NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots - Part 2

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Brady cant retire after having Kraft trade Grappolo. Would just be unthinkable to force out a guy who could be here for the next 10 years and then up and retire. He has too much respect for Kraft to do something like that. Not to mention leaving a black mark on your career

Dont worry though, it wont last forever, its just not over yet. Id give ot somewhere between 2 to 4 years barring any sort of health issues for either.

Even if they drafted a QB theres no guarantee that Brady's replacement is gunna be good. That was Kraft's choice. Jimmy G was gunna be a free agent. Brady could still play they were winning now. It wouldn't make sense to pay a guy to back up and who even knows if he's gunna be anything. A lot of guys get hyped. He already tore his ACL. We saw how that is impacting Wentz. That easily could have happened in NE had they traded Brady instead or whatever.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Brady pulled a power play with Kraft to get Belichick to trade Garoppolo; if he retired after this season, that would be a slap in the face to Kraft, and a move that I wouldn't expect from him at all (say what you will, but they are very close, Kraft sees him like another son basically). Add to that that Brady needs to prove his TB12 method by playing at a high level into his "mid" 40s (say, 43/44) - so he's going to try to make that happen.

Combined, I 100% believe Brady wants two more seasons. If he gets there, that's another question. But I don't see him going out after this year, no matter how it ends.

See but I was thinking about this.

Brady has been caught with a MAGA hat in his locker. Trump also appears to be close to Kraft and BB. Not that, that is the point. They all seem to like him or know him to some degree so they must be supporters to some faction. Brady also conveniently skipped going to the White House 2 years ago, i'm not saying his excuse was invalid but if they win again in 2 weeks will he do it again?

You're asking why am I saying this? I hate Brady the football guy but I think in interviews off the field he comes across genuine. He did a TV series or something at his house. He was on an interview on the Boston sports radio giant station and the guy doing the interview made some crack about his daughter or family or something and he cut the interview and keft it high and dry(it was a phone interview)

So in terms I can see the average Trump supporter in him. They are pro family, capitalism and all of that. I get to TB12 though and I just think it's a scam that comes from capitalism. It's free market and a choice but you know football is popular and he's a big name so it will get unfair media hype and attention and he will even mention it. I'll concede that i've never researched it and I know there's a diet involved but if he's selling something fiscally he's duping people and morally I have issues with this. He won't be the first or last who claim they have some crazy formula that will make him unique. He doesn't have some secret to lasting this long that's earth shattering. It's just a scam. Having a good worl ethic and diet isn't a new idea. The rules going forward are also going to help the young guys now last for a long time. I'm not saying Brady hasn't taken the hits but since the Welker days they have been using this get it out quick passing attack. That's also helped him last. Do I think he's the devil or horrible? No. But I do think there's some manupulation and deception used for another avenue to get money. Wasn't he also selective on who in the team could be on the plan? Didn't he like not help Jimmy G at all?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Brady has already said he’s coming back numerous times during the regular season. Also there are rumors that Belichick wants to win a SB without Brady and isn’t close to retiring either. Any speculation that either would walk away if they win LIII is nothing more than wishful thinking.

However, I will say this, I’m willing to bet that Bill drafts Brady’s successor this year and that Brady retires after next season regardless of outcome.

Bill's contract is expiring though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
At midseason, he was on pace for identical stats to his last year (MVP) if you discounted a couple of deflected picks (one of which shouldn’t even have been ruled one, as Gronk took three steps before fumbling the ball).

In total this season, he hasn’t been as good as 2014-2017, but he’s also nowhere near Peyton Manning in 2015 game management levels. He can probably be effective at least another year, maybe two.

Also, when your game management (or ”system”) relies on elite D reading, pocket awareness and unprecedented aptitude at getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately, it still takes a pretty special football player.

2015 Peyton a game manager? 9-17 TD-INT ratio and 67.9 QBR would suggest otherwise.

By game manager I mean that as no slight at Brady at all. It's just been clear to me, as I'm sure it's been to you, that Brady is not orchestrating an explosive pass offense like the Brady of old. It actually has much less to do with Brady's skills declining and more to do with the personnel they have.

Reactions: Voight

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Pats fans are so used to success and winning that losing is almost a shock to the system.
A shock to the system? Lol. I picked the Pats to lose. I’m still trying to grasp that they’ll be playing in a 3rd straight SB.

Regardless, the Pats winning or losing does not have a huge effect on my life. Why you lose sleep over the Pats still having success is beyond me. It ain’t that deep, bro.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Brady has been caught with a MAGA hat in his locker. Trump also appears to be close to Kraft and BB. Not that, that is the point. They all seem to like him or know him to some degree so they must be supporters to some faction. Brady also conveniently skipped going to the White House 2 years ago, i'm not saying his excuse was invalid but if they win again in 2 weeks will he do it again?

You're asking why am I saying this? I hate Brady the football guy but I think in interviews off the field he comes across genuine. He did a TV series or something at his house. He was on an interview on the Boston sports radio giant station and the guy doing the interview made some crack about his daughter or family or something and he cut the interview and keft it high and dry(it was a phone interview)

So in terms I can see the average Trump supporter in him. They are pro family, capitalism and all of that. I get to TB12 though and I just think it's a scam that comes from capitalism. It's free market and a choice but you know football is popular and he's a big name so it will get unfair media hype and attention and he will even mention it. I'll concede that i've never researched it and I know there's a diet involved but if he's selling something fiscally he's duping people and morally I have issues with this. He won't be the first or last who claim they have some crazy formula that will make him unique. He doesn't have some secret to lasting this long that's earth shattering. It's just a scam. Having a good worl ethic and diet isn't a new idea. The rules going forward are also going to help the young guys now last for a long time. I'm not saying Brady hasn't taken the hits but since the Welker days they have been using this get it out quick passing attack. That's also helped him last. Do I think he's the devil or horrible? No. But I do think there's some manupulation and deception used for another avenue to get money. Wasn't he also selective on who in the team could be on the plan? Didn't he like not help Jimmy G at all?
I have no idea how any of this has anything to do with what I wrote, or why you quoted me to type this. This is so far off topic I'm not even sure how to respond, so consider this my response.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I have no idea how any of this has anything to do with what I wrote, or why you quoted me to type this. This is so far off topic I'm not even sure how to respond, so consider this my response.

BECAUSE you mentioned his TB12 brand. The idea of brand is that it's a product. That there is something being sold, making money. He has to be otherwise what is the point to have something to prove that "TB12 works"? TB12 is just another scam by another guy who is temporarily beating father time but in the end like everyone else, won't.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
BECAUSE you mentioned his TB12 brand. The idea of brand is that it's a product. That there is something being sold, making money. He has to be otherwise what is the point to have something to prove that "TB12 works"? TB12 is just another scam by another guy who is temporarily beating father time but in the end like everyone else, won't.
???

Brady wants to play longer to "prove" that his method works. This is not hard to understand. Whether or not it has anything to actually do with his brand, the longer he plays (at a high level), the more he can say "This is why I was able to" and the more people will sign up.

This is not a hard concept.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They want to get a drive, make a stop on defense. That's the way it works.

The real question is....WHO WON THE COIN TOSS? If Reid won it and deferred he is a moron. If Bellichick won it and took it he's a GENIUS. The whole idea was to get the ball, eat the clock and hopefully score. I know Reid takes a lot of shit for his clock management in the playoffs but if he decided to defer then he is more of a moron than he gets credit for. You could argue they lost the game on the coin toss to start the game. Eventhough it went to OT, I never thought NE would lose. The whole game was played to their liking.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
???

Brady wants to play longer to "prove" that his method works. This is not hard to understand. Whether or not it has anything to actually do with his brand, the longer he plays (at a high level), the more he can say "This is why I was able to" and the more people will sign up.

This is not a hard concept.

That's basically in it for the money and it's a con job. Everybody knows that your body is a machine, you have to keep it healthy for high performance. He hasn't discovered anything earth shattering that has prolonged his career. Going forward the rules are gunna keep on favoring the QB that playing into your 40s probably won't shock anybody. Hell, before him Favre lasted until 42 or so and he always played injured and survived until the last year. The year before his last he made it to the conference championship game. Favre also though played in a much different game and took way more shots. Yes for like 8 years Brady was in that same environment but throughout his 30s they kept making the rules more favorable to the QB.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

1)Brady met Trump when as a young player Trump invited him to the Miss Whatever pageant Trump was running in Atlantic City. Whatever your feelings about Trump now, 4 years ago (nevermind 18 years ago) thoughts about him were different. He was friends (or at least friendly) with Democrats and liberals, including the Clintons. Supposedly the MAGA hat was put there by Kraft.

2)You have the radio reporter story mostly wrong- Brady does Monday morning interviews on WEEI and has for years. There were 2 regular hosts (1 has since left) and they'd rotate a 3rd guy in from a pool of about 5 or 6 different people. It was one of these "sometimes 3rd wheels" who was filling in on a night time shift (and not interviewing Brady at the time) who was responding to a clip from the Tom vs. Time and a clip of Brady's daughter. He called the girl an annoying *******. Brady heard about it later on and was mad but suggested that the guy not be let go, though he was suspended from being on the air for awhile.

3)You have no idea about TB12. It's not a "diet" thing. They do rehab of all kinds of sports (and non-sports) injuries, physical therapy as well as other health programs. His partner in it is a pretty shady guy with a shady history, but several Boston reporters are customers and swear by the benefits of going for physical therapy treatments.

4) You are also wrong about the plane and his treatment of Garappalo. I think it's best if you aren't willing to find out the facts to not comment about them until you do.

5) Like every other person in the world he isn't perfect. Was he defensive and competitive about losing the job he loves? Maybe, but maybe that's what made him the player he is.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm pretty sure they've stated this on more than one occassion on the networks. It became a talking point from guy's like Cowherd when the trade went down last year.
The other guy was right. Cowherd has no idea what he's talking about. Bill's contract is not public, but the local guys who know best (Tom Curran, Greg Bedard) have said that he will be back next year at least and have hinted that he doesn't intend to retire for awhile.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
That's basically in it for the money and it's a con job. Everybody knows that your body is a machine, you have to keep it healthy for high performance. He hasn't discovered anything earth shattering that has prolonged his career. Going forward the rules are gunna keep on favoring the QB that playing into your 40s probably won't shock anybody. Hell, before him Favre lasted until 42 or so and he always played injured and survived until the last year. The year before his last he made it to the conference championship game. Favre also though played in a much different game and took way more shots. Yes for like 8 years Brady was in that same environment but throughout his 30s they kept making the rules more favorable to the QB.
You are way over thinking this, or trolling. None of this negates his plan. You see this, you believe this. I also think his longevity has little to do with TB12 (over any other decent health/exercise program). None of that matters. This is all that matters:

1. Brady has a health & fitness brand championing a new way to look at nutrition & training, with the goal of playing at a high level longer.
2. Brady plays at a high level into his mid 40s, and wins while doing it
3. He markets TB12 by saying "Look what it did for me"
4. Athletes looking for the next great thing say "Hey, maybe it really does work"
5. Brady makes tons of money after his career is over, and gets a second career

That is all there is to this. Whether it works or not is immaterial. This is marketing.

Add that to the fact that he is one of the most driven athletes & competitors I've ever seen, and that he had Kraft pull a powerplay on Belichick: this is why I say he plays at least 2 more years. This entire string of conversation was just shooting down the idea he retires after this Superbowl.

Now we're way OT so I'll stop here.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The real question is....WHO WON THE COIN TOSS? If Reid won it and deferred he is a moron. If Bellichick won it and took it he's a GENIUS. The whole idea was to get the ball, eat the clock and hopefully score. I know Reid takes a lot of **** for his clock management in the playoffs but if he decided to defer then he is more of a moron than he gets credit for. You could argue they lost the game on the coin toss to start the game. Eventhough it went to OT, I never thought NE would lose. The whole game was played to their liking.

The Chiefs won and deferred

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I said in the first thread before the game started days ago, Bob Sutton and that Kansas City defense will be on the spotlight to see if they can do anything.
That defense couldn't stop a nose bled, Brady was picking apart that god awful zone defense they were running and the pass rush was non-existent ( I don't think that front 4 got any sacks )

Seems like every third down, Brady throws to Edelmen and the Chiefs are dazed and confused how he gets so open down the middle. By the end of the game, that defense was gassed...the time of possession was almost at 20+ for the Patriots.

Chiefs need a better secondary and a new scheme, which defensive coordinator out there is willing to whip up this bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad