2018-2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Jones wins a cup it will just be bleepin cherry on top.

The Kings have made some horrendous trades over the years, and it certainly isn't the worst Kings trade of all-time but it's definitely in a good spot in the team picture. Just shows how clueless the previous regime was, trading that much for a slug in a league going towards speed.

And as far as reffing, I am normally the one in here defending the refs, but this playoffs has been the worst I can ever remember for officiating.

Yeah, two calls in game 7's , whether you like them or not effected the outcome of games. and those are the big ones.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are we really back to bemoaning Martin Jones as if that was the difference for this team

It was barely a series ago and an entire regular season as bar none the worst goalie in the league in spite of a division winning team in front of him, they couldn't dump him soon enough

This place is on crazy pills again

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I’m completely over hating on the Sharks these days. My biggest beef with them was losing to them in 2011 without Kopitar, and Thornton doing his thing at center ice. They’ve paid for it tenfold since then, mainly from us. I don’t begrudge them a cup at this point after we eclipsed the entirety of their franchise’s success in a 3 year run. Not rooting for them to win it, but the Kings’ rebuild is underway and I’m out of f***s to give. We’re too terrible right now to have serious rivals.

There arent many players I don’t want to see win a cup. Basically Reeves and Mike Smith. Mission accomplished already with Doan and soon to be Kesler.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Are we really back to bemoaning Martin Jones as if that was the difference for this team

It was barely a series ago and an entire regular season as bar none the worst goalie in the league in spite of a division winning team in front of him, they couldn't dump him soon enough

Jones was far from the worst part of that trade. But it would be the final salt in the wounds if he is between the pipes for a SJ cup win.

And by the time it's all said and done it's just going to be able to be added to all-time bad Kings trades. So when people get mad at how often it's brought up, it's going to be relevant for years. Many of the holes on this team would be less significant if that trade wasn't made.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I still just can’t fathom how people prefer our most significant rival of the past fifteen years winning the Cup to an upstart cocky franchise in their second season. But whatever.

Speaking for myself, I don't prefer that. I prefer that neither team wins. I wasn't rooting for or against either one in the 1st round. If the Sharks get to Game 7 of the Final and lose in OT, that will be great. Rip the heart out even more, and stuff it down their throat. If they get swept by the Blues, it'll be even better.

I would think, at worst, people will shrug if the Sharks win. Who, or how many, are actually pulling for them to win?

You guy do realize that Boston flipped Jones back into our division when DL wanted him moved to the east to prevent sj from getting him, right? Sj success has been because of that deal. **** Boston!

If that was DL's idea, he traded Jones to the wrong team. They already had their own big money #1, like the Kings did, with little or no room to actually sign Jones, who wanted to actually play. DL just wanted Lucic when he became available. Throwing Jones into the deal might've been what got Boston to retain 50%, I have no idea.

NHL trades for 2015-16 - NHL Trade Tracker

Here are the other goalie trades after the 14-15 season. Buffalo picked up Lehner/Legwand for a 1st. Lack went to Carolina for some mid to late round picks. Niemi to Dallas for a 7th. Khudobin to Anaheim. Talbot to Edmonton for picks. That's it for goalie trades until December 2015, when Scrivens got dealt.

Carolina didn't spend too much to get a goalie. Maybe Buffalo would've wanted Jones. The other teams were in the West, and Edm/Ana(although that was a backup move)/SJ specifically in the Pacific. So that's the goalie market at the time, with Jones having leverage, as he was a RFA, and wasn't going to re-sign with the Kings with Quick firmly in place as the #1 guy. Have to keep in mind that DL was trying to win in 15-16, so getting a 1st from Buffalo wouldn't have helped with what DL was trying to do.

Given the lack of teams looking for goaltending, or most of the teams that were looking for a goalie being in the West, and that DL still had winning in mind before Kopitar had to get his raise, what were the options? Jones wasn't going to re-sign, could've taken a $3m offer sheet from SJ, and the Kings couldn't match it since it would've put them at an even greater disadvantage trying to get value for Jones. The Kings would've gotten one random 2nd round pick out of it, as I believe that was the compensation for a $3m RFA offer sheet at the time.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jones was far from the worst part of that trade. But it would be the final salt in the wounds if he is between the pipes for a SJ cup win.

And by the time it's all said and done it's just going to be able to be added to all-time bad Kings trades. So when people get mad at how often it's brought up, it's going to be relevant for years. Many of the holes on this team would be less significant if that trade wasn't made.

Would it really when they were winning in spite of him? He's certainly picked his play up in later rounds but he's far from the difference maker to where we should be upset he's gone.

That would be like being upset if MTL won the cup with Dwight King on the roster.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I’m completely over hating on the Sharks these days. My biggest beef with them was losing to them in 2011 without Kopitar, and Thornton doing his thing at center ice. They’ve paid for it tenfold since then, mainly from us. I don’t begrudge them a cup at this point after we eclipsed the entirety of their franchise’s success in a 3 year run. Not rooting for them to win it, but the Kings’ rebuild is underway and I’m out of ****s to give. We’re too terrible right now to have serious rivals.

There arent many players I don’t want to see win a cup. Basically Reeves and Mike Smith. Mission accomplished already with Doan and soon to be Kesler.

I'm in the same boat, to be frank. Granted, a lot of the fans I've seen post on here are pretty obnoxious, and the "Beat LA" thing is dumb, but with what the Kings have done to them, it's easier to accept them win.

With Vegas, the Kings have done nothing, and thus their fans have all the power of trash talking. Couple that with the obnoxious behaviors I've seen, I just didn't want to give them more fuel.

Though I am still rooting for St. Louis out west.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

No worries Herby, the Stanley Cup winner is coming from the East again.. I was/am rooting for Carolina but Boston looks like the team to beat

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Three weeks ago in their series against Vegas, San Jose fans were bemoaning Jones would be the reason the Sharks would not get past Round 1.

Jones is no savior. He can be solid and have some good stretches, but he isn't Jonathan Quick by a long shot. Jones isn't going to win the Conn Smythe. Here are his stats for the 2019 playoffs through two rounds.

GP GS W L SA GA GAA SV% MIN
141485----399362.72.9100795
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Respectable, but not stellar.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No worries Herby, the Stanley Cup winner is coming from the East again.. I was/am rooting for Carolina but Boston looks like the team to beat
Someone has dug up the corpse of Babe Ruth and burned his bones.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Three weeks ago in their series against Vegas, San Jose fans were bemoaning Jones would be the reason the Sharks would not get past Round 1.

Jones is no savior. He can be solid and have some good stretches, but he isn't Jonathan Quick by a long shot. Jones isn't going to win the Conn Smythe. Here are his stats for the 2019 playoffs through two rounds.

GP GS W L SA GA GAA SV% MIN
141485----399362.72.9100795
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Respectable, but not stellar.

Those kind of numbers in a regular season game in December get Quick sent to Siberia around here.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yep, I don't give an F anymore with the last 4 teams. I'd like the Blues to win because they have the longest drought, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge if the Sharks win. Look, I work from home and on the corner of my home office desk is a replica 2014 Stanley Cup. When I watch TV in my great room, there's a replica 2012 Stanley Cup on a side table. Yeah, the Kings suck right now and likely for a few more years, but we're not cursed. Shit, we're blessed with some of the historic runs we've witnessed.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I respect Carolina for preventing that 2006 Oilers team full of world class pricks from winning. And Boston prevented Vancouver in 2011, if they stop SJ in 2019 I will forever be grateful.

I am ok with St. Louis, they have some likable players, especially Tarasenko. I think it's great with how much talk there has been about some of his countrymen wanting to play in certain markets that he has embraced living and playing in St. Louis so much.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I respect Carolina for preventing that 2006 Oilers team full of world class pricks from winning. And Boston prevented Vancouver in 2011, if they stop SJ in 2019 I will forever be grateful.

I am ok with St. Louis, they have some likable players, especially Tarasenko. I think it's great with how much talk there has been about some of his countrymen wanting to play in certain markets that he has embraced living and playing in St. Louis so much.

STL is the oldest active team to not win a cup and haven’t even made an appearance in the final since 1970....that’s enough for me.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Would it really when they were winning in spite of him? He's certainly picked his play up in later rounds but he's far from the difference maker to where we should be upset he's gone.

That would be like being upset if MTL won the cup with Dwight King on the roster.

at the time the sharks needed a goalie, everyone knew this. They wanted Jones and DL knew this and thought moving him east would work. but as pointed out, he moved him to the wrong team in that awful trade.I bet he didn't even need to throw him in. Jones has made the sharks better, there's no denying it, with their 2nd trip to the wcf with him in net.

And Dwight King would've been a healthy scratch the entire series.:nod:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I normally hate revisionist posts, but I truly think if Vegas made it past the Sharks they were headed back to the Stanley Cup Final. They'll be a force next year, especially if everyone stays healthy and Stone settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad