NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots - Part 2

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The worst call was the phantom roughing the passer on Brady.

Terrible call IMO.
That was a case of the ref making a determination on what he thought happened and not what he saw. Sterratore said it at the time, you can't make that call if you don't see it.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm just curious, but it appears that people in here are saying the Chiefs got "jobbed" by the refs. How? What plays? There was a missed OPI that set up the Williams TD near the end of the game (more egregious then one called on Dorsett earlier) & the DPI on Jackson was something that the Chiefs were doing to Gronk on, basically, every play.

Reffing is never perfect. There was no call like the no-call vs the Saints. Great teams overcome poor reffing, just like the Pats did last night.

KC is a very good team, with an dynamic offense & what looks to be a very good QB (he's clearly got a winning mentality, and never quit). They just couldn't out score Brady last night; there is nothing to be ashamed of there, he's the GOAT & has been doing this to teams for nearly 20 years. A few more years and you'll never have to worry about him again.

Edit: I only bring up the two plays mentioned as examples of poor reffing against the Pats, meaning that there was poor reffing in general, not targeted at the Chiefs. Even still, I cannot think of a specific bad call/no-call that cost the Chiefs the game like the Saints can point to. I dismiss the notion out right.
I actually thought the Chiefs were given favourable treatment by the refs. I mean how did JC Johnston - that Pats DB - get 3 consecutive PI calls when no calls were made on Chiefs players who were hanging all over Gronk? It seemed like the Chiefs were getting away with a lot of holding, which I'm actually fine with, but then don't make those ticky tack calls on JC Johnston.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
That was a case of the ref making a determination on what he thought happened and not what he saw. Sterratore said it at the time, you can't make that call if you don't see it.

Absolutely. It's a mistake they make a lot. They anticipate and assume.

As a Pats fan, it benefited my team, but it's still terrible.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Chiefs didn't deserve this. They had the 2nd worst defense in the league this year. The others in the bottom 4 were the Bengals, Dolphins and Browns. None of which made the playoffs. Mahomes made what was an average squad look good. They overachieved. Will they be back? I'm not gunna say that. Mahomes does things you don'r normally see but his recievers are super athletic. That being said many guys throughout history have looked like they'll be back and don't get there again, it's just so hard and random.

That was a masterpiece coaching job by B squared. The first half they ran it down their throat and had the ball for all than 8 minutes. The crowd was booing their Harlem Globetrotters. It was impressive. In the 2nd half....they changed the gameplan and started passing. Chiefs couldn't get to or really touch Brady. Brady made clutch throws every time they needed it in the 4th/OT. Wearing them down in the 1st half made that possible. They had no energy to get home and make a difference.

The Patriots don't do anything "well" but they can catch and run with the football. I mean in general. When they catch passes they are almost alway getting YAC.

We touted the 2nd half of Super Bowl 51, I personally thought last night was an even better 2nd half. That 4th quarter was a show. The Patriots had to have 2 TD answering drives to regain the lead. As soon as KC took the lead 28-24 I said they left him way too much time. The only thing that kinda made me mad was that Patterson stole another time out from Brady. They really didn't need them though, they left the Chiefs too much time, it almost burned them. I thought whoever won the toss would score. Bold to go with heads lol.

Chiefs and Reid deserved the loss and criticism. You can't really basically play one quarter of football and expect to and deserve to win. Tht first half was putrid all the way around. They weren't ready to play.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Chris Jones did not rough the passer. Bad call.

Eric Berry needs to make a play on Gronk though.

Chiefs and Reid pretty much blew it.

They would have won with Kareem Hunt out there.
Defense could not stop Brady or Michel.
Reid is not a great head coach. He has all this talent but doesnt know how to teach them.
Chiefs defense has been bad all year long and that is on the coaching.
Michel just walks in the end zone on 4th and 1 from 10 yards out. No surprise.
Without the stellar play by Mahomes this team would have been blown out.
Also pretty quiet stadium other than ax chopping and this outdated chant.
KC fans did little to distract Brady and the offense.
Mahomes shows a lot of heart but has to throw his hands in the air and wave a towel to the crowd just to get them to make some noise.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Hence the friction. He wanted to trade Brady and Kraft said no. You just have to wonder how long would he want to do it. He would need a team ready to win that's fired it's coach for underachieving.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Hence the friction. He wanted to trade Brady and Kraft said no. You just have to wonder how long would he want to do it. He would need a team ready to win that's fired it's coach for underachieving.
The only other team I could have seen him coaching was the Giants because of his history with them but that ship sailed last offseason and especially now that the big 3 by all reports have gotten over their issue.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The only other team I could have seen him coaching was the Giants because of his history with them but that ship sailed last offseason and especially now that the big 3 by all reports have gotten over their issue.

That makes me think this is over, Brady and Bill retire after the win. Especially after Brady's reaction yesterday. I don't think they can top this. This time they were underdogs like the beginning. Nobody gave them a chance.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That makes me think this is over, Brady and Bill retire after the win. Especially after Brady's reaction yesterday. I don't think they can top this. This time they were underdogs like the beginning. Nobody gave them a chance.

Brady is not retiring. He is building the TB12 brand on his longevity and his weird methods to achieve said longevity.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
His secret is nothing spectacular, not getting touched, getting rid of the ball fast. No sacks against in 2 preseason games. The rules going forward are going to sort of devalue his crusade.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
My buddy is a big Pat's fan and said it's common knowledge Bill covets the Giants job.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Brady is not retiring. He is building the TB12 brand on his longevity and his weird methods to achieve said longevity.

Although I don’t know if Brady wants to keep playing to the point where he has that deteriorating final season and play a year or two too long.

Like, why risk a Unitas Chargers/Namath Rams situation. Sometimes, there is such a thing as hanging on for a bit too long (See: Dave Andreychuk. Could have retired as a champion, came back after the lockout)

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Brady cant retire after having Kraft trade Grappolo. Would just be unthinkable to force out a guy who could be here for the next 10 years and then up and retire. He has too much respect for Kraft to do something like that. Not to mention leaving a black mark on your career

Dont worry though, it wont last forever, its just not over yet. Id give ot somewhere between 2 to 4 years barring any sort of health issues for either.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
My buddy is a big Pat's fan and said it's common knowledge Bill covets the Giants job.
Which is why I thought it was a least a possibility when the giants were without a head coach and the BB, Kraft, and Brady were not seeing eye to eye. But that opportunity for him to leave looks to have passed

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Brady has already said he’s coming back numerous times during the regular season. Also there are rumors that Belichick wants to win a SB without Brady and isn’t close to retiring either. Any speculation that either would walk away if they win LIII is nothing more than wishful thinking.

However, I will say this, I’m willing to bet that Bill drafts Brady’s successor this year and that Brady retires after next season regardless of outcome.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Brady pulled a power play with Kraft to get Belichick to trade Garoppolo; if he retired after this season, that would be a slap in the face to Kraft, and a move that I wouldn't expect from him at all (say what you will, but they are very close, Kraft sees him like another son basically). Add to that that Brady needs to prove his TB12 method by playing at a high level into his "mid" 40s (say, 43/44) - so he's going to try to make that happen.

Combined, I 100% believe Brady wants two more seasons. If he gets there, that's another question. But I don't see him going out after this year, no matter how it ends.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not so much doubting, moreso Brady fatigue

Personally I am of the crowd who appreciates greatness... May as well enjoy it because we may never see a player like him ever again. When the Bulls made 6/8 finals, then other two years being Rockets b2b, I didn't have an issue because I could appreciate how damn good Jordan was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad