Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Draft Analyst really liked him at the WJCA :

LHD Alexander Romanov (Krasnaya Armia, MHL): Romanov is a powerful skater who combines size and speed into one strong package. Ever the opportunist, the teenage defender consistently looks to either join a rush or create one himself with either his legs or with deadly accurate stretch passes. You have to keep an eye on him during dump-ins, as Romanov pivots quickly with his head up and can catch opponents in a line change. He was used in every situation (Power play, penalty kill, late/close draws) and displayed reliability in all three zones. Romanov was able to find openings once inside the opposing blue line thanks to keeping his feet moving and showing a strong desire to gain control of the puck. He has a devastating shot — wrist or slap — and can score from distances well above the circles. From a physical standpoint, Romanov looks to make jarring hits in open ice but without needing to travel across a big patch of ice to deliver hit. His upper body is very strong, and in close-quarter puck battles he was able to outmuscle opponents of all sizes. Play during one-on-one was relative solid, as he showed a proclivity for staying tight with his man near the blue line and closing with speed and an active stick.

It’s weird Timmins mentioned Emelin with only the last part being anything like him.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
So is he gonna play for CSKA next year in the KHL or their junior team again in the MHL?

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Is he a flight risk or is it his goal to get to the NHL? May be a reason he was still there and our draft crew was patting themselves on the back as to why he was still there?

His agent said the plan was to finish his 2 years in Russia and then come over

Reactions: jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
so how limited is his offense? I think that's what soured me on him initially, even more than him being a reach. Sounded like there was limited offensive upside.

Where would you guys rank him among our D prospects including Mete and Juulsen?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
so how limited is his offense? I think that's what soured me on him initially, even more than him being a reach. Sounded like there was limited offensive upside.

Behind those two, pretty clearly. Mete and Juulsen are NHL players, IMO. Romanov's got a little ways to go before we can say the same for him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think if we took Addison or Tychonick, they would have the best offensive potential from all of our dmen.

Addison for sure. I see Tychonick more as a ''transition man'' at the next level myself. However, I think highly of these guys. How many of us wouldn't take Hampus Lindholm on our team? It's the most important thing for me when looking at defencemen: can they get the puck and start a counterattack? It's the reason I had (and still have) Vaakanainen ahead of Brännström.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Addison for sure. I see Tychonick more as a ''transition man'' at the next level myself. However, I think highly of these guys. How many of us wouldn't take Hampus Lindholm on our team? It's the most important thing for me when looking at defencemen: can they get the puck and start a counterattack? It's the reason I had (and still have) Vaakanainen ahead of Brännström.
It's interesting because timmins said that he felt that we needed more offensive dmen. Hopefully we get some next year, because I don't think we have any either.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
I think this guy has real nice potential. I just get that feeling. I honestly think he can become a top 4. + Timmins and co must have really loved him to secure the bag with him at 38.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I would think he is Fleury level and I like Fleury alot.. I also have guys like Brook Juulsen Mete higher but not necessary by much...

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
How is the drafting better? The results of the prospects making roster and all the comments of lack of trade assets is self evident of draft quality under MB. Aside from three top 10 picks (two of which already gone), the results are pretty mediocre relative to rest of the NHL. The history with Russian D is mostly pre-Bergevin.

Well, I can certainly understand where you are coming from (ie :trading away picks for dead wood) and I agree we haven't been perfect -far from it - but you have to take into account the deck of cards MB was dealt when he took over (PROSPECT WISE). If the notion is that young players don't have a chance to prove themselves, I'd have to respectfully disagree. Our top prospects formed our entire first line the year he took over. If anything, I believe our drafting is slightly above par and we've just been trading too many picks (and players) away. but in terms of ''drafting'' I personally don't think we are doing worst with MB on board.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
That's what Timmins essentially said. I think they were going to pick Woo & decided not to wait on Romanov once Woo went. Lots of D went between the Ylonen and Olofsson picks. I figured Montreal would take a D at either 35 or 38, but Romanov was a complete surprise.

missed timmins' interview... I was not very familiar with Romanov - never saw anything else than that tournament- but he appeared to be a riser. hope it pans out !

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Romanov has better offensive upside than Tychonick. More viewings of Tychonick he just rounded out as bland. Romanov has that big shot and rushes in with quick feet. Needs to work on his puck control to create lanes but we will see how it goes.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
The way I see it, if I close my eyes and switch his draft position with Hillis( who was slated to go early second round on a lot of mocks but went 66th) then Romanov becomes a completely acceptable pick . So in essence the spot where we ended up picking him doesn't matter, the end result does.

I remember in 2013 when it was "pretend de la Rose was our first rounder and McCarron was a second round pick"

Turns out they both sucked. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad