Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Why not?
But crookshank was looking better so far for example. No?
I admit to not knowing much about our prospects, but I didn’t get a sense that anyone was particularily enamoured with him. IIRC, there was urgency around D’Accord, but virtually no one flagged him as a potential signing. Maybe because he’s leaving school early?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I didn’t think Gruden was anything special, so not sure why the signing.

Did you watch him in the NCAA? Anybody else did? A bit harder to have a good grasp on college prospects but if someone saw him play at that level, it'd be good to hear some comments.

His production is decent for a young freshman (he only turns 19 y/o in May), 15 points in 38 games

Shane Bowers (sophomore, turns 20 in July) 21 pts in 37 games
Jakov Novak (20 y/o) 15 pts in 37 games
Angus Crookshank (19 y/o) 23 pts in 36 games
Ryan Dzingel had 24 pts in 33 games as a freshman (19 y/o)
Max Veronneau had 17 pts in 30 games (and was already 20 y/o)
Josh Norris had 23 pts in 37 games (18 y/o)
Brady Tkachuk had 31 pts in 40 games (18 y/o) and ONLY 8 GOALS :laugh:
Colin White was the most impressive with 43 pts in 37 games (18 to 19 y/o)
Actually, Brian Gibbons had intriguing numbers too (but was 19 y/o) with 35 pts in 43 games.

Anyway, I thought Gruden would stay in college longer, ala Dzingel, does anyone know why he's leaving college already? It's surely not because he's NHL ready

I admit to not knowing much about our prospects, but I didn’t get a sense that anyone was particularily enamoured with him. IIRC, there was urgency around D’Accord, but virtually no one flagged him as a potential signing. Maybe because he’s leaving school early?

The prospect pool and youth has never been better and deeper, so of course prospects like Gruden and Crookshank won't get talked about much. Heck, even guys like Chlapik are left alone a bit. So I guess you answered my question in the quote above.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I can see Andy traded for luongo and luongo goes ltir. Andy in Florida, and ltir contract returned....

Not sure if we’d get an asset back or not

Doesn't Andy's family live in Florida? That might actually perfect for all parties involved.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why not?
But crookshank was looking better so far for example. No?

Maybe Gruden wanted out of Miami... and discussed with Sens.. He could end up in the CHL; London (who else) owns his rights. Crookshank should go back for his 2nd year

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
The question is why sign him now. He didn't have to sign a contract to go to CHL.
As if he had any leverage and is doing Senators a favor.
Jeremy Bracco left Boston College for Kitchener and signed his contract only 1.5 years later. And Bracco was a much better prospect than Gruden.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The question is why sign him now. He didn't have to sign a contract to go to CHL.
As if he had any leverage and is doing Senators a favor.

Not sure .. but they can slide it.. not sure of the downside if they believe in him as a player

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe Gruden wanted out of Miami... and discussed with Sens.. He could end up in the CHL; London (who else) owns his rights. Crookshank should go back for his 2nd year

It could be the opposite.

Maybe we wanted him to go to the OHL for his development, but he was only willing to lose his college eligibility if he was given his ELC (signing bonuses, security).

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Maybe the Sens want him to build value playing on the Knights increasing his trade value without prospect logjam.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would be nice is following another likely horrific season (next one) we can include Quinton Byfield in this thread. I’m even higher on him than Lafreniere.
At the Ottawa game. Byfield extremely quiet. First game I’ve seen of him.

Rossi oozes talent everytime hes on the ice for Ottawa.

Reactions: DrEasy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
At the Ottawa game. Byfield extremely quiet. First game I’ve seen of him.

Rossi oozes talent everytime hes on the ice for Ottawa.

Agreed it was a quiet game for him. But as someone who watched the Wolves a lot more than the Sens this year, he's definitely the real deal. This is his first year in the playoffs, and while the Wolves are a great team this year, the 67's are a much better team than Mississauga was. I dont expect Sudbury to get through them, tbh.

And hes still 16 years old until August, so hopefully for anyone thats watching him play under a magnifying class will try to keep that in mind. Expect to see him absolutely torch the OHL next year though. Hes just too big, fast and skilled not too.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agreed it was a quiet game for him. But as someone who watched the Wolves a lot more than the Sens this year, he's definitely the real deal. This is his first year in the playoffs, and while the Wolves are a great team this year, the 67's are a much better team than Mississauga was. I dont expect Sudbury to get through them, tbh.

And hes still 16 years old until August, so hopefully for anyone thats watching him play under a magnifying class will try to keep that in mind. Expect to see him absolutely torch the OHL next year though. Hes just too big, fast and skilled not too.

His goals are on par with McDavid's D-1 year. He had less assists.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Formenton is having an excellent playoffs so far. 14 pts in 7 games... 2nd on his team and tied for 2nd in the league (behind Bouchard and tied with Tippett while hving played 1 more game)...

After not showing a ton of progress offensively this yr, which I do think was partially explained by his injury, it is nice to see him thriving when it matters most

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Is Formenton turning into a playmaker rather than a goalscorer his 14 points are made up of 2 goals and 12 assists
He leads London in shots, so probably not. With 2 goals on 27 shots his shooting percentage is below average (i.e. unlucky) and he should've had a couple more goals with average luck by now.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2018 - Chabot, Tkachuk & White have all had a very good season.
2019 - I expect that Brown, Batherson & Wolanin to have a good yr next season.
2020 - I expect that Formenton, Norris & Brannstrom to have a good season the following yr.
2021 - I expect that at least one high 2019 draft pick & one of the 2020 draft picks should be in the NHL & hopefully playing well. I also expect that JBD could be challenging for a roster spot this season.

If Ottawa is lucky they should be able to have about three new players on the roster every yr over the next few yrs who hopefully turn into very good players for them & hopefully a number of good secondary players too. The draftsite has Ott taking three players I would like to see them draft but the only time Ott has ever drafted a player I wanted them to was last yr when they drafted Tkachuk. This yr I would like to see them draft Raphael Lavoie C with their 1st, Brett Leason RW with their first 2nd rd pick & Ethan Keppen LW with their second 2nd rd pick. I would also like to see them make a deal to acquire Moritz Seider RD or Arthur Kaliyev LW/RW in this draft, they certainly have enough assets to do it.

Paul - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Lavoie
Formenton - Norris - Leason
Keppen - Byfield - Nurmi

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Jaros
Harpur - Seider

Hogberg - Gustavsson/Daccord

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On the "former Sens prospect watch", Chris Driedger is having a decent year for the Springfield Thunderbirds in the AHL. He has a GAA of 2.52, pretty good in that league, and a winning record. I have always feared that he was going to come back in here at age 27, playing as an emergency call up for someone, and pitch a shutout on us. I think we gave up on him too soon TBH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad