Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Had a great U-18 for Russia. That's all I know. We took him really high.

Hopefully our Russian scout didn't screw us on this one.

wasn't he the best russian Dman in the tournament ? They must've thought he'd be gone by their next pick.

Reactions: cphabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Timmins also seems to love him, said the whole draft table was excited after the pick. I'm super intrigued about this, also mentioned that as soon as the LD was selected before their pick, they had to make sure they picked Romanov. The LD that was picked before was Jett Woo, seems like the Habs wanted to draft him as well.
Woo is a right shot, no? I think he was refferring to McIsaac.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
For example:

For those who don't want to watch the entire game

Here are some plays made by Romanov

rush on the PK 7:30
nice board pass 9:40
avoiding the forecheck and clearing the puck 11:45
pass to exit the zone 16:30
taking the hit to make a play 20:25
PP time 24:50 to 26:15
Making a good play with pressure (ling shift FO after icing) 30:20
Good acceleration and overall shift 55:55 to 57
Wrist shot and beating the pressure by skating (good balance) 1:02 to 1:02:30
Try to rush the puck/good hit in the corner/exit the puck with his skating 1:33:10 to 1:33:45
PP time and scoresss 1:50:30 to 1:51
Skate the puck out of the zone 2:07:25

I heard his name after the game I think he was one of the star of the game maybe.

Iskhakov has so much skills

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If that implies we are doing worst with bergevin drafting wise, please explain. Other than the obvious bigMAC, i fail to see what's been so dramatic.

How is the drafting better? The results of the prospects making roster and all the comments of lack of trade assets is self evident of draft quality under MB. Aside from three top 10 picks (two of which already gone), the results are pretty mediocre relative to rest of the NHL. The history with Russian D is mostly pre-Bergevin.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For those who don't want to watch the entire game

Here are some plays made by Romanov

rush on the PK 7:30
nice board pass 9:40
avoiding the forecheck and clearing the puck 11:45
pass to exit the zone 16:30
taking the hit to make a play 20:25
PP time 24:50 to 26:15
Making a good play with pressure (ling shift FO after icing) 30:20
Good acceleration and overall shift 55:55 to 57
Wrist shot and beating the pressure by skating (good balance) 1:02 to 1:02:30
Try to rush the puck/good hit in the corner/exit the puck with his skating 1:33:10 to 1:33:45
PP time and scoresss 1:50:30 to 1:51
Skate the puck out of the zone 2:07:25

I heard his name after the game I think he was one of the star of the game maybe.

Iskhakov has so much skills
He really does show a lot of great traits. Can certainly skate, has good size, willing to mix it up, communicates well, has a good shot...

One thing I like about him, and it's something I've been looking for lately, is players who use long sticks. I've come to believe that stick length plays more of a factor in terms of range on the ice than height does. Romanov uses an incredibly long stick for his height, and you can see how it helps him defend and keep possession of the puck, and even get more velocity on his shot.

Also just to note, the Emelin comp by Timmins was in regards to his personality, not his play style or skillset.

Reactions: Et le But

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
How is the drafting better? The results of the prospects making roster and all the comments of lack of trade assets is self evident of draft quality under MB. Aside from three top 10 picks (two of which already gone), the results are pretty mediocre relative to rest of the NHL. The history with Russian D is mostly pre-Bergevin.
We've had bad luck in terms of having great regular season only to be followed by disapointing playoff showings. That's resulted in us picking in the late first quite a bit.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
We've had bad luck in terms of having great regular season only to be followed by disapointing playoff showings. That's resulted in us picking in the late first quite a bit.
Picking late in the first is only a problem if you have a poor scouting staff IMO.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Picking late in the first is only a problem if you have a poor scouting staff IMO.
Disagree. Every year it seems you have your 2-3 studs at the top followed by about a dozen of very good prospects, then followed by 20-50 solid guys. when you are picking late first not only are you missing out on the elite guys, but you are missing out on the secondary guys as well.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Disagree. Every year it seems you have your 2-3 studs at the top followed by about a dozen of very good prospects, then followed by 20-50 solid guys. when you are picking late first not only are you missing out on the elite guys, but you are missing out on the secondary guys as well.

The way you frame it, it's suggesting teams only get good NHLers from the 20-50 solid range from luck. Meanwhile there are teams that get good players/high trade value prospects from that range pretty consistently.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The way you frame it, it's suggesting teams only get good NHLers from the 20-50 solid range from luck. Meanwhile there are teams that get good players/high trade value prospects from that range pretty consistently.
Well if you look at our 20-30 guys, we've don't okay I think. McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, and Poehling.... only McCarron looks like a bust at the moment. But look at the guys drafted in the middle of the first those years... there are some great, great players that went.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Alexander is a ''reach'' but he's got game. First things first, he can actually play defence. I watched a couple more games of him and he made some great reads. To add to that, he's a powerful skater, and an ambitious transition player. That alone is interesting to me as a defensive prospect. I don't really think there's much offensive upside to his game but what I want most of my defencemen to do is turn pucks over, and send them the other way above all else and he can do that.

I would have preferred Addison, Zhuravlyov, Ragnarsson, Regula, Fehervary and Demin, but I'm fine with letting Timmins have his pick. I'll just pretend we selected Olofsson at 38.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Alexander is a ''reach'' but he's got game. First things first, he can actually play defence. I watched a couple more games of him and he made some great reads. To add to that, he's a powerful skater, and an ambitious transition player. That alone is interesting to me as a defensive prospect. I don't really think there's much offensive upside to his game but what I want most of my defencemen to do is turn pucks over, and send them the other way above all else and he can do that.

I would have preferred Addison, Zhuravlyov, Ragnarsson, Regula, Fehervary and Demin, but I'm fine with letting Timmins have his pick. I'll just pretend we selected Olofsson at 38.
There was a pretty big run on D at the end of the first and beginning of the 2nd. We needed an LD in the worst way. I think looking back in hindsight we probably should have drafted McIsaac instead of Ylonen and gambled on Ylonen falling to that 2nd 2nd. But I'm fine with Romanov gamble considering how things played out.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There was a pretty big run on D at the end of the first and beginning of the 2nd. We needed an LD in the worst way. I think looking back in hindsight we probably should have drafted McIsaac instead of Ylonen and gambled on Ylonen falling to that 2nd 2nd. But I'm fine with Romanov gamble considering how things played out.

Yeah, Harris and Romanov were later in my list, but they're both interesting players. I'm really happy we took Ylönen and ultimately, it's not my draft. I'm not going to freak out over every little pick Timmins doesn't make off the very top of my list, especially when so many of our picks actually were.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, Harris and Romanov were later in my list, but they're both interesting players. I'm really happy we took Ylönen and ultimately, it's not my draft. I'm not going to freak out over every little pick Timmins doesn't make off the very top of my list, especially when so many of our picks actually were.
I think what happened was heading into Day 2 we had 5 guys we really liked for those first 2 picks: Berggren, Noel, and Ylonen at wing, and McIssac and Romanov on D. When Berggren and Noel came off the board quickly we pounced on Ylonen- hoping McIssac would make it to 38. And when he didn't, Romanov was the backup plan at that pick.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think what happened was heading into Day 2 we had 5 guys we really liked for those first 2 picks: Berggren, Noel, and Ylonen at wing, and McIssac and Romanov on D. When Berggren and Noel came off the board quickly we pounced on Ylonen- hoping McIssac would make it to 38. And when he didn't, Romanov was the backup plan at that pick.

Berggren was apparently at the top of our list, according to Håkan Andersson (who I now hate). Did the CH express any interest in McIsaac though?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Berggren was apparently at the top of our list, according to Håkan Andersson (who I now hate). Did the CH express any interest in McIsaac though?
Timmins said when discussing the Romanov pick that there was an LD that went right before, and when he came off the board they decided they had to take Romanov there- and McIsaac was the only LD who went between those two picks.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Timmins mentioned they wanted Romanov after a certain LD went off the board a few picks before - that's McIsaac.
Who coincidently, also doesn't have much in terms of offensive ceiling. But between the two, I like Romanov's edge and willingness to get more involved in the play in all three zones.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I’m digging this pick, Timmins seemed really excited about it. Last time I seen him say “you’ll look back at this one in a few years and get it” was P.K.

Not saying he’ll be as good as P.K. but he certainly got all of our scouts attention for a reason.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Which teams are you comparing us too??

Buffalo? Colorado? Carolina? Toronto?

Bottom dwelling teams that have had the benefit and luxury of drafting high in that time frame.....or teams around where we’ve been picking?? 25 to 27 range??

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Which teams are you comparing us too??

Buffalo? Colorado? Carolina? Toronto?

Bottom dwelling teams that have had the benefit and luxury of drafting high in that time frame.....or teams around where we’ve been picking?? 25 to 27 range??

Nah Tampa, Washington, Boston, etc

Habs have had 3 top 10 picks in last 7 drafts. Lets not pretend this is some sort of perennial contender. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad