Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The Draft Analyst really liked him at the WJCA :

LHD Alexander Romanov (Krasnaya Armia, MHL): Romanov is a powerful skater who combines size and speed into one strong package. Ever the opportunist, the teenage defender consistently looks to either join a rush or create one himself with either his legs or with deadly accurate stretch passes. You have to keep an eye on him during dump-ins, as Romanov pivots quickly with his head up and can catch opponents in a line change. He was used in every situation (Power play, penalty kill, late/close draws) and displayed reliability in all three zones. Romanov was able to find openings once inside the opposing blue line thanks to keeping his feet moving and showing a strong desire to gain control of the puck. He has a devastating shot — wrist or slap — and can score from distances well above the circles. From a physical standpoint, Romanov looks to make jarring hits in open ice but without needing to travel across a big patch of ice to deliver hit. His upper body is very strong, and in close-quarter puck battles he was able to outmuscle opponents of all sizes. Play during one-on-one was relative solid, as he showed a proclivity for staying tight with his man near the blue line and closing with speed and an active stick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How is the drafting better? The results of the prospects making roster and all the comments of lack of trade assets is self evident of draft quality under MB. Aside from three top 10 picks (two of which already gone), the results are pretty mediocre relative to rest of the NHL. The history with Russian D is mostly pre-Bergevin.

We'll see if it is or not. You have '12 where had they just handled Galchenyuk better and say they got the Collberg pick right and that draft would be seen as one of our better with Galchenyuk, Hudon and Collberg. But it didn't go as well as it should have. Some on Timmins, some on MB/MT/CJ/Galchenyuk/Collberg.

'13 they went too safe and too much for size, I'd wager a lot that Churla/MB had a hand in this but Timmins did say they learned from that draft and you have 3 NHLers with over 100 games each. Now we don't really know what we have in Lekhonen yet, or what kind of future Ghetto has and DLR went from an afterthought by many to looking like he might be a solid 4th liner on a top team. There's still some hope that McCarron turns into a solid 4th liner. If Reway doesn't have his illness I think he would have been an NHLer at some point until he butted heads with Julien and got sent packing.

So the drafts they had the picks, they should have done better but didn't. Then you have '14 t0 '16 drafts and that's more on MB imo. 3 picks inside the top 70 in 3 years is f***ing brutal. You just can't do that and expect results. Overall we had 17 picks in 3 years with 11 of them in the triple digits (100+ OA) That said Timmins did what I think is going to look very good with those 3 picks in Sergachev, Scherbak and Juulsen. Then you have to see what you have in Mete, Evans, Bitten, Vejdemo, Addisson, Lernout, Hawkey.

'17 so far looks the part, now we need to see how it does this year. Huge fan of the Poehling/Brook picks, I think they are going to be very big for us but we'll have to wait and see. What Primeau did was mind boggling let alone for a 7th round pick. There's a lot to like from this draft.

Right now things are just very much in the air. The first two drafts were ones that should have nailed and they didn't for various reasons. Then they screwed Timmins for the next 3 with having so few picks and so few top 60 picks. He still made some good picks imo, that we'll start to see more if that's so or not. In time we'll see what the last two draft classes bring.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He'll have a full beard within a month.
Make him live with Weber if he makes the team lmao and pair him as well... at least once in a while.

THey can work on his staring skills at the same time......have staring contests in the basement, scare the shit out of people :laugh:

giphy.gif

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
wasn't he the best russian Dman in the tournament ? They must've thought he'd be gone by their next pick.

That's what Timmins essentially said. I think they were going to pick Woo & decided not to wait on Romanov once Woo went. Lots of D went between the Ylonen and Olofsson picks. I figured Montreal would take a D at either 35 or 38, but Romanov was a complete surprise.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Out of the picks, Timmins seemed to be gushing most over Romanov. You can tell that he left quite the impression on Timmins during the European Combine.

Reactions: Redux91

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The Draft Analyst really liked him at the WJCA :

LHD Alexander Romanov (Krasnaya Armia, MHL): Romanov is a powerful skater who combines size and speed into one strong package. Ever the opportunist, the teenage defender consistently looks to either join a rush or create one himself with either his legs or with deadly accurate stretch passes. You have to keep an eye on him during dump-ins, as Romanov pivots quickly with his head up and can catch opponents in a line change. He was used in every situation (Power play, penalty kill, late/close draws) and displayed reliability in all three zones. Romanov was able to find openings once inside the opposing blue line thanks to keeping his feet moving and showing a strong desire to gain control of the puck. He has a devastating shot — wrist or slap — and can score from distances well above the circles. From a physical standpoint, Romanov looks to make jarring hits in open ice but without needing to travel across a big patch of ice to deliver hit. His upper body is very strong, and in close-quarter puck battles he was able to outmuscle opponents of all sizes. Play during one-on-one was relative solid, as he showed a proclivity for staying tight with his man near the blue line and closing with speed and an active stick.
I love this pick the more I read.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well, watched two WJAC games (only international tourney I didn't watch this year). It's true that he showed a mature game. He often covered for his partner (Zhuravlyov).

One underrated skill for these young Ds is body position and angling the stick right to keep the puck in the O zone. He had one shift where he kept it 3 times against the CR, a la Markov. Showed a good first pass, lots of physical play, great positioning (which I was surprised at... that was his main knock from Russian posters) and excellent speed.

That said, that was B-level competition. By far the best player on the ice was Denisenko.

Will be rewatching some U18 and MHL now.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Couldn't they have selected him later?

In timmins opinion, they could not, and i trust his opinion, he made a point that the russians made questionable line up decisions and player decisions and there's a hint of player favoritism in those russian junior ranks,
maybe we're lucky he didnt get as much exposure as he ended up getting
hidden gem hopefully

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Actually if we look at the 2nd round, he does not look like a reach that much.
I agree you should not draft for need, but Timmins said they really wanted a LD.

Other LD drafted in the 2nd are in order : Perunovich, Fehervary, Tychonick, Ginning and Bahl.

I think Romanov fits right into that group and I can understand why he was they preferred in that group.

They were most likely hoping for one of Beaudin or Sandin.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Is he a flight risk or is it his goal to get to the NHL? May be a reason he was still there and our draft crew was patting themselves on the back as to why he was still there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad