiculous reasons why Houston kept beating Oakland over and over and over all season. It got old in May. They were both also fighting with half the board I noticed the night their team got spanked by NY.

I have no problem with Boston winning, they played extremely well and like I've already said many times I tip my hat to them and their fans. But I have no patience for a fans who come here to gloat when their team couldn't beat Houston literally all season except when combinations of Springer/Altuve and Correa were out injured, then rolled over like a dead puppy in the WC game.

And yes I am very happy with this Astros team. Barring an LA World Series title they've accomplished more these two years than anyone else and they're going to be very good for a long time. It's funny as hell that people come here to gloat because omg...the Astros didn't repeat as champions. Especially when their team hasn't done jack for decades. Now that's all I'm going to say on this.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
"i'm going to blast him"

proceeds to call me mighty mouse and completely fail at hyping up the astros as a franchise. i don't know the history? actually, it's pretty easy to see that the astros have been a mediocre and unimpressive franchise for the overwhelming majority of their existence. congrats on your team's two pennants and WS title. the A's laugh at that. pretty hilarious how much a team with the lowest payroll in baseball got in the heads of astros fans like yourself this season. and the best part is that it'll be the same for the next few years at least

again, not sure why you're accusing me of making excuses for the A's poor record against houston this season. compare the two teams and its very simple to see houston is the better team. but hey, congrats on your team's 8th division title in almost 6 decades. now your guys can join the A's on the golf course!

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
18, 31, 24 & 32. Ah, the clear homerun totals of someone on steroids.

Yes definitely a possibility but mostly the homers he hit are anything but clear more of a phenomenon or a mystery ..
Hitting 30 hrs is not an easy feat especially for a player who was in no way expected to hit anywhere close to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad