I'm fine with the forwards. Would obviously prefer the bottom 5 to be:

Morrow - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers
Chiarot

Leaves a nice developing D in th minors of

Niku - Poolman
Stanley - Green
Nogier

I think we could afford to trade Chiarot for a pick.
I think the bottom pairing is more likely to be Kulikov-Poolman. If Morrissey isn't back, they'll go with Morrow-Poolman (I hope).

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The original poster I responded to clearly stated he wished to remove Connor from the first line solely to reduce his points total for the purposes of contract negotiations.

Just switch Ehlers and Connor. Ehlers is better fit right now anyways and when Connor don't have 1st line minutes he won't score 30 again = cheaper contract.

Thanks for telling me how to read...

You're welcome!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
to my brothers/sisters up North: what are the expectations for Roslovic this year? I have scrolled back a few pages, seems kind of all over the place, is he going to be a third line player with some potential 2nd line work, or can he crack into the top 6?? 30 points? 40 or more points?? excited to see what he can do full-time, appreciate it as always!

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
to my brothers/sisters up North: what are the expectations for Roslovic this year? I have scrolled back a few pages, seems kind of all over the place, is he going to be a third line player with some potential 2nd line work, or can he crack into the top 6?? 30 points? 40 or more points?? excited to see what he can do full-time, appreciate it as always!
Sounds like he's starting at 3C but I wouldn't be surprised to see him higher at some point. Very excited to watch his development.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Currently slotted in at 3C with Perreault and Vesalainen on the wings. Perreault is a terrific play driver, so Roslovic should get a lot of chances in the offensive zone. Vesalainen is a big, scoring power forward with speed and a big shot. If he's ready, he'll create offense. In any case, I see Roslovic getting a lot of good opportunity against lower lines, along with some PP and PK duties. I think 40+ points is very reasonable.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Over the past 3 seasons...

Myers has had his best shot metrics with Buff: CF% 54.1 (relCF% +2.79) and worst xGF% 42.3 (relGF% -8.7).

I think that reflects how both of them tend to struggle in preventing shots from dangerous locations, and perhaps that they have been paired often when the Jets are playing from behind, and therefore playing a looser style.

My main concern with this pair is going to be how they manage in their own zone without the puck. Both can struggle in that area. Buff should help Myers with puck movement in his own zone. Myers struggles with that, but Buff is very good.

In the end, I think that some of the incentive for this pairing is to get Poolman solid minutes on 3 RD.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

Good to see you’re sticking around! Would like to see a Jet/Blackhawk series soon.

Reactions: AmericanDream

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So based on early returns, we are shaping up like:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Lemieux - Rosie - Perreault
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
-Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Myers - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Niku
Morrow, Chiarot

Leaves a nice developing D in the minors of

(Schilling)- Poolman
Stanley - Nogier
(Stojkewych)-Green

I think we could afford to trade Petan for a pick. Because Copp can play 5C. Not much difference between Petan and Griffith at 6C, and Suess is an older more mature option at 7C

My changes to your lineup.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Do you guys expect Sami Niku to make the team on openning night ? Thanks for your answers :)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Do you guys expect Sami Niku to make the team on openning night ? Thanks for your answers :)

The answer is probably not. The lineup Gil Fisher posted is the most likely. Maybe Morrow instead of Chiarot in the starting lineup. If Veselainen makes the team, Niku likely will not, as his ELC is easy to move to the Moose, and it guarantees him lots of playing time, for development. He probably is the #1 d-man for the Moose, PP QB. If Veselainen doesn't make the team, I would say Lemieux does.

I think Petan, because Roslovic is raw as a pro centre, will stick around. Dano fits in the bottom 6 on either wing.

Unlikely to trade a d-man. Chiarot is Kulikov's replacement, if not his partner. Niku, Poolman, Stanley, and Nogier are the depth we need. If there is an injury d, he has a much stronger chance.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Too early to tell at the moment. He's skilled enough to be the clear cut #6 on our depth chart, but if Maurice see's him as a 7th d-man then he will probably start in the AHL to work on his defensive game. If it were up to me, he'd be playing sheltered bottom pairing minutes and on the 2nd PP to replace Myers as Myers is currently a UFA as of next season.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Hard to know.

I'd be a bit surprised if the Jets fly to Helsinki with only one Finn. That probably doesn't keep Maurice awake at night tho.

Niku lost his coverage in front of the net last night, resulting in a goal against. It's the first pre-season game but was a reminder that as good as this kid was last year he still has plenty of work ahead.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Vaseline makes the team out of training camp and plays six games, and then they want them send him down does he go to the Moose or can he still go to Europe.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Hard to know.

I'd be a bit surprised if the Jets fly to Helsinki with only one Finn. That probably doesn't keep Maurice awake at night tho.

Niku lost his coverage in front of the net last night, resulting in a goal against. It's the first pre-season game but was a reminder that as good as this kid was last year he still has plenty of work ahead.
I would rather have seen them have the TC there and play a few exhibition games and then come back to Winnipeg for the regular season. I think the Finns would have ate it up having TC there with our Finns all there.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Vaseline makes the team out of training camp and plays six games, and then they want them send him down does he go to the Moose or can he still go to Europe.

Sara explained during the intermission that KVes has a clause allowing him to go back to Europe at any point.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice's starting lineup to start the season.

KC Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Litttle Laine
MP Roslo Dano
Copper Lowry Tanev
Lemieux Petan

JMo Trouba
Morrow Buff
Kuli Myers
Chiarot

Helle Brossoit

If Lemieux played RW, I think he would start. If he doesn't make the team, he is probably the first call up.

Ares

May 8, 2018
I know Dano's been great but it's not exactly a secret that Maurice doesn't like him so I think he'll be riding the press box again this season. Lemmy is the one I think ultimately might win that 3rd line winger spot. I like Ves but I think he would benefit from some time with the Moose.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I know Dano's been great but it's not exactly a secret that Maurice doesn't like him so I think he'll be riding the press box again this season. Lemmy is the one I think ultimately might win that 3rd line winger spot. I like Ves but I think he would benefit from some time with the Moose.
Maurice had some nice things to say about Dano, because of his handling of press box duties last season and the noticeable improvements he made during the offseason, so he might be warming up to him.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Maurice coached Dano in the World Cup before they acquired him too. I think the message to Dano has been clear all along...get in shape. This offseason he seems like he is finally taken it to heart. Mo may appreciate that. Still think KV is frontrunner to break camp as 12th forward. They may rotate KV, Dano and Petan through that spot and extend KV's time in the NHL (and $$$) to encourage him to go accept a Moose assignment.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice coached Dano in the World Cup before they acquired him too. I think the message to Dano has been clear all along...get in shape. This offseason he seems like he is finally taken it to heart. Mo may appreciate that. Still think KV is frontrunner to break camp as 12th forward. They may rotate KV, Dano and Petan through that spot and extend KV's time in the NHL (and $$$) to encourage him to go accept a Moose assignment.
I think KV and Dano are both ahead of Petan for a winger spot, mostly because the Jets need another winger that will pursue and win pucks. Petan doesn't do that, which is why he's effective with other players that do that, but not without.

KV has shown a propensity to do that so far in pre-season, and when Dano is a bit quicker and in shape, he is pretty good at getting on the puck and creating some turnovers. KV looks better than Dano and Petan at puck possession in the offensive zone, which gives him some advantage over them.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think KV and Dano are both ahead of Petan for a winger spot, mostly because the Jets need another winger that will pursue and win pucks. Petan doesn't do that, which is why he's effective with other players that do that, but not without.

KV has shown a propensity to do that so far in pre-season, and when Dano is a bit quicker and in shape, he is pretty good at getting on the puck and creating some turnovers. KV looks better than Dano and Petan at puck possession in the offensive zone, which gives him some advantage over them.
But KV doesn't have enough of an edge to waste a year of his ELC even though to me there's a pretty strong chance that he has a better career than Dano. I also think that Lemieux plays that role better than Petan. Lemieux reminds more of an Armia, which is the role I think we are trying to fill, than Petan does. Therefore, if it was possible to trade Petan for a defensive prospect that has the slight chance of replacing Chariot I would do it.

Reactions: Jack722

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But KV doesn't have enough of an edge to waste a year of his ELC even though to me there's a pretty strong chance that he has a better career than Dano. I also think that Lemieux plays that role better than Petan. Lemieux reminds more of an Armia, which is the role I think we are trying to fill, than Petan does. Therefore, if it was possible to trade Petan for a defensive prospect that has the slight chance of replacing Chariot I would do it.
It would be nice to keep KV in a developmental year, but I wonder if the Jets might decide that they can't afford to lose him for the entire season to Europe. Let's say they start with Dano and Petan on the roster, and they have an injury to Perreault. Now they are getting pretty thin up front. My guess is that Maurice is going to push to keep the best roster he can, including potential call-ups. Vesalainen looks like he's put himself into that mix. You can worry about ELC and other considerations later. It's "go time".

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It would be nice to keep KV in a developmental year, but I wonder if the Jets might decide that they can't afford to lose him for the entire season to Europe. Let's say they start with Dano and Petan on the roster, and they have an injury to Perreault. Now they are getting pretty thin up front. My guess is that Maurice is going to push to keep the best roster he can, including potential call-ups. Vesalainen looks like he's put himself into that mix. You can worry about ELC and other considerations later. It's "go time".
I'd rather keep Dano and Lemieux. Lemieux also pks. Griffith and Appleton are also not worse than Hendricks and Mathias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad