Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd rather keep Dano and Lemieux. Lemieux also pks. Griffith and Appleton are also not worse than Hendricks and Mathias.
Lemieux looks pretty bad on the PK so far this pre-season. I can't see him in that role this season.

The point is that the Jets need talented depth. I like Dano and Lemieux, but why not have all of your horses ready to go in this important season? KVes is definitely in the mix, and he might better than Lemieux, Dano or Petan at certain aspects of the game, so letting him go to Europe for the season seems problematic.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It’s a long season.

Injuries are going to happen.

I feel like we may obsess too much about this topic.
Bolded above... that's why I think finding a way to keep Vesalainen might be important.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Our two best drivers are 55 and 26. Does it make sense to play them on the same line? Why not put 26 at centre and do this?

81-55-29
27-26-85
28-18-42
9-17-13

Looks good to me.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Bolded above... that's why I think finding a way to keep Vesalainen might be important.
Every team deals with injuries. That's why you have the Mathias and Hendricks of the world. Lemieux also adds a certain toughness which is something we need more in our bottom 6 than whatever Petan can add. So the Jets need to find a way of convincing Ves to stay in NA without wasting a year of his development. Either he realizes what he has to do to make millions and millions in a few years or he acts like a big baby and goes back to Europe.
Our two best drivers are 55 and 26. Does it make sense to play them on the same line? Why not put 26 at centre and do this?

81-55-29
27-26-85
28-18-42
9-17-13

Looks good to me.
Wheeler is not a center. We may as well play Trouba at center. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
With the Jets going to Europe to play games the schedule is somewhat compacted because of it. You can expect injuries in a "normal" year but I think we will have our fair share of injuries yet again this season.
If Vaseline plays for the Moose, he stands a good chance of getting more than 10 games (if he deserves it). I think it would be, overall, a bad strategy for him to play overseas.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

81-55-29
27-26-85
28-18-42
9-17-13

Looks good to me.
It's an interesting line seeing as they did pretty well with Wheeler for their center.
That would leave Ehlers Little Wheeler as your 2nd line though.
KC Scheif Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler (have they ever played together for any amount of time?)
MP Roslo Dano
Copper Loery Tanev

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Lmao at anyone who doesn’t think Copp-Lowry-tanev is going to this be the 3rd line to start the season. They dominated McDavid to the tune of 80% Corsi the other night.

Reactions: Robinson2187

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Maurice's starting lineup to start the season.

KC Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Litttle Laine
MP Roslo Dano
Copper Lowry Tanev
Lemieux Petan

JMo Trouba
Morrow Buff
Kuli Myers
Chiarot

Helle Brossoit

If Lemieux played RW, I think he would start. If he doesn't make the team, he is probably the first call up.
Fact is he does play right wing on moose and in Windsor.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lmao at anyone who doesn’t think Copp-Lowry-tanev is going to this be the 3rd line to start the season. They dominated McDavid to the tune of 80% Corsi the other night.
McD did have 4 points that night. Three points in the third.

Reactions: Ippenator

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It’s a long season.

Injuries are going to happen.

I feel like we may obsess too much about this topic.

There are several times during the year that Maurice made adjustments. I think you have to play to your opponents strengths as much as to your own. Copp has had a good camp, I think cementing his spot in the 12. I like the battle for 12-15. Because 12-15 can all contribute. I don't think Veselainen would get this much attention if he was a 19 year old going back to junior. Europeans and Americans have an unfair advantage over CHL players, especially Europeans who can be teenagers paid professionally.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lemieux looks pretty bad on the PK so far this pre-season. I can't see him in that role this season.

The point is that the Jets need talented depth. I like Dano and Lemieux, but why not have all of your horses ready to go in this important season? KVes is definitely in the mix, and he might better than Lemieux, Dano or Petan at certain aspects of the game, so letting him go to Europe for the season seems problematic.

I think Veselainen is in the mix. I wonder if he gets 9 games, which can be extended over a month to get him to Europe. It's a real trial, and one that is important for salary cap purposes, and his 7 year tenure (3 entry level years).

For me Dano is the front runner. Lemieux is likely first call up. I think Griffith is getting a legitimate shot to compete with Petan, being RH makes him versatile, with Appleton looking like he needs more Moose maturity.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Over the past 3 seasons...

Myers has had his best shot metrics with Buff: CF% 54.1 (relCF% +2.79) and worst xGF% 42.3 (relGF% -8.7).

I think that reflects how both of them tend to struggle in preventing shots from dangerous locations, and perhaps that they have been paired often when the Jets are playing from behind, and therefore playing a looser style.

My main concern with this pair is going to be how they manage in their own zone without the puck. Both can struggle in that area. Buff should help Myers with puck movement in his own zone. Myers struggles with that, but Buff is very good.

In the end, I think that some of the incentive for this pairing is to get Poolman solid minutes on 3 RD.

Ooo look, proper analysis using both Corsi and xGoals together appropriately to paint the overall picture!

Sorry, just funny after reading what I did in Laine thread.

Reactions: Whileee

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

There was a hockey game and then Corsi broke out. Who won?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
There was a hockey game and then Corsi broke out. Who won?

Let me put this in terms you can appreciate...

A hockey game is played. One team had 40 shots toward the net. The other team had 10. Which team do you think played better?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ooo look, proper analysis using both Corsi and xGoals together appropriately to paint the overall picture!

Sorry, just funny after reading what I did in Laine thread.
I would expectost fans to try to understand the building blocks of GF%, and that the low sample sizes often make that a misleading statistic (prone to being skewed by luck).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I would expectost fans to try to understand the building blocks of GF%, and that the low sample sizes often make that a misleading statistic (prone to being skewed by luck).

One thing even I struggle with:
What drives a player to have a better xG% than Corsi% *can sometimes* not be talent driven but unsustainable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There are several times during the year that Maurice made adjustments. I think you have to play to your opponents strengths as much as to your own. Copp has had a good camp, I think cementing his spot in the 12. I like the battle for 12-15. Because 12-15 can all contribute. I don't think Veselainen would get this much attention if he was a 19 year old going back to junior. Europeans and Americans have an unfair advantage over CHL players, especially Europeans who can be teenagers paid professionally.
Agreed with the bolded. I mentioned it in another thread, I don't think the Jets would mind KV going back to Europe if they don't feel he is ready for the NHL. The Euro clause is akin to being able to send a 19 y/o back to junior for their final year while maintaining full control of contract status and not risking an ELC year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One thing even I struggle with:
What drives a player to have a better xG% than Corsi% *can sometimes* not be talent driven but unsustainable.
And vice-versa.... Some players and combos seem to have a better CF% than xGF%.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Let me put this in terms you can appreciate...

A hockey game is played. One team had 40 shots toward the net. The other team had 10. Which team do you think played better?

Analytics is a feeble attempt to quantify hockey. It is much less predictable than baseball or chess, for example. Much more like football, where execution matters. Make a big enough mistake with 10 shots against and that's a goal. Box out well with 40 shots and good goaltending and it's a shutout. Advanced stats are fine, it's more information, but using it as the basis of an argument as if it were the fundamental truth, overlooks the real fundamentals of hockey. Mc David had 4 points. The Oilers won. Jim Corsi has no Stanley Cup rings. So I don't believe his gospel.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Analytics is a feeble attempt to quantify hockey. It is much less predictable than baseball or chess, for example. Much more like football, where execution matters. Make a big enough mistake with 10 shots against and that's a goal. Box out well with 40 shots and good goaltending and it's a shutout. Advanced stats are fine, it's more information, but using it as the basis of an argument as if it were the fundamental truth, overlooks the real fundamentals of hockey. Mc David had 4 points. The Oilers won. Jim Corsi has no Stanley Cup rings. So I don't believe his gospel.

Yup, the line is pretty thin between winning and losing in hockey. What do you think the chances are of a team getting outshot 4 to 1 every game in a season and making the playoffs is?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
A team that gives up 40 shots and gets 10 is executing? That's some game plan.

McDavid doesn't have any Stanley Cup rings either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad