Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Nylander is a playmaker, we need pure scorers. Don't see that coming from Nylander. And not sold on him being able to carry his own line, especially as a winger. Even with Matthews he's only been able to put 61 points; he'll get lower points playing less minutes with worse linemates on this team.

He spent quite a bit of time on the 4th line last season and wasn’t on the top PP unit so I’m not sure his ice time would go down. Agreed that we need a goalscorers more than a playmaker though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Nylander is a playmaker, we need pure scorers. Don't see that coming from Nylander. And not sold on him being able to carry his own line, especially as a winger. Even with Matthews he's only been able to put 61 points; he'll get lower points playing less minutes with worse linemates on this team.

See I disagree. It would be very generous to call the forwards on the team pure scorers, but they really aren't playmakers either. In terms of the passing game and racking up assists, Perry might be the 2nd best forward on this roster right now, which is kind of astounding. Pretty much everyone but Getzlaf is someone who might have as many or more goals than assists and maybe that's a big reason this team struggles to score and is way too reliant on the captain. I think I said it last year too but I really don't think the problem is too few guys who can actually score. Plenty of these guys are capable of scoring 20 or more, but when you have exactly one guy capable of 40 assists, that's a bit of an issue.

I'm a bit on the fence about Nylander, given hes another right shooting right winger and he'll be expensive both to trade for and to sign, but at this point, f*** it. I dont think he's turning into Bobby Ryan overnight, this is a chance to get a highly skilled young guy who shouldn't even be available, I think you gotta take it. Even if it means trading Montour(which I'm actually kind of really open to doing either way) and some other assets, if it's not insane, I'm all for it. Just probably not gonna get another opportunity like this.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
See I disagree. It would be very generous to call the forwards on the team pure scorers, but they really aren't playmakers either. In terms of the passing game and racking up assists, Perry might be the 2nd best forward on this roster right now, which is kind of astounding. Pretty much everyone but Getzlaf is someone who might have as many or more goals than assists and maybe that's a big reason this team struggles to score and is way too reliant on the captain. I think I said it last year too but I really don't think the problem is too few guys who can actually score. Plenty of these guys are capable of scoring 20 or more, but when you have exactly one guy capable of 40 assists, that's a bit of an issue.

I'm a bit on the fence about Nylander, given hes another right shooting right winger and he'll be expensive both to trade for and to sign, but at this point, **** it. I dont think he's turning into Bobby Ryan overnight, this is a chance to get a highly skilled young guy who shouldn't even be available, I think you gotta take it. Even if it means trading Montour(which I'm actually kind of really open to doing either way) and some other assets, if it's not insane, I'm all for it. Just probably not gonna get another opportunity like this.
I agree with your comment on playmakers. Only other strong playmaker in the system that I see is Steel.

As for Nylander, I dont think you can build a cup contender around good wingers. If I'm moving quality good young assets it will be for a center. Moving Montour for a good winger will just create a hole on d and we wouldnt be much better and our payroll would be much higher.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Nylander is certainly an interesting thought, not everyday such a talented young player is available to acquire. While I still think I'd only move Montour for a top young center (if a team was dumb enough to do it), Nylander would certainly make me consider trading Montour for him.

I guess my biggest concern would be losing a major trade chip in Montour who could be potentially packaged for a good young center as we'd be putting our eggs in the Steel/Lundestrom basket which is a risk as I'm not sure either of them have that potential. However at the same time you're adding a 1st line winger in Nylander - and as much as I like some of our young forwards, I'm not sure any of them have a ceiling higher then a 2nd line forward.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’ve said before I’d only move Montour for an absurd overpayment right now.

Having said that, If Nylander can drive his own line offensively (with meh line mates), I am all for trading Montour for him. Honestly, I haven’t seen Nylander play much

It’s obvious the Ducks need another highly skilled player. The current top 9 just can’t score goals

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We can't afford nylander

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Something around Montour and Silfverberg could work. Toronto fans don't seem thrilled by those assets though and we really can't afford to add the salary Nylander will end up getting without making additional changes prior to next season. Most of those 'additional changes' are mere pipe dreams too, so I just don't see it happening.

I think I am much higher on Nylander than most of you too. He's just 22 years old. I think he tops out as a first line center if he is traded to a team that gives him the opportunity to develop into that role.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This talk gave me a very weird (perverted even) excitement about seeing Fowler play behind an offence like Toronto has.
Fowler would be getting assists like crazy on that Toronto team.

Next years D would basicly become
Lindholm/Montour
Mahura/Manson
Larsson/Pettersson

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I agree with your comment on playmakers. Only other strong playmaker in the system that I see is Steel.

As for Nylander, I dont think you can build a cup contender around good wingers. If I'm moving quality good young assets it will be for a center. Moving Montour for a good winger will just create a hole on d and we wouldnt be much better and our payroll would be much higher.

I do agree with that, but I don't know if you can bank on adding the kind of center they want within the next two years(probably how long Montour will remain a Duck, at best IMO). They come available so rarely; it took years and years for this team to find a great second line center, the only realistic shot at replacing Getzlaf is what they already have or will later add in the draft.

Not that it'll happen. Not just because Murray probably wont be that aggressive and make it work, but honestly I think the Leafs are better off waiting till the deadline or draft. I can't see the return being worse and you dont have to deal with the cap implications.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Will be very interesting to see how the Toronto/Nylander saga ends. This is just my feeling, but I think that Toronto and Carolina will make a deal today, and that Toronto won't get what their fans want.

Reactions: dracom

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s time to trade Silfverberg. Rakell, Ritchie, Kase, and Aberg are fine as top 6 wingers with Perry and Eaves possibly in the mix as well. Him being on our third line will only decrease his production and likely his trade value as well. See if we can get a 1st now and take it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It’s time to trade Silfverberg. Rakell, Ritchie, Kase, and Aberg are fine as top 6 wingers with Perry and Eaves possibly in the mix as well. Him being on our third line will only decrease his production and likely his trade value as well. See if we can get a 1st now and take it.
Are you trying to make the playoffs or not? Why not get some legitimate wingers healthy before we get rid of whatever little depth we have?

Pretty much no chance of this happening during a win streak regardless, one would think.

Reactions: Paul4587
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Are you trying to make the playoffs or not? Why not get some legitimate wingers healthy before we get rid of whatever little depth we have?

Pretty much no chance of this happening during a win streak regardless, one would think.

And even then, if that's the plan, why do it now? No one would give up that kind of loot and no matter what his value will be at its highest come the deadline. I mean, I suppose you maybe should if someone has a ridiculous offer for some reason, but realistically, no reason not to wait.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And even then, if that's the plan, why do it now? No one would give up that kind of loot and no matter what his value will be at its highest come the deadline. I mean, I suppose you maybe should if someone has a ridiculous offer for some reason, but realistically, no reason not to wait.
For a hockey trade, pull the trigger. But not for a 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad