Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
is anyone top pairing high on Harris? Does it seem like he has enough real offensive upside? How would you compare his offensive game to Romanov's?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
is anyone top pairing high on Harris? Does it seem like he has enough real offensive upside? How would you compare his offensive game to Romanov's?

I think players with high IQ have a lot of room to grow. More than prospects who rely on physical skills only (unless they are elite at it, like Makar and Hughes). Harris have the quickness, speed, hands and the brain to do good plays all game long. Put him with star players and he could rack up secondary assist at 5 on 5. He does the small play that gets the puck out of the zone. In the offensive zone, he's good at walking the blue line, stop the pucks against the board and pass it to a teammate which could open a lot of ice. That being said, Romanov's got that going for him as well. Romanov has the better shot, but it seems like Harris got better at it since last year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Brook is still a project that could become an interesting NHLer. Haven't thrown in the towel yet but, pretty sure 2nd pairing D is the utmost ceiling.

One of Romanov, Harris or Norlinder, IMO, will end up playing RD in the future. If that's the case, might as well ease them in on that side at the professional level rather than switch them over later.

Of Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Guhle, Brook, Struble, Juulsen and Fleury, we need THREE of those to graduate and have a genuine impact. That may be a tall order considering not many are bluechip 1st round picks (a late 1st round pick like Juulsen is not a bluechip pick).

A third pairing D is not what I consider having a genuine impact.

My four candidates to root for as potential top-4 Ds are, off the top, Romanov, Harris, Norlinder and Guhle, even if the last one might be more of a shutdown D. Wid cards for me are Struble and Brook who are projects. I don't see Fleury or Juusen, right now, being more than 3rd pairing Ds.

They also could all suck. :)

Post world juniors, I'd consider Romanov a blue chip prospect. He could end up having serious weaknesses in his game at the NHL level that could keep him from being a top 4, but that is unlikely at this point.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Brook is still a project that could become an interesting NHLer. Haven't thrown in the towel yet but, pretty sure 2nd pairing D is the utmost ceiling.

One of Romanov, Harris or Norlinder, IMO, will end up playing RD in the future. If that's the case, might as well ease them in on that side at the professional level rather than switch them over later.

Of Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Guhle, Brook, Struble, Juulsen and Fleury, we need THREE of those to graduate and have a genuine impact. That may be a tall order considering not many are bluechip 1st round picks (a late 1st round pick like Juulsen is not a bluechip pick).

A third pairing D is not what I consider having a genuine impact.

My four candidates to root for as potential top-4 Ds are, off the top, Romanov, Harris, Norlinder and Guhle, even if the last one might be more of a shutdown D. Wid cards for me are Struble and Brook who are projects. I don't see Fleury or Juusen, right now, being more than 3rd pairing Ds.

They also could all suck. :)
I'm hoping that Brook works out and I know it can take time, but the whole "project" label scares me. I can't even think of anyone that was considered a project that ever worked out for this team.

Reactions: Gains

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm hoping that Brook works out and I know it can take time, but the whole "project" label scares me. I can't even think of anyone that was considered a project that ever worked out for this team.

Every prospect is a project. In the case of Brook it's just a label being thrown around on the boards and means nothing.

Can you think of a player who struggled in his first pro season and then worked out?

Reactions: Runner77

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Every prospect is a project. In the case of Brook it's just a label being thrown around on the boards and means nothing.

Can you think of a player who struggled in his first pro season and then worked out?
In this organization? Streit and Pacioretty are the only real ones that worked out for us. And even there Pacioretty did good in the AHL.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Somehow Mathias Brunet has Jordan Harris ahead of Romanov on an U22 list of Habs prospects. I mean, I love Harris but no. That's too much. Kind of fun to see though.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
This seems stupid and completely overreacting to Farrell, Norlinder and Ylonen seasons.

It sure is. The fact that he's willing to post that with his current job is... I don't know..... weird? Sad? ****ed up?

On a different note are we looking at Harris turning pro (AHL) next year or is there an additional year of NCAA play in the plans for him?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This seems stupid and completely overreacting to Farrell, Norlinder and Ylonen seasons.

I can see Ylonen being out. He just has yet to shown any kind of production consistency in his 3 year of Liiga. Sure Lahti's garbage but no one's exactly reassuring that he's been playing well in spite of his production. I also just don't know if there's been any real progression there since he's been drafted. Have you seen or heard of any area of his game he's improved upon? I haven't.

Never say never but it really doesn't look good for Ylonen at the moment imo. I'm pretty sure Mrb1p is going to get it right with Ylonen. If I'm not mistaken, he was a fan but gave up fairly shortly on him. In his D+1. At least raised concerns about puck IQ I believe.

Lot of skill but he's shown no signs that I know of that he's been putting it together. Maybe Bouchard works some magic.

Agree on the the others though.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Has Harris ever been captain?

unsure. I was talking about other aspects of his game: smooth with the puck, yet not necessarily very offensive, good skater, slightly undersized, makes smart decisions with the puck, ...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
And I think Harris has a lot more poise with the puck than Gorges does. I don't think Gorges was ever necessarily 'smooth with the puck'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes because with prospects it's about progress and if they continue or don't. Harris has shown great progress over his 2 years (since it's too early to say much about this season) so the question is not so much about can he be a top pairing D, it's can he continue to progress.

My example is Jake Evans. Since he was drafted to now, every year he's shown solid progression. In his first few years in the NCAA no one was saying he had top line upside as I doubt many if any would think it even now. But if he keeps progressing, then who knows where he tops out it. It's unlikely to highly unlikely that his game would grow that much but I wouldn't have expected him to produce so well in the AHL on teams where due to injuries and call ups he was often one of the only skilled players and for a playmaker that's even tougher to produce but not only did he but he did a great job all things considered.

Harris is just 20, he's shown a lot of progress but we'll see how it goes for him, if he keeps it up or not. He like Evans is a very smart player but lacks size, strength. Imo guys like that get underrated as IQ in hockey can take you far but things can get over looked while they are young and developing.

I fully expect Harris to be an NHLer, and likely a 3rd pairing D but that means nothing because we just have to wait and see how much he continues to progress or not. If he does then it changes, if not then he should have enough to be a 3rd pairing D.

As for Romanov, both move the puck well but Harris is about smarts and while Romanov has smarts he's also got power. He can blast it from the point. Harris is more like Brook where he's better with the wrist shot then teeing one up.

yet not necessarily very offensive, good skater ...

he's got elite skating just to be clear if it's not Mete good it's not far behind. As for his offense, he doubled his ppg and all year was neck and neck in points with the top U-20 blueliners in the NCAA while not having 1st round picks on his team to help carry the load.

he was never captain. In the NCAA it's often given to a Senior as a reward for staying for the 4 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
yes because with prospects it's about progress and if they continue or don't. Harris has shown great progress over his 2 years (since it's too early to say much about this season) so the question is not so much about can he be a top pairing D, it's can he continue to progress.

My example is Jake Evans. Since he was drafted to now, every year he's shown solid progression. In his first few years in the NCAA no one was saying he had top line upside as I doubt many if any would think it even now. But if he keeps progressing, then who knows where he tops out it. It's unlikely to highly unlikely that his game would grow that much but I wouldn't have expected him to produce so well in the AHL on teams where due to injuries and call ups he was often one of the only skilled players and for a playmaker that's even tougher to produce but not only did he but he did a great job all things considered.

Harris is just 20, he's shown a lot of progress but we'll see how it goes for him, if he keeps it up or not. He like Evans is a very smart player but lacks size, strength. Imo guys like that get underrated as IQ in hockey can take you far but things can get over looked while they are young and developing.

I fully expect Harris to be an NHLer, and likely a 3rd pairing D but that means nothing because we just have to wait and see how much he continues to progress or not. If he does then it changes, if not then he should have enough to be a 3rd pairing D.

As for Romanov, both move the puck well but Harris is about smarts and while Romanov has smarts he's also got power. He can blast it from the point. Harris is more like Brook where he's better with the wrist shot then teeing one up.

he's got elite skating just to be clear if it's not Mete good it's not far behind. As for his offense, he doubled his ppg and all year was neck and neck in points with the top U-20 blueliners in the NCAA while not having 1st round picks on his team to help carry the load.

he was never captain. In the NCAA it's often given to a Senior as a reward for staying for the 4 years.

So yo don't like Josh Gorges as an NHL comparable? Who is your NHL comparable?

note that, Gorges had offense at the Junior level.

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Some guys are just ready. I mean guys that have that label assigned to them specifically. I guess it speaks to the Habs development struggles too (which have hopefully been corrected).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So yo don't like Josh Gorges as an NHL comparable? Who is your NHL comparable?

note that, Gorges had offense at the Junior level.

Mete compares but you won't find many NHL comparable since you don't get a lot of undersized D. Harris has elite skating, mobility, IQ, and poise but he's lacks a physical game, mass, strength. With Harris you get someone that plays very smart, mistake free hockey that never panics with the puck, that just makes the right plays most of the time and does all the little things well.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Mete compares but you won't find many NHL comparable since you don't get a lot of undersized D. Harris has elite skating, mobility, IQ, and poise but he's lacks a physical game, mass, strength. With Harris you get someone that plays very smart, mistake free hockey that never panics with the puck, that just makes the right plays most of the time and does all the little things well.
So Erik Gudbranson it is then :sarcasm:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Hopefully he can add strength in the weight room. Ryan Ellis and Brendan Gallagher are two players that underwent a physical metamorphosis from A LOT of time in the weight room.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What about Girard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad