2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I agree. It's ensuring that the veterans aren't worth keeping, since they're harder to come by.

I'm not suggesting Sbisa will suddenly become Hedman or something, but playing in pre-season games as a veteran, with a bunch of prospects, might not be the best way to evaluate them. Most veterans are just going through the motions to get into game shape, and they're not playing with the same type of talent they'd have on the real roster.

Now that the roster is trimmed, the real evaluation begins for them.
What about Sbisa impresses you the most:

His complete inability to handle the simplest of passes?
The repeated unforced icings?
Opposing players blowing by him like a traffic cone?

And why does it matter that they are veterans? They are all literally among the most awful players in the league, anyone with any common sense can see this. There is no chance whatsoever that any of them magically become not terrible. They are what they are.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

And why does it matter that they are veterans? They are all literally among the most awful players in the league, anyone with any common sense can see this. There is no chance whatsoever that any of them magically become not terrible. They are what they are.

Sbisa wasn't terrible with Vegas last season. I do think he could be a reliable 6/7 D.

Reactions: xECK29x and dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Meh, whatever as long as he stays the 7D. Can't put a kid in that spot.

But if Toews is making the team like he should be and no one is injured, one of Mayfield/Pelech is already the 7D, making Sbisa the 8D, and they have to waive a forward.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Then let him go. He’s low ceiling, and that also would clear off a needless contract. Same for Mayfield.

Orrrr Pelech is soon as good as de Haan, who also needed a LOT of time to finally earn himself a regular role in the NHL.

Don't forget that basically the only Pelech we've seen was the one coached by Weight. What can Trotz get out of him?

Can't quit on Dmen too early. That was a lesson we all should have learned when Milbury was still heading the show...

Reactions: WangMustGo and dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Nothing impresses me about him, but you can't just always put your best players on the roster and mess it up for later. You cut Sbisa, Seidenberg, and then you get two injuries on the back end. Who do you have to fill in? Most coaches prefer a veteran in a spot like that over rookies. It just is what it is. There's less teaching with a veteran and if it doesn't work, you cut bait and it doesn't ruin your season.

I wouldn't have signed him, but I expected it. If Seidenberg gets signed, I'll be really f***ing pissed. Sbsisa as a 7, fine, if you don't want kids rotting on the bench makes some sense. Getting two of those guys to block the young players? No.

Leddy Boychuk
Hickey Pulock
Pelech Mayfield
Sbisa

That's the defense now. That's not pretty.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Orrrr Pelech is soon as good as de Haan, who also needed a LOT of time to finally earn himself a regular role in the NHL.

Don't forget that basically the only Pelech we've seen was the one coached by Weight. What can Trotz get out of him?

Can't quit on Dmen too early. That was a lesson we all should have learned when Milbury was still heading the show...
When you have higher ceiling D-men in the pipeline it pushes guys like Pelech and Mayfield lower on the totem pole. Toews and Dobson could really make some noise in this league. As Crasherino said, Pelech has 130 NHL games under his belt already. It’s not a small sample size anymore.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't see how, we have too many forwards, especially if Ladd is playing. Is Toews still waiver exempt?

See tweet above, sounds like someone has to go ever with Ladd on IR. Gross seems to think it will be Kovar?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't see how, we have too many forwards, especially if Ladd is playing. Is Toews still waiver exempt?
If Toews ends up being the odd man out I would really love for someone here to try and defend the decision to do so. If they do that it's bath salts level lunacy.

Reactions: dano16

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I believe 27 is the correct number. Fritz was skating with the Isles in practice but he was put on waivers. So I think he was counted as 28.
Okay, thanks. Since Ladd is up in the air let's assume they need to cut 3 for now. IMO they will give Toews lots of minutes in the last preseason games. Assuming he passes the test the cuts will be:

Seidenberg
Gionta
Kuhnhackl

That would leave:

Beau - Barzal - Bailey
Lee - Nelson - Eberle
Komarov - Filppula - Kovar
Martin - Cizikas- Clutterbuck
Johnston/Ladd

Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Pulock
Pelech - Mayfield
Toews- Sbisa

I think what you'd see on defense is relatively equal playing time for the 3 pairings, with some rest/maintenance days for Boychuk.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Nothing impresses me about him, but you can't just always put your best players on the roster and mess it up for later. You cut Sbisa, Seidenberg, and then you get two injuries on the back end. Who do you have to fill in? Most coaches prefer a veteran in a spot like that over rookies. It just is what it is. There's less teaching with a veteran and if it doesn't work, you cut bait and it doesn't ruin your season.

I wouldn't have signed him, but I expected it. If Seidenberg gets signed, I'll be really ****ing pissed. Sbsisa as a 7, fine, if you don't want kids rotting on the bench makes some sense. Getting two of those guys to block the young players? No.

Leddy Boychuk
Hickey Pulock
Pelech Mayfield
Sbisa

That's the defense now. That's not pretty.
It’s possible we keep 8 D with Sbisa and Mayfield as the extras. Toews can play with Pelech on the 3rd pair.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Why is Ross Johnston making the team at this point? I like him more than most and would have been fine with him as a part time 4th liner but now that we have Martin, he really brings nothing to the table that we don't already have....other than a legit fighter (which isn't needed in the NHL these days).

If its between Johnston and Kovar, keep Kovar and see what we have and go from there. No one is claiming Johnston on waivers.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If Toews ends up being the odd man out I would really love for someone here to try and defend the decision to do so. If they do that it's bath salts level lunacy.

I mean, I agree about Toews. But what is bath salts lunacy? Is that a real expression?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad