2018-2019 Training Camp Discussion

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson back to junior. Smart move. Kids going to have a huge year and come back next year ready to really challenge for a spot.

Hopefully he takes the game action and training camp experience to take his game to another level. Big year for him, likely the new Captain for AB and the lead dog for Team Canada's blue line.

Reactions: SI90

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Looks like Ho-Sang and Bellows will start our in BPORT. Not the worst thIng.

Yup - hopefully they bust their ass and force the team's hand when it comes to calling the next guy up.

Glad to see Toews hasn't been sent down yet though. He's 24 - he doesn't need any more ripening.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yup - hopefully they bust their ass and force the team's hand when it comes to calling the next guy up.

Glad to see Toews hasn't been sent down yet though. He's 24 - he doesn't need any more ripening.

IMHO he’s one of our best 6 Defensman right now. He should be in the nhl line up to start the season until he proves otherwise

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
IMHO he’s one of our best 6 Defensman right now. He should be in the nhl line up to start the season until he proves otherwise

I think he's inevitably going down too. The Top 6 D is set based on contracts with Sbisa and Seids battling for #7. Toews will be back as soon as the inevitable Boychuck injury occurs.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I honestly feel bad for Kuhnackl. I'm a team first guy and not overly concerned with a player's individual situation but the guy signed with the team thinking there was a bottom 9 spot for the taking and then they proceed to sign Filppula, Komarov and then trade for Martin - all guys who either have some form of NMC/NTC or multi year deal. He has next to no shot at playing at this point and will likely be waived and/or sent down. Maybe I'm writing him off too early or perhaps over simplifying his situation but I doubt the dude would have signed here if he knew what the situation would be. Not really our problem, I guess, it kind of sucks for him.

Do you or others think he's out of the picture in Trotz or Lou's book?

We've seen very little of our so-called 3rd line (Kuhnhackl-Filppula-Komarov). That - and their contracts - tells me that these guys are relatively ensured of a job heading into the season. No questions asked.

I'm sure some fans don't really care for that, but I'm thinking that's simply the way it is.

I'm fine with each individual player we signed but ultimately I think the Komarov deal - and its length - has really hamstrung the flexibility of our roster. The Mayfield (and/or Pelech - take your pick) extension too for that matter.

This I'll never understand. Wrapping up a U25 defender for under 2 million per over 5 years hamstrings nothing.

If they get outplayed, you can eat their contracts rather easily.

If they become of little use to your club, there are plenty of teams out there who'd love to add contracts of that nature for depth on their blueline.

Although I'm higher on Pelech than Mayfield, we are talking about a couple of guys who may very well turn into workhorses at some point soon.

They're both basically entering just their second full season of play. We'll call it their 3rd season to be generous.

Not a thing about those contracts make them a burden.

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Assuming the coaching staff sees that as well, hopefully they act on it. If they decide to go with a 3 man rotation in the bottom pairing to start off the season, I'm fine with that. Those guys shouldn't have anything handed to them. I'm all for guys being able to get in rhythm but I'm an even bigger proponent of letting the best guys play. If it were me, I'd start with Toews - Pelech as the 3rd pair and see how it goes. Work Mayfield in as well and see what works best. Inevitably we'll need a 7th Dman - especially with Boychuk likely to be hurt.

The only problem we face is when the injury bug inevitably hits. We're fine for a 7th Dman, but what do we do if/when we need the 8th? That's the reason we are entertaining Sbisa. If Sbisa were to be the #7 Dman, we'd have Toews waiting in the wing for the inevitable call up. Unfortunately/Fortunately (depending on your perspective), Toews has played too well to be sent down (at least in most of our views) so therefore, unless we carry 8 Dmen, we have a little bit of a problem on the roster construction front. I don't think Sbisa will want to play down in BP - maybe I'm wrong on that front though.

Perhaps Sbisa will develop a paper cut and we can hide him on IR :dunno:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Do you or others think he's out of the picture in Trotz or Lou's book?

We've seen very little of our so-called 3rd line (Kuhnhackl-Filppula-Komarov). That - and their contracts - tells me that these guys are relatively ensured of a job heading into the season. No questions asked.

I'm sure some fans don't really care for that, but I'm thinking that's simply the way it is.

This I'll never understand. Wrapping up a U25 defender for under 2 million per over 5 years hamstrings nothing.

If they get outplayed, you can eat their contracts rather easily.

If they become of little use to your club, there are plenty of teams out there who'd love to add contracts of that nature for depth on their blueline.

Although I'm higher on Pelech than Mayfield, we are talking about a couple of guys who may very well turn into workhorses at some point soon.

They're both basically entering just their second full season of play. We'll call it their 3rd season to be generous.

Not a thing about those contracts make them a burden.

My issue with the Pelech/Mayfield contract situation is the fact we signed both of them. If it was one or the other - I'm fine with it. Both of them though creates a roster logjam. And the same contract could have been dished out this year if warranted - we could have waited to see which one deserves it. It was just a little too hasty. I'm fine with the approach fundamentally - especially with Pelech as he at least had some upside - but I simply don't see the upside of Mayfield that warrants locking him in for so long.

As far as the Kuhnackl - Filppula - Komarov line, if Ladd's injury is prolonged - sure, its a possibility. But if it comes down to Kuhnackl vs. Kovar for a roster spot, I think Kovar gets the nod - from both a contract and upside perspective.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's fine. From what I gather with Lou's statement is if these guys struggle you'll see Bellows and Ho-Sang.

There's nothing wrong with both of those guys starting at BP. If they truly are that good, they'll play their way on to the NHL team. But I also think that if we didn't have the contract log jam, Bellows would be on the big club's roster and they'd be saying how impressive he was and how he earned his way onto the squad (as opposed to it being given to him). But this is the narrative for now - which is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Macch

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I haven't watched any of the preseason... however if Toews has been playing as well as everyone says, I'm going to be really annoyed if he is not in the starting lineup. There's absolutely no point in him being a 7th dman.

If they need to see more of Toews before making a decision rotate every two games for a little while between Hickey, Pelech, and Toews (i.e. 2 games on, 1 game off) for a little while. It won't hurt Hickey. We need an all-around mobile puck mover in the worst way, and if Toews is showing mobility and maturity, not playing him is ridiculous.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ho-Sang is likely gone after this season. It just hasn’t worked out here in my opinion.

Looks like the tank is on.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Ho-Sang is likely gone after this season. It just hasn’t worked out here in my opinion.

Looks like the tank is on.

Think Lou disagrees...

Probably the nicest backhand compliment you'll ever hear from a guy like Lou

Reactions: dood

scott99

May 13, 2005
Trade JHS for some sticks and just end the experiment. He's not a good player.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Is this will be our line-up for the opening night?

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-Nelson-Eberle
Komarov-Filppula-Kovar
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl
Johnston

I wouldnt be surprise if Johnston stay as the 14th forward unless we keep 8 D or Ladd is coming back soon. Not sure if Kovar is good at RW also.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I haven't watched any of the preseason... however if Toews has been playing as well as everyone says, I'm going to be really annoyed if he is not in the starting lineup. There's absolutely no point in him being a 7th dman.

If they need to see more of Toews before making a decision rotate every two games for a little while between Hickey, Pelech, and Toews (i.e. 2 games on, 1 game off) for a little while. It won't hurt Hickey. We need an all-around mobile puck mover in the worst way, and if Toews is showing mobility and maturity, not playing him is ridiculous.

Toews’ season is likely going to be a lot like Pulock’s was last season. Healthy scratch early on, followed by a strong end to the season.

EDIT:

Adding Toews and Dobson as “full time” defensemen next season will likely be the additions on the blueline.

If Wahlstrom is as good as people say he is, he’ll make the jump after one year at BC. I don’t think Eberle re-signs, and I think GMLL will want to clean his hands of Ho-Sang.

I can see Lou going hard for Bobrovsky on July 1st.

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-2C-Wahlstrom
Bellows-3C-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Johnston, Ladd

Leddy-Dobson
Hickey-Pulock
Toews-Boychuk

Bobrovsky
Greiss

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

I don’t see a spot for Toews, unless they cut both Sbisa and Seids. I think they will sign 1 of them...likely Sbisa. And since Toews doesn’t need waivers (I believe) he is likely going to the AHL.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Let's be real. There is one rookie that deserves to make the team and that's Toews.

Bellows had a great camp. Nothing wrong with him learning the pro game in Bridgeport. Especially now that they revamped the roster and they look like they'll be competative.

With JHS it is what it is. I love the guy and want him to succeed. This is a make or break year. I'm not gonna worry about him until January. But truth be told I expect him to play 40+ game this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad