2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don’t see a spot for Toews, unless they cut both Sbisa and Seids. I think they will sign 1 of them...likely Sbisa. And since Toews doesn’t need waivers (I believe) he is likely going to the AHL.

I mean...

Also, I don't care about Bellows and Ho-Sang. They should get 18+ minutes per night.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Think Lou disagrees...

Probably the nicest backhand compliment you'll ever hear from a guy like Lou

All the knuckleheads on Twitter saying this is the opposite of a "clean slate" need to re-take their reading comprehension classes. He is explicitly saying he had an excellent camp and hasn't seen any of these "issues". He isn't going to succeed on a 3rd or 4th line he needs to step into an available top-6 role, where there isn't a spot...right now. Have to see how the vets do first, everyone is expendable.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
There are decent chances Lee/Eberle won't be back, that's Bellows and Ho-Sang right there. Which BTW is a BAD THING. I'd rather trade them for D upgrades or a signed Bobrovsky.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Let's be real. There is one rookie that deserves to make the team and that's Toews.

Bellows had a great camp. Nothing wrong with him learning the pro game in Bridgeport. Especially now that they revamped the roster and they look like they'll be competative.

With JHS it is what it is. I love the guy and want him to succeed. This is a make or break year. I'm not gonna worry about him until January. But truth be told I expect him to play 40+ game this year.

I really don't think there were any surprises.

We're going to have 2x scoring lines and 2x grinder lines.

It'll do more harm than good putting Bellows and Ho-Sang in a 3rd line role when they can gaining experience playing 1st line top pp unit time in Bridgeport.

This will pay off big time for the future.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
All the knuckleheads on Twitter saying this is the opposite of a "clean slate" need to re-take their reading comprehension classes. He is explicitly saying he had an excellent camp and hasn't seen any of these "issues". He isn't going to succeed on a 3rd or 4th line he needs to step into an available top-6 role, where there isn't a spot...right now. Have to see how the vets do first, everyone is expendable.

Twitter NYI fans are some of the biggest dopes around

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Ho-Sang needs his confidence back in order to make the NHL. I said before, watching him in preseason, he lost all of his offensive swagger, and that swagger allows him to produce. He's done a lot of right things that he didn't do in the past, but he needs to get ALL of it. Right now, his offense isn't showing, so he could show it off in the AHL being paired with Bellows.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I really don't think there were any surprises.

We're going to have 2x scoring lines and 2x grinder lines.

It'll do more harm than good putting Bellows and Ho-Sang in a 3rd line role when they can gaining experience playing 1st line top pp unit time in Bridgeport.

This will pay off big time for the future.

I'm not going to go nuts just yet. They aren't challenging for a cup. This is a stabilizing year. The team in March is going to look very different as well as the team exactly 1 year from today.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Ho-Sang needs his confidence back in order to make the NHL. I said before, watching him in preseason, he lost all of his offensive swagger, and that swagger allows him to produce. He's done a lot of right things that he didn't do in the past, but he needs to get ALL of it. Right now, his offense isn't showing, so he could show it off in the AHL being paired with Bellows.

And what will help him the most is playing on a line with Kieffer Bellows. That should be a very high scoring combo in Bridgeport.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

From all reports he didn't have any swagger in camp. He was second guessing himself and focusing too much on making sure he was playing a 200 foot game, which is great but he also needs to play to his strengths.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
From all reports he didn't have any swagger in camp. He was second guessing himself and focusing too much on making sure he was playing a 200 foot game, which is great but he also needs to play to his strengths.

I didn't catch any of the preseason games he was in but from last year, I remember him being pushed off the puck pretty easily so I hope he worked on his strength. Did anyone notice in his games that he seemed to get stronger and was able to hang onto the puck more?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I haven't watched any of the preseason... however if Toews has been playing as well as everyone says, I'm going to be really annoyed if he is not in the starting lineup. There's absolutely no point in him being a 7th dman.

If they need to see more of Toews before making a decision rotate every two games for a little while between Hickey, Pelech, and Toews (i.e. 2 games on, 1 game off) for a little while. It won't hurt Hickey. We need an all-around mobile puck mover in the worst way, and if Toews is showing mobility and maturity, not playing him is ridiculous.

Hickey is not coming out of the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if he's even given an "A". The Hickey - Pulock pair worked well the second half last year - I think that pairing is finalized...at least at the outset.

I'm OK with Toews starting as the #7 guy at the beginning of the season provided he gets rotated in relatively quickly. I'd much prefer him being the #7 guy as opposed to starting in BP which I fear may happen. I understand the benefit of having a veteran like Sbisa around (for when we lose more than 1 Dman this year which is bound to happen) but Toews is now 24 and deserves to have a shot at playing. While we can't put too much reliance on the preseason, his play (both what I've seen and what I've read) puts him in the running for a starting spot on the 3rd pairing. Mayfield and Pelech shouldn't have their spots carved in stone.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I smell a trade in a few months with guys on contract to bring up the young guns.
That would be the best move but its hard to get a trade done in this league. Its one thing to say "We'll move Nelson for a 2nd rounder" but its another thing to find a team willing to give it to us.

Reactions: CodeE and xECK29x

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Is this will be our line-up for the opening night?

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-Nelson-Eberle
Komarov-Filppula-Kovar
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl
Johnston

I wouldnt be surprise if Johnston stay as the 14th forward unless we keep 8 D or Ladd is coming back soon. Not sure if Kovar is good at RW also.
I think you may have it exactly correct, except as you indicated perhaps Kuhnhackl (more likely) or Johnston get the heave-ho and they do go with 8 D on the roster (thus keeping both Toews and Sbisa). Worst case, Sbisa should fetch a 3rd rounder closer to the deadline.

Don't underestimate Lou figuring he can stock up on picks by trading some of these vets and then bringing up kids if they're doing well in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he's inevitably going down too. The Top 6 D is set based on contracts with Sbisa and Seids battling for #7. Toews will be back as soon as the inevitable Boychuck injury occurs.
The Isles could waive Pelech to send him down and nobody would claim him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like Toews may make it. He was not part of the roster trimming. Good sign, and I agree he should be on the big team to start the season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ladd probably starts the year on IR.

Cutting all three PTOs would bring them
down to 23.

I wouldn’t mind signing Gionta to a two-way deal for Bridgeport, but I want nothing to do with Sbisa or Seidenberg.

I think Lou signs Sbisa though.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Ladd probably starts the year on IR.

Cutting all three PTOs would bring them
down to 23.

I wouldn’t mind signing Gionta to a two-way deal for Bridgeport, but I want nothing to do with Sbisa or Seidenberg.

I think Lou signs Sbisa though.

If Sbisa would/could go to BP, I'm OK with it. Keeping a vet on ice until we need him is fine with me. But, I don't know if he'd accept that role or if we have the room, considering the players that we would want to have there. I was surprised a guy like Sbisa coming off a Stanley Cup final could only get a PTO so what do i know?

But if we sign Sbisa and send down Toews, I'll be annoyed. I understand the rationale as Toews would be the next guy up, but there's no way we should have Sbisa in the lineup EVER over Toews.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't see the big deal or cause for hysteria regarding JHS being cut

Bridgeport has been a wasteland, they finally have a strong veteran team and a bluechip sniper in Bellows, thats a good place for Ho-Sang at this point in time. Let him dominate the AHL and call him up when injuries happen. Despite his extraordinary skill, he has never even sniffed a PPG at the AHL, he's produced at a much lower rate.

When he's lighting the AHL up, thats when he should get the call. I'm pretty sure he'll be on a line with Bellows and get top-PP minutes.

Reactions: Macch and xECK29x

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not 100% sure of that. He's cheap and will still be a RFA when his contract is up. Someone might take a chance on him.
Then let him go. He’s low ceiling, and that also would clear off a needless contract. Same for Mayfield.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Face it, the only real competition for spots this year was on the 3rd and 4th lines and 6/7th defenseman. Top two lines and pairing were already set well beforehand and with Lou signing all sorts of 3rd/4th line veterans in the summer there was never any room for the likes of Bellows and Ho-Sang. He was never gonna cut his own signings was he?

What'll happen next is that Gionta will be signed and go to Bridgeport and Sbisa will sign on to be the 8th dman. Wouldn't be surprised to see them put him in Toews place.

Reactions: Macch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad