Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Moving Montour before seeing what he looks like away from Carlyle would be idiotic. Sure he has things to work on defensively but he's a spark plug offensively back there. The point has been made many times here, but Montour is stylistically similar to Vatanen and look how much better he has played away from Randy. Still ridiculous that Carlyle essentially called him out last playoffs when he was 1 of like 3 players actually doing anything.
I would even say that Montour is much more physically gifted than Vatanen. Sami probably has better offensive instincts at this point, but that should come with experience for Montour. If it does, he should be the more dynamic player between the two.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He no showed once and was playing hurt that season. Other than that he produced in the playoffs.
He scored 4 goals in his last 25 playoff games with us and his production declined each year. He just seemed to be stagnating badly.

Oct 18, 2011
Oh come on, you disagree with that?
Palmieri had underlying numbers showing he could blossom into a top 6 forward, what he needed was a consistent opportunity so even if he had a few bad games he wouldn't be pushed out of a scoring role

Oct 18, 2011
I would even say that Montour is much more physically gifted than Vatanen. Sami probably has better offensive instincts at this point, but that should come with experience for Montour. If it does, he should be the more dynamic player between the two.
Moving Montour before firing RC would be a dumb thing to do, so I can see it happening.

No trade is going to fix our structural issues of puck possession

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
What makes the Palmieri trade so god damn infuriating is when it happened and what he was traded for. There was always an issue with Palms that we didn’t have the ideal spot for him. We often tried on him on the left side which he wasn’t good at. The offseason he was traded was the same offseason that both Bruce and Bob said that splitting Getz and Perry was going to be prioritized to spread out scoring. Due to trading Palmieri, our top RW on a nightly basis was often Chris Stewart or Mike Santorelli. Murray managed to trade Palms when we needed him most. f***ing idiot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He scored 4 goals in his last 25 playoff games with us and his production declined each year. He just seemed to be stagnating badly.

He had 3 in 7 in ‘13 then 3 in 9 in ‘14 then 1 in 16 in ‘15 which was the year he was playing hurt the whole second half of the season. Take away him playing through injuries and it’s 6 in 16 games which is pretty good for someone getting 10-12 mins a night

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What makes the Palmieri trade so god damn infuriating is when it happened and what he was traded for. There was always an issue with Palms that we didn’t have the ideal spot for him. We often tried on him on the left side which he wasn’t good at. The offseason he was traded was the same offseason that both Bruce and Bob said that splitting Getz and Perry was going to be prioritized to spread out scoring. Due to trading Palmieri, our top RW on a nightly basis was often Chris Stewart or Mike Santorelli. Murray managed to trade Palms when we needed him most. ****ing idiot.
Yeah. I liked what tools Palmieri brought to the table, he had great speed & a good shot but was never given the minutes & when he did good he'd get sent down to AHL or bumped down to the 4th line regardless of how he did in a game.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Also, BM before the playoffs had said if people no-showed in the playoffs there would be changes. He then proceeded to no show in the playoffs.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah. I liked what tools Palmieri brought to the table, he had great speed & a good shot but was never given the minutes & when he did good he'd get sent down to AHL or bumped down to the 4th line regardless of how he did in a game.
There’s a lot of forgetting how he played going on. He would put together a string of good games, get promoted, then turn into a perimeter player and/or drive straight toward the net and take a weak shot right at the crest well before getting there. He had a habit of stopping playing the way that would get him promoted to the first line as soon as he’d spent a few games there.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There’s a lot of forgetting how he played going on. He would put together a string of good games, get promoted, then turn into a perimeter player and/or drive straight toward the net and take a weak shot right at the crest well before getting there. He had a habit of stopping playing the way that would get him promoted to the first line as soon as he’d spent a few games there.

He also had the shortest leash of anyone though. Yeah he had some consistency issues but so do a lot of forwards that age and every time he did something wrong he would go straight to the 4th line. His per minute production was really good and as soon as he went to a team where he got consistent opportunity he excelled.

Trading him was stupid, especially given that a spot alongside Getzlaf opened up at RW the camp after he was traded.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s water under the bridge at this point. It obviously was a mistake in hindsight to get rid of him. If it was warranted or not at the time is highly debatable. That’s where I split up the decisions on Palms and Karlsson. WK wasn’t going to get a chance here. He wasn’t just buried behind Getzlaf and Kesler but at the time Rakell was still a center. So 3 good players ahead of him. He was either moving to wing or playing on the 4th line here and neither of those options were feasible. So trading him was and is fine. It didn’t work out but the thought process made a lot of sense. Palms on the other hand was on a good contract and was he really the guy you send out to send a message to a core that was choking? I don’t know about that

I think it’s a lesson that trading young skill for less than an overpayment can be risky.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Palms created a bad environment for himself by noshowing multiple times in the playoffs.

A new role and fresh start helped him become the player he is now, I just don't think he would have gotten that here.
He grew up loving the devils team, not a player on the planet can play as well for some random team than his childhood loved team. Edit, also around that time is when BM started trying to put together top 9 wingers that could also play defense ( Palms was absolute joke in his own end )

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He grew up loving the devils team, not a player on the planet can play as well for some random team than his childhood loved team. Edit, also around that time is when BM started trying to put together top 9 wingers that could also play defense ( Palms was absolute joke in his own end )

Because Stewart and Santorelli who ended up playing 1RW that year were so good defensively? Both were significant downgrades overall over Palmieri and about his equal defensively.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

The bold is a gross exaggeration. See Kevin Shattenkirk as a recent example. That comment would insinuate that a large portion of the players in the league would all be better players if they played for Toronto, despite how the rest of the roster looked.

The edited part isn't much better. You think Chris Stewart was much better in his own end than Palms?

Last edited:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Because Stewart and Santorelli who ended up playing 1RW that year were so good defensively? Both were significant downgrades overall over Palmieri and about his equal defensively.
I think Stewart was a Boudreau guy, and at the time I think there was still a belief that in the right situation and motivated, he could be a more consistent scoring power forward. They got him on the cheap and it wasn't unreasonable to think that he could pan out and outplay Palms, while bringing a physical element as well.

On the Palms trade in general, to further stomp this dead horse: Like others have said, I think Murray made an example of Palms after a frustrating playoff exit, and maybe felt he wasn't putting it together under Bruce's watch the way he should, which is understandable to a point. But I just see that sort of motivation for trading young talent as poor asset management unless the player is reaaally floundering. Which I don't feel was the case.

When it all shakes out, I have no issue with the fact that Palms was eventually traded, it was that Murray got pissed off and shipped him out a year too soon. There was nothing to lose by waiting, and it bit us in the rear the next season.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The bold is a gross exaggeration. See Kevin Shattenkirk as the most recent example. That comment would insinuate that a large portion of the players in the league would all be better players if they played for Toronto, despite how the roster looked.

The edited part isn't much better. You think Chris Stewart was much better in his own end than Palms?
Like how Vatanen grew up being a Ducks fan but is now playing better for the Devils.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe that’s where the Montour rumors are coming from. That’s one of the rare cases I would consider moving him although I would want a PMD back. Maybe Silf plus Montour for Nylander and Gardiner with some retention on Gardiner to make this years cap work.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Can Nylander drive his own line? Because we severely need another player that can do that. Right now we have Getzlaf-Rakell as a solid top line. Then you've got Kase-Henrique as a great 3rd line.

Our "2nd line" is garbage

My worry about Nylander is that he has played most of his career riding shotgun to Matthews, and if he came here he wouldn't be playing with a guy like that.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm pretty lukewarm on Nylander. He's talented, but I'm not convinced that he solves anything for us now or in the future. Or maybe I just don't want to help the Leafs. Probably both.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Can Nylander drive his own line? Because we severely need another player that can do that. Right now we have Getzlaf-Rakell as a solid top line. Then you've got Kase-Henrique as a great 3rd line.

Our "2nd line" is garbage

My worry about Nylander is that he has played most of his career riding shotgun to Matthews, and if he came here he wouldn't be playing with a guy like that.

He definitely can drive his own line and isn’t just a product of Matthews. He has loads of offensive talent - great skater, elite hands, loves to carry the puck and a very good shot. His issues are that he’s at best average defensively, he doesn’t shoot enough, he’s inconsistent and doesn’t play with a lot of intensity.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Nylander is a playmaker, we need pure scorers. Don't see that coming from Nylander. And not sold on him being able to carry his own line, especially as a winger. Even with Matthews he's only been able to put 61 points; he'll get lower points playing less minutes with worse linemates on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad