GDT: 2018 ALCS - Boston Red Sox vs. Houston Astros

Who will advance to the World Series?

• Total voters

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It will go at least 6 either way.

Gonna take Houston. They're just too deep and healthy at the right time.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Astros in 6.

Sox will have to face Verlander and Cole at least twice. And then you have Morton and Kuechel as well.

The pitching matchups both in the rotation and pen heavily favors Houston. Houston's offense is roughly on the same level as Boston as well.

Should be a fun series.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Astros have the better rotation, they've been able to get to Sale last year in the ALDS and in the one time they faced him this year, a much better bullpen and the lineups are essentially even. And they were one very questionable call away from taking 5 of 7 from Boston this year.

That's all on paper though. Should be a great series. Astros in 6.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I said Sox in five. I don't see any of the games being one-sided blow-outs, but the Sox will prevail.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
It's going to be a tough and good series. Hopefully the Astros pulls it off. Boston has a legit offense but I'm sure they're saying that about the Astros as well so. And damn you day games! Of course they end up being when I'm at work. Although I think if the NL is done, game 6 becomes a night game.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Astros in 5. I just think Boston’s pen is awful. Houston’s isn’t by any means great either but unless Verlander and Cole implode it won’t be an issue

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Astros in 5. I just think Boston’s pen is awful. Houston’s isn’t by any means great either but unless Verlander and Cole implode it won’t be an issue

Actually Houston had the best bullpen in baseball, followed by the Dodgers and Cubs. Nobody knows this because all the "experts" talked about is the Yankees bullpen, who was actually like 8th or 10th I think.

Plus too many people still remember last year where Houston won in spite of a mediocre to bad bullpen. Lots of changes were made. The only blip was Hector Rondon who had a lousy September and was left off the ALDS roster.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think it's more because Houston's bullpen WAS a dumpster fire at one point during the season, but has since been corrected obviously. It's always about what people did in the past in sports, never the present.

Even if their bullpen was eh, they'd still have the advantage in having 3 starters who can go deep into games, as opposed to Boston's like, one (sale)

Edit: The Yankees bullpen was actually 4th in the regular season if you go by ERA

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It is pretty crazy how flawless a team Houston is on paper.

Their bullpen was 1st in ERA and xFIP and 2nd in Strike outs per 9. And they threw the 2nd fewest innings in the majors only behind Cleveland. As the poster above noted, that's because their Starting rotation is stacked and go deep into games.

Colin McHugh has really reinvented himself out of the Bullpen this year as a 7th/8th inning guy.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I think it's more because Houston's bullpen WAS a dumpster fire at one point during the season, but has since been corrected obviously. It's always about what people did in the past in sports, never the present.

Even if their bullpen was eh, they'd still have the advantage in having 3 starters who can go deep into games, as opposed to Boston's like, one (sale)

Edit: The Yankees bullpen was actually 4th in the regular season if you go by ERA

I actually don't think they were ever at a dumpster fire level during the season either. Adding Cole and having more health in the rotation overall meant guys like Peacock and Devenski weren't pushed into starting roles like last year. Although injuries derailed those guys a couple months ago to the point where they're not on the postseason roster either.

The real problem spot was Giles but they finally saw sense and got rid of that guy. James has been a very good call up and getting Pressly at the trade deadline was another great move.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Actually Houston had the best bullpen in baseball, followed by the Dodgers and Cubs. Nobody knows this because all the "experts" talked about is the Yankees bullpen, who was actually like 8th or 10th I think.

Plus too many people still remember last year where Houston won in spite of a mediocre to bad bullpen. Lots of changes were made. The only blip was Hector Rondon who had a lousy September and was left off the ALDS roster.

The Yankees pen was highly overrated because Betances and Robertson aren’t what they once were. You can add Chapman to that too I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad