2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Boychuk seems to be in good form so far... is there still a place for him on the team's 2nd powerplay?

I don’t think so. I wouldn’t hate it but the trend seems to be tou want guys who can skate the puck into the zone if need be. Also good to have a guy that can get back Incase the Pker picks off the puck.

Boychuck still has a heavy shot but he does this odd thing were he does a pass/shot toward the net and looks for sticks. Imo he should just shoot it on net and let the forwards worry about the deflections. More often than not it results in the shot going wide.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not liking the argument of using veteran contracts to justify sending down JHS and Bellows. They should have been given a longer look.

Bellows played better than Kuhnhackl, Filp, and Komarov combined. The three questionable signings of LLs early tenure. That is one, slow 3rd line.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think Gross thinks Kovar is going to BPT.

I can’t see that. I’m guessing he would leave for the KHL. But he mentioned it in a tweet before that maybe Kovar would start in the AHL.

I'd be shocked and impressed with Kovar if he accepted an AHL spot.

i would rather see Kuhnackl sent down to BP, and keep Kovar.

Me too. Kuhnackl is really easy to replace. Kovar could be a really solid player for the team in a position of need.

I understand this now. I was thinking "bath salts" were scenty packets of fizzy stuff one puts in the bath while covering one's eyes with sliced cucumber.

They are one in the same I believe, just used for getting high instead of the bath. Some states have a ban on selling them for that reason.

So this is the list we're down to now? I've gotta think Kuhnhackl is the weakest link.

Lee Barzal Bailey
Beauvillier Nelson Eberle
Komarov Kovar Filppula
Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl Ladd

Leddy Boychuk
Pelech Pulock
Hickey Mayfield
Sbisa Toews

Lehner
Greiss

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Not liking the argument of using veteran contracts to justify sending down JHS and Bellows. They should have been given a longer look.

Bellows played better than Kuhnhackl, Filp, and Komarov combined. The three questionable signings of LLs early tenure. That is one, slow 3rd line.

This won't hurt Bellows. He will continue to make incremental progress. Someone will get injured. He'll get his chance.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This won't hurt Bellows. He will continue to make incremental progress. Someone will get injured. He'll get his chance.

Yeah, I’m on the fence w him. It’s probably better for to get top line mins w playmakers as opposed to 3rd line w Filp and Komarov.

I just hope Sbisa doesn’t block Toews by default of being the vet.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Did I miss what happened with Kosorenkov? Elite Prospects has him with the sound Tigers.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Bellows is 20 years old. People gotta relax. Let him get some pro experience under his belt and start out in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that.
Pretty much what Lou said on the subject.

Lou Lamoriello in the Athletic said:
“There is no question there is a tendency to put players in a situation they shouldn’t be too soon,” he said. “Free agency has determined that. It’s a decision everybody has to make. If we can keep them in the minors — I’ve always said it’s better they come up too late than too soon. I know in my past, players all played 2-3 years in the minors, it was just the growing end of it, the learning process. It is a new world, but not to the point you have to do it.”

“It’s best for him to go to the minors, play a lot, play in key situations and grow as a player.”

source: Islanders' cutdown day: Ho-Sang, Bellows among those sent...

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
By my following, Matt Loritto and John Stevens have not been cut yet. I tried asking Art and Andrew about them but niether has responded. Also has anyone seen anything about Soderstrom?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Also, Trotz thinks of Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck as the third line...
Nice terminology, but saying "3 and grind" instead of "3 and 4" is like saying "1A and 1B" instead of "1 and 2".

You could call them "A, 2, Fred, and purple" and it doesn't change anything.

" 'A rose by any name would smell as sweet', but would you try it if it was called skunkweed?"

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That's true - the book on him is far from being written. But....the first few chapters have been. This year will be very telling. I think he still can develop into a nice two way defender. Clearly not a top pair guy, but a 2nd/3rd tweener perhaps. Nothing wrong with that - especially if you have two solid pairings above him.

But I don't have any real issue with Pelech or his contract. My issues are more with the Mayfield deal. I think his upside is fairly limited and what we've seen is what we get. And what we've seen ain't terrible - he's not a complete liability. But, he's not a guy who anyone will ever say "Oh, we need to get that guy in the lineup."

I definitely concur that Mayfield is the weakest link among our expected Top 6. There's something about his style of play that has me thinking he's never getting over that 5-8 role for any team, anywhere in the league.

I still don't mind the deal, because I think it's one a whole bunch of GMs would have made.

Young Dmen with promise are a scarce commodity. How much promise Mayfield actually has is another thing entirely.

But I think Snow nailed him down so long, because the price is a sweetheart deal and Mayfield is homegrown, having shown some toughness and a few pretty doggone nifty passes along the way. And because that was part of Snow's MO (Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic, Pelech, etc.).

Like I mentioned with Pelech, we'll see what Trotz makes out of Mayfield. He could very well determine that Scott isn't really part of "his" long-term plans.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Do keep in mind that Bellows' competition for a job is not the EMC2 line and it's not Kuhnhackl, Komarov, and Ladd. And it's certainly not one of the so-called centers in Nelson, Filppula, and Kovar.

Bellows is going to be a top 6 winger in this league and take on a scoring role. HIS competition was Lee, Bailey, Beau, and Eberle.

To properly foster a future top 6 winger, he have to have him PLAYING a top 6 role and getting plenty of PP time in the process. He will get that in BPort, where he can hone his craft and perhaps be ready to jump into a top 6 role if one of our top 6 wingers gets injured.

Now, I too liked what we've seen from Bellows, who already has an above-average NHL shot, but every other aspect of his game needs working on. Every single one. The guy has not played even ONE game of regular season pro hockey. Not one.

IN GENERAL:
You'd think that the Niederreiter experience alone would have NYI fans willing to err on the side of caution, if they think Bellows' assignment to BPort is an error.

Damnit, we have Stanley Cup winning GM and a Stanley Cup winning coach here. It just SHOCKS me how many NYI fans around the Internet think they know better than these guys.

I'd just say be happy that we've FINALLY got some clear-cut and wise decision making around here. There's a plan in play and it's one that has proven to lead to success.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

PS) This line irks me. Might be one of the most shortsighted things I've seen around these parts.

You're saying that 3 games of Bellows in the preseason, one where he was invisible playing with a couple of AHLers, showed you that he is better than 3 NHLers who have racked up roughly 1500 games of NHL experience, because he "played better" than them in their 1 or 2 preseason games?

That's quite the outstanding statement you're making there...

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
By my following, Matt Loritto and John Stevens have not been cut yet. I tried asking Art and Andrew about them but niether has responded. Also has anyone seen anything about Soderstrom?

Roughly six weeks ago, we were informed by a number of sources (based on a lengthy interview with the Swedish press) that Soderstrom's injuries and recovery are much more extensive than first thought to be.

We likely won't see him back on the ice this calendar year, if at all this season. Many suspect that management knew of this and that bolstered the decision to draft - then immediately sign - Skarek.

As for Lorito and Stevens, did they even play one preseason game?

I've heard nary a thing about either.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That could be the worst line in the nhl

Yeahhhhhhh... no.

Both Filppula and Komarov are much more respected around the league than they are thus far among Islander fans. Filppula (faceoffs) and Komarov (forecheck) each bring a certain aspect to the table that is above league-average. We can use both of those attributes immensely.

Kuhnhackl was a big time scorer in Germany when coming up and continued to play a key offensive role when he was in Canadian juniors.

He worked his way up into a SC-winning team, doing what was asked of him along the way in order to stick - and that meant foregoing any purely offensive ambitions he might have had.

We don't know what we've got in this guy, but we do know he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

And that's just the attitude that our whole team needs to have heading into this season.

Last edited:

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
I think it's a stretch to say he was a big time scorer coming up, but I will see what he brings since he has something to prove, I'm waiting to see what he brings

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->