2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

justice0

Feb 4, 2014
Also Arthur Staple tweeted waivers -

#Isles also have Tanner Fritz on waivers today along with Sislo, Bernier, Helgeson and Gibson. That would leave 15 forwards under contract, seven D, 2 goalies and 3 PTOs (Gionta, Sbisa, Seidenberg)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Face it, the only real competition for spots this year was on the 3rd and 4th lines and 6/7th defenseman. Top two lines and pairing were already set well beforehand and with Lou signing all sorts of 3rd/4th line veterans in the summer there was never any room for the likes of Bellows and Ho-Sang. He was never gonna cut his own signings was he?

What'll happen next is that Gionta will be signed and go to Bridgeport and Sbisa will sign on to be the 8th dman. Wouldn't be surprised to see them put him in Toews place.

Toews is the third most talented defenseman on this team right now. He should be running the third pairing.

If they want to sign Sbisa to push Mayfield/Pelech and be insurance for injuries, I could tolerate it, but not if it’s to block Toews from being in the lineup every night.

At the end of the day, I just don’t trust this organization to do the right thing with their young defenseman, so I prefer for there to be less junk lying around (i.e. Sbisa).

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I don't see the big deal or cause for hysteria regarding JHS being cut

Bridgeport has been a wasteland, they finally have a strong veteran team and a bluechip sniper in Bellows, thats a good place for Ho-Sang at this point in time. Let him dominate the AHL and call him up when injuries happen. Despite his extraordinary skill, he has never even sniffed a PPG at the AHL, he's produced at a much lower rate.

When he's lighting the AHL up, thats when he should get the call. I'm pretty sure he'll be on a line with Bellows and get top-PP minutes.

Some people are more excited to say i told you so than to have some patience with a 22 year old prospect.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Then let him go. He’s low ceiling, and that also would clear off a needless contract. Same for Mayfield.
I'm pretty sure no one would claim Mayfield. He was exposed a few years ago when he was younger and more likely to potentially have upside. Nothing has happened (bad or good really) to change his trajectory. He is what he is at this point. He is certainly waivable. He's also serviceable as a #7 Dman, but that's really about it. Mayfield is almost 26 - not really a young player any more.

I'm willing to give Pelech a little more time to show his upside. But if he hasn't shown what he can do/be by this year, we'll know what he can ultimately become. He's played 130 games in the NHL - that's not insignificant.

Reactions: MJF

scott99

May 13, 2005
JHS & MDC are now career AHLers, never to see the NHL (at least on the Islanders). And honestly, it's time to move on from these 2 guys. It's like when the Isles finally moved on from Tambellini and Kabanov. They have no worth, and they will just sit in the AHL forever until their contracts are up. I didn't expect anything out of MDC, he is what he is, a bust. JHS, talks the talk, but never walks the walk. He knew this was probably his last chance, and he did absolutely nothing to help himself. You'd think he would've dominated, knowing it was probably his last chance, hell, even drop the gloves, show something. And obviously that "day off", was something more than a maintenance day.

I feel bad for Bellows, but honestly, he had no shot, could've scored several hat tricks, and still wasn't making the team, a team with 360 third and fourth liners. Next year, a few of them will be off the books, and we may see Bellows, Dobson & Wahlstrom on the team.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
No real surprises in today's cuts. There were too many veterans for any of the kids to make the team from opening day. I expect Lou and Trotz want to see how this team plays when the games count before making any decisions. I suspect the roster for the final game will look much different than opening night.

Reactions: dood and 12Dog

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
There's order in this chaos. You guys just have to wait. First, you would hurt the rookies more if you added too many at the same time to the roster. Toews is the most ready and can learn..once he does, then bring up the next guy and so on. We are icing an NHL ready team, not a bunch of guys that have zero experience. This is part of building a winning culture. Just because a guy is more talented doesn't mean he deserves to play in the NHL. If you want to maximise potential, you have to give each player the right amount of attention. Kind of like high school kids in classes of 30 vs classrooms of 10.

Just wait and see what happens. We need to know what we have in the vets first, then the prospects, then work out trades that will make us better in the future. It's about the future, not about today.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
JHS & MDC are now career AHLers, never to see the NHL (at least on the Islanders). And honestly, it's time to move on from these 2 guys. It's like when the Isles finally moved on from Tambellini and Kabanov. They have no worth, and they will just sit in the AHL forever until their contracts are up. I didn't expect anything out of MDC, he is what he is, a bust. JHS, talks the talk, but never walks the walk. He knew this was probably his last chance, and he did absolutely nothing to help himself. You'd think he would've dominated, knowing it was probably his last chance, hell, even drop the gloves, show something. And obviously that "day off", was something more than a maintenance day.

I feel bad for Bellows, but honestly, he had no shot, could've scored several hat tricks, and still wasn't making the team, a team with 360 third and fourth liners. Next year, a few of them will be off the books, and we may see Bellows, Dobson & Wahlstrom on the team.

JHS is 22 years old. He's hardly done. He showed enough during his first cup of coffee - less so in his second. If he puts his head down, busts his ass and plays the right way in BP, he'll get another shot.

MDC? I really have no idea whether he'll ever sniff the NHL - either here or somewhere else. But he's even younger....there's a chance he makes it and stays in the league. But considering what he was supposed to be and what he's shown so far, its longer (and harder) crawl for him.

Reactions: Macch

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Seems like you just hate him. He's produced at a .5 ppg pace every time he's been in the NHL, on bad teams. There's still plenty to like about his game, there's no reason to call him a career AHLer. Everyone was getting on his production in the AHL last season and it turns out he was playing through a broken hand, he was a ppg player before that occurred. I don't understand the hate he gets. He was 100% right about his criticism of the previous regime.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There's order in this chaos. You guys just have to wait. First, you would hurt the rookies more if you added too many at the same time to the roster. Toews is the most ready and can learn..once he does, then bring up the next guy and so on. We are icing an NHL ready team, not a bunch of guys that have zero experience. This is part of building a winning culture. Just because a guy is more talented doesn't mean he deserves to play in the NHL. If you want to maximise potential, you have to give each player the right amount of attention. Kind of like high school kids in classes of 30 vs classrooms of 10.

Just wait and see what happens. We need to know what we have in the vets first, then the prospects, then work out trades that will make us better in the future. It's about the future, not about today.
What exactly do we need to learn about the vets? Kromerov, Filppila, Martin, Cluttersuck, Sibisa, Siedenberg ect are all incredibly terrible players and if you put them in your lineup you will do nothing but lose games. They literally have ZERO upside as players whatsoever. Again, what is there to learn?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That would leave 15 forwards under contract, seven D, 2 goalies and 3 PTOs (Gionta, Sbisa, Seidenberg)
So that's 27 left, meaning 4 have to go to get down to a 23 man roster? Correct? But who knows what's going on with Ladd, so maybe 3 have to go for now.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
What exactly do we need to learn about the vets? Kromerov, Filppila, Martin, Cluttersuck, Sibisa, Siedenberg ect are all incredibly terrible players and if you put them in your lineup you will do nothing but lose games. They literally have ZERO upside as players whatsoever. Again, what is there to learn?

experience "Donald" Trumps skill.

You want to see what your experienced players bring to the table first, then trim and bring in prospects one at a time. Stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a business owner.

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Lets see what happens first.

Bellows, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang have the opportunity to get top six minutes in Bridgeport alongside some solid AHL veterans for once.

That’s a lot better for their development at this point in time than playing 10-12 minutes a night with the grinders that are in currently in the team’s bottom six at moment.

Who knows, we may see this club offload Eberle, Lee, Nelson, and more by the deadline and all of the sudden this top six could look something like this...

Dal Colle-Barzal-Ho-Sang
Bellows-Beauvillier-Bailey

Who knows what’s going to happen.

Reactions: Macch

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
experience "Donald" Trumps skill.

You want to see what your experienced players bring to the table first, then trim and bring in prospects one at a time. Stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a business owner.

I agree. It's ensuring that the veterans aren't worth keeping, since they're harder to come by.

I'm not suggesting Sbisa will suddenly become Hedman or something, but playing in pre-season games as a veteran, with a bunch of prospects, might not be the best way to evaluate them. Most veterans are just going through the motions to get into game shape, and they're not playing with the same type of talent they'd have on the real roster.

Now that the roster is trimmed, the real evaluation begins for them.

justice0

Feb 4, 2014
So that's 27 left, meaning 4 have to go to get down to a 23 man roster? Correct? But who knows what's going on with Ladd, so maybe 3 have to go for now.

Yeah 23 man roster is max - they also have 3 PTO's included in there. Are they going to sign any of those guys... Good point about Ladd, possibly IR.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

JHS and MDC are both in the final years of their contracts so it’s possible we’ve seen the last of them as Islanders. I’m sure Ho-Sang is not done in the NHL yet. He’s too young and too talented to not get another look by another organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad