Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Hopefully it's Anderson/Hogberg with Gust in AHL and Daccord starting ECHL
If anything, it'd be Daccord in AHL and Gus in ECHL. Daccord is a couple years older. I like the idea of letting them both start, but both are way above ECHL level.

The goaltending situation is pretty simple to me. Condon is bought out. Try your best to trade Andy at the draft. If you can, you run Nilsson/Hogberg, if not, you let Nilsson walk and go Anderson/Hogberg.

Daccord/Gustavsson should be the tandem in Belleville regardless.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Gus has not exactly lit it up in Belleville. If daccord outplays him next fall, I hope that he is the starter for the b-sens and that Gus is in Brampton.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It was interesting to hear that Ott controls both Belleville & Brampton so there would be lots of room to keep all the goalies they have especially given they need to get to the cap floor. Somehow I doubt they do that but you never know especially with goalies who is going to come out of this as the clear future #1. This past season saw the goalies move one way & the other due to injuries & I expect the same to happen next season. It gives Ottawa some much needed goalie depth & time to have a good look at these guys as well as an option for the expansion draft.

Anderson - Nilsson - in Ottawa
Condon - Hogberg - in Belleville (Hogberg on a two-way)
Gustavsson - Daccord - in Brampton

I highly doubt Mike Condon plays another game for the organization

What happens in my opinion :

NHL : Anderson/Nilsson + Hogberg
AHL : Gustavsson + Daccord
ECHL : I care?

If they trade Anderson, Nilsson will be signed (or it could be another UFA goalie). If Andy sticks another year then Nilsson is gone.

If they’re smart they sign Nilsson 2 years, trade Andy with 50% retention to get a decent asset.

You can do a lot of stuff when you need to reach the cap floor

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Everyone needs to give up on Nilsson being here next season. He's an expiring contract, Hogberg will 100% be in Ottawa next season - especially with how Groulx was talking about him when interviewed today. They know they have a logjam and will have to give someone a chance. It will most likely be Hogberg given he has somewhat established that he can play at the NHL level (if he had a competent dgroup in front of him, he had no defensive help when he was up). Gustavsson/Daccord should split time in Belleville next season, it should be good to have them each making a case to be the starter down the stretch.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Honestly what do people see in Nilsson. He's big. After that he is ... um Swedish...
He is not a great goalie, he's not even good he should be let go.

Reactions: jehkob

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Honestly what do people see in Nilsson. He's big. After that he is ... um Swedish...

He's probably better than Anderson at this stage. He's also younger and cheaper. He also might actually have an interest in re-signing here too. I don't think anyone loves Nilsson or thinks he's the long-term answer. He just seems like a semi-realistic stopgap until one (or more) of Hogberg/Gustavsson/Daccord is ready.

Reactions: derriko

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And...Nilsson isn't a prospect for us...

However let's remember we don't want to be good next year - we want to show progress, have some hope for 20-21 but our best option is to have a goalie who lets our improving team have some confidence but doesn't win too many games for us.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I see value in him being a stop gap goalie assuming Anderson and Condon are gone. He probably is better next year, could be a trade asset down the road and is more stable health wise. Better Hogberg or Gus have to win starts over him than have them tossed to the wolves when Andy inevitably goes down for 20-30 game.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
He's probably better than Anderson at this stage. He's also younger and cheaper. He also might actually have an interest in re-signing here too. I don't think anyone loves Nilsson or thinks he's the long-term answer. He just seems like a semi-realistic stopgap until one (or more) of Hogberg/Gustavsson/Daccord is ready.

Anderson is the issue though. We wont be able to trade him probably and I dont see a buyout happening. No room left for Neilson who is maybe only a slight upgrade on Andy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I highly doubt Mike Condon plays another game for the organization

What happens in my opinion :

NHL : Anderson/Nilsson + Hogberg
AHL : Gustavsson + Daccord
ECHL : I care?

If they trade Anderson, Nilsson will be signed (or it could be another UFA goalie). If Andy sticks another year then Nilsson is gone.

If they’re smart they sign Nilsson 2 years, trade Andy with 50% retention to get a decent asset.

You can do a lot of stuff when you need to reach the cap floor

Everyone needs to give up on Nilsson being here next season. He's an expiring contract, Hogberg will 100% be in Ottawa next season - especially with how Groulx was talking about him when interviewed today. They know they have a logjam and will have to give someone a chance. It will most likely be Hogberg given he has somewhat established that he can play at the NHL level (if he had a competent dgroup in front of him, he had no defensive help when he was up). Gustavsson/Daccord should split time in Belleville next season, it should be good to have them each making a case to be the starter down the stretch.

I think Andy intends to retire after this year. He does not look like he's having fun out there. I just don't think another team will trade for him given his performance the last two years and he doesn't have any interest in playing for a bottom dweller anymore.

Just a feeling I have but I think Andy walks away.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anderson is the issue though. We wont be able to trade him probably and I dont see a buyout happening. No room left for Neilson who is maybe only a slight upgrade on Andy
A buyout is very likely. He's a 35+ contract so his cap hit would remain at 4.75 but they'd save 2.7M in actual dollars. That helps Eugene spend below the cap. I think that's the most likely scenario with Anderson. Can't see anyone trading for him. We'll probably buyout both he and Condon (amazing job Dorion).

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
A buyout is very likely. He's a 35+ contract so his cap hit would remain at 4.75 but they'd save 2.7M in actual dollars. That helps Eugene spend below the cap. I think that's the most likely scenario with Anderson. Can't see anyone trading for him. We'll probably buyout both he and Condon (amazing job Dorion).
God I just remembered we re-signed Andy to 2 year contract before even the season started.
One of the dumbest moves by Dorion. I can't figure out a single reason to do it. Even with McCormick/Boro signings he could've argued he was gambling on them to break out. But 37 year old goalie?

Reactions: Deku

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think Andy intends to retire after this year. He does not look like he's having fun out there. I just don't think another team will trade for him given his performance the last two years and he doesn't have any interest in playing for a bottom dweller anymore.

Just a feeling I have but I think Andy walks away.
Why would he walk away from 4 Million Dollars?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Anderson was allowed to use his Andersson name, Sens fans would have given him a lot more slack throughout the years....

There's no way Nilsson has been better than Anderson.

He might be the better option going forward for a variety of "asset management" reasons, but right now, Anderson is far and away the better goalie.

Nilsson was much better than Anderson for a small stretch. He has not shown he can consistently keep that up over 20 games let alone the 50-60 Anderson plays.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Why would he walk away from 4 Million Dollars?

I'm not saying he definitely will but he wouldn't be the first to do it.

The dude is probably worth $15-20M. Another 2-3 after taxes isn't gonna change his life much, if at all. Being miserable and getting hurt year after year might though.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Doesn't seem like the Senators style though.

A good soldier, best goalie we have had, showing some leadership by voicing displeasure at direction of internal culture...I think they will retain him and let him retire a Senator on his terms.

That said, everything you have pointed out above makes sense is arguably the proper course of action.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Nillson is the better option moving forward. I really don't see a heck of a lot of value with Anderson other than being an older vet

It doesn't really matter if Nilsson has been better than Anderson this season.
Anderson is one of the leaders of this team, he will be the goalie until his contract expires or if he voluntarily asks for a trade.
Signing Nilsson is pretty much Condon 2.0; although he might be better he's still an older asset.

Reactions: jehkob

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it's not likely that anyone takes on Anderson's $4 mil contract in the off season & it's also unclear whether they will be able to move him leading up to next season's trade deadline or whether he is re-signed to help with the transition or not. It's also unclear whether Nilsson can even be a #1 goalie in this league yet or whether he can play 50 or 60 games in a season, he could be a career backup & never be a starter. I think we'll find out soon enough whether he is re-signed or not leading up to July 1, I imagine a decision on him should have already been made. It's also unclear whether Hogberg can be a backup in this league or if he has #1 potential to be a starter, if Nilsson is allowed to walk & it's entirely possible, than we know the decision has been made to go with probably Hogberg. I do wonder if they would keep all the goalies as insurance & to help reach the cap floor?

The only thing that is clear is that the other two prospect goalies are still too young & inexperienced & not yet ready for prime time, I expect they should both be playing in the minors next season & maybe one gets called up as an injury replacement during the yr. The other thing that is unclear is what they do with Condon, whether he has any value in a trade (I doubt it) or whether they buy him out or whether they keep him in Belleville as insurance if Anderson or Hogberg get injured since he does have NHL experience. It would certainly be a huge surprise to everyone if Condon gets the backup job again for next season in the last yr of his contract, but we can't rule that out either at this point. So decisions need to be made on four of the goalies as to exactly what they do with them leading into next season.

Ott - Anderson
Limbo - Nilsson/Hogberg/Condon
Minors - Gustavsson/Daccord
Junior - Mandolese

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Since there's probably zero interest in Andy around the league I'd say he's almost guaranteed to return next season. And with Hogberg being 24 you'd really think now is the time to prove whether he can handle the NHL or not. Let Nilsson walk, fire Condon into the sun. Seems the natural progression to me.

NHL - Andy / Hogberg
AHL - Gus / Daccord

Reactions: DrEasy and jehkob

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If money was the only issue, it shouldn't be difficult to retain on Anderson. He's got 1 year left.

The Sens retained salary on Phaneuf. Anderson only has 1 year left.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a market for Anderson in some form. The upcoming crop of UFA goalies isn't great, and for a team in a certain spot, there'd be value in getting an expiring contract rather than having to commit term to a goalie. (For example, PHI if they wanted a veteran to take pressure off of Hart or to deploy if there are any growing pains in his sophomore season.)

I don't think we get a big return for Anderson, but I'd be surprised to find out there's no market for him.

It doesn't really matter if Nilsson has been better than Anderson this season.
Anderson is one of the leaders of this team, he will be the goalie until his contract expires or if he voluntarily asks for a trade.
Signing Nilsson is pretty much Condon 2.0; although he might be better he's still an older asset.

I don't think it's fair to say that Nilsson has been better than Anderson. He was better during his first half here, but he's significantly slowed down the last dozen or so games.

I don't even think term or AAV is a major issue at this point when it comes to Nilsson because there's so little money (relatively speaking) on the books the next 2-3 years, another Condon/Hammond type contract isn't going to have many consequences. I think the issue isn't what is the appropriate AAV/term to give Nilsson, I think the issue is who are the right two goalies to keep out of Anderson/Nilsson/Hogberg?

I have no issue with the Senators giving Nilsson term, especially if they decide he has more upside than Hogberg. I haven't seen Hogberg in the AHL. I don't know who is better. Nilsson's bad numbers might be a good thing for Ottawa, because if they decide to go with Nilsson, it should lower the amount of competition they'll face from other teams to lock him down. When Condon was a UFA, there was a lot of interest.

It's all small sample sizes, so it's all very reactive, but I think where as when Nilsson first came here a lot of people were looking at it like Nilsson vs Anderson, I think it's shifted more to being Nilsson vs Hogberg. If the motive of the team is not to tank and not to try and become the Oilers 2.0, then I can see them going with Anderson and their choice of Nilsson or Hogberg (if Nilsson stays) and then possibly flipping Anderson closer to the deadline if the team is out of a playoff spot. (While anything can happen, and I would love for this team to win, I assume it is a yes that they'll be out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig