NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots - Part 2

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I remember when the home games were blacked out because they didn't sell out. If you were in Providence RI it was "out of market" so you could watch. But I was 70 or so miles from there. I'd put on the Providence channel and hold the rabbit ear antennae of my tv just to get a snowy picture of Steve Grogan losing.

But yeah, the new generation knows nothing about that stuff.

The days when Beasley Reece was basically the Pats official PBP guy, since NBC would almost always have their ‘7th-string’ team covering their games.

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
Have you been watching football long?

The game for years was sudden death. People whined "Give the other team a chance". So they changed it and said that the receiving team can only win it with a TD, not a FG.

The rules are the rules and you don't change them because you are a fan of a team that gets crushed by the Patriots every year.
I know it's the rule and won't deny that the Patriots are great and Brady is the GOAT but it is possible for there to be a dumb rule and this is one such example. To have the ot that influenced by the flip of a coin is ridiculous, neither d was stopping shit. For a team to not have a chance to have the ball based on a coin flip is dumb. Let the Chiefs have the ball and if they get anything less than a TD then the game is over fair and square.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The college rule is too gimmicky. People hate the shootout, but yet that's what the college game basically is.

Exactly...and the scores/playoff records would be compromised.

Plus let's get real the Chiefs gave up TD's on their last THREE possessions. They don't deserve to win just based on that.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Patriots fans under 30 have never known pain
I'm 32 and have known pain with the Patriots, but at the same time I have to recognize that this is (i believe my count is right, my heads still spinning) the 9th Superbowl I'm going to watch my team play in since Brady/Belichick, and the 10th since I've been watching football (GB in 96 I think it was).

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Curious what game you were watching to come up with that conclusion.

Reffing was a wash, blown calls - and there were only two egregious ones, IMO - went both ways.
Lmao, a blatant trap and a “roughing the passer” call gave the pats their last td in the 4th.. as usual. I’m not even a chiefs fan.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is a weird game to focus on Brady after. He was all over the place.

James White is something special though and I really dont get why BB and/or McDaniels doesn't use him more.
He had a few gaffes for sure, but overall he was great and made the plays he had to at the biggest moments in one of the toughest places to play

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The days when Beasley Reece was basically the Pats official PBP guy, since NBC would almost always have their ‘7th-string’ team covering their games.
Exactly. And everyone I knew was a Steelers, Cowboys or Giants fan. I was a hardcore Don Calhoun fan (and later Mosi Tatupu and Stephon Starring).

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
This is a weird game to focus on Brady after. He was all over the place.

James White is something special though and I really dont get why BB and/or McDaniels doesn't use him more.

Soon as they put the ball on brady's hand more, he led them to back to back TD on final two drives, it was obvious that Pats gameplan was run run run to control Time of Possession, which they did. it was 54 minutes to 21 in favor of the Pats. But when Patriots need to score a TD with 3 min. left, they let Brady loose and he did what he always does, deliver in the clutch, Ice water in his veins. In OT, he connects for 3 huge 3rd and longs to keep the drive going and we all know if he doesn't connect on one of those 3rd downs, KC is winning the game, Pats defense wasn't stopping that KC offense.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I try not to look at the glass as half Patriots going to the super bowl. I try to see the glass as half the Chiefs adding to their choking legacy.

I don't see a choke here. Got down early, made a major game out of it, and their weakness let them down. The only thing it had going for it (pass rush) was non-existent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That poor KC lineman that lined up an inch offsides. Chiefs waited 49 years to get back, and they had it.
Yeah, I’d rather the blown call than that play happen which was totally preventable.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Exactly...and the scores/playoff records would be compromised.

Plus let's get real the Chiefs gave up TD's on their last THREE possessions. They don't deserve to win just based on that.
And the Pats D that gave up 24 in the 4th? The only reason one was only a FG was because the Chiefs only had 39 seconds and 1 timeout yet got close enough for short FG and a shot to the endzone on top of that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Not gonna put this on Mahomes, he played great.
Defense played like dog ass, Bob Sutton needs to be replaced this offseason.

His prime time record now falls to 0-5, just unfortunate.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm 32 and have known pain with the Patriots, but at the same time I have to recognize that this is (i believe my count is right, my heads still spinning) the 9th Superbowl I'm going to watch my team play in since Brady/Belichick, and the 10th since I've been watching football (GB in 96 I think it was).
Lucky for you that you missed the Bears one.

Also, old timers like me remember the 1989 season when we looked like we may have a good team, and they decided to play their starters in the 4th preseason game: ended up losing Best Defensive player (and best LB) Andre Tippett, Best CB Ronnie Lippett and Best DL Garin Veris... all in the 4th freaking exhibition game.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I found the Sports Gods interesting on that Edleman thumb play/replay. Then basically the next play the ball goes off his hands and gets intercepted. What are the chances.
I said right after they reversed the call that aomething bad was gunna happen. Dont know why but i just had that feeling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad