Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
World Juniors or not, I really hope Forms is ok. Hate to see a knee injury on a guy that has that world class speed.
Not being able to put any weight on it is not a good sign. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Tkachuk, Lajoie & surprisingly Jaros told to find a place it pretty much guarantees they are permanently on the team now. If we include Chabot who is still quite young that gives Ottawa 6 prospects (Tkachuk, White, Lajoie, Harpur, Jaros & Chabot) playing this yr & I expect that Paul, Batherson & Formenton to be on the team permanently by this time next season. And then there is Wolanin, Brown, Chlapik, Hogberg, Gustavsson & Balcers in Belleville just waiting their turn & Daccord, Norris, JBD & Nurmi coming. That's a lot of good young prospects & hopefully they have a couple more surprises too.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
NOOOOOO WE NEED CAPTAIN FORMY ON THE TEAM.

How did JBD do.

Was very, very good. It was my first time watching him for a whole game, and it's his defensive game that impressed me most. We already know he can put up points.

He isn't playing tonight, but I imagine he'll get in the final game tomorrow. Still probably won't make the team though, just too many things working against him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Unfortunate about Formenton, but luckily it's still 2 weeks to the tournament. If it's not too serious he could still play.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If Format is out of the tournament but downstairs have long term sequelae from this, I'm Ok

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Was very, very good. It was my first time watching him for a whole game, and it's his defensive game that impressed me most. We already know he can put up points.

He isn't playing tonight, but I imagine he'll get in the final game tomorrow. Still probably won't make the team though, just too many things working against him.

I don't know, I wouldn't count him out (not that you did or anything). I can see a strong case for him as the #7. Top 6 are mostly locked up, especially on the right side, but if they go with 4RD I think he has the inside track.

And, five mins after typing this, Addison and Crotty are cut. The only remaining RD are Dobson, Bouchard, Mitchell and JBD.

If Format is out of the tournament but downstairs have long term sequelae from this, I'm Ok

My exact thoughts (actually though).

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know, I wouldn't count him out (not that you did or anything). I can see a strong case for him as the #7. Top 6 are mostly locked up, especially on the right side, but if they go with 4RD I think he has the inside track.

And, five mins after typing this, Addison and Crotty are cut. The only remaining RD are Dobson, Bouchard, Mitchell and JBD.

My exact thoughts (actually though).
jbd playing for his life tonight then...televised?

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
With Tkachuk, Lajoie & surprisingly Jaros told to find a place it pretty much guarantees they are permanently on the team now. If we include Chabot who is still quite young that gives Ottawa 6 prospects (Tkachuk, White, Lajoie, Harpur, Jaros & Chabot) playing this yr & I expect that Paul, Batherson & Formenton to be on the team permanently by this time next season. And then there is Wolanin, Brown, Chlapik, Hogberg, Gustavsson & Balcers in Belleville just waiting their turn & Daccord, Norris, JBD & Nurmi coming. That's a lot of good young prospects & hopefully they have a couple more surprises too.

not all of those guys will pan out but you're right, plenty of young talent there.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Dorion saying 'the rebuild is ahead of schedule' is exactly why this team is in trouble and the fan base constantly untrusting of management. Why oversell every single ,hockey team you assemble. Murray once said of one of his teams that was out of the playoffs and grieving up 40 shots a night playing ugly hockey 'we are an elite team'. it's an organizational blind spot they need to fix because it makes them look ridiculis and the fans are sitting there thinking 'we are getting outplayed every night by every team, it's ugly hockey, we are 23rd overall in the NHL, 31 in GA, 29th in Goal diffenrstial, Stoen, Duch, Dzingel and Ceci all aren't singing extensions and want out, the goalie who the fanbase gave its heart to asked for a trade, the coach seems uneasy these days - but we are ahead of schedule!!!!, what schedule'

What did Dorion expect if this is ahead of schedule???

Dorion I know you are listening Instead of 'we are ahead of schedule which is good' say this 'we are right on track and that's a good thing because we have a plan that we believe in. Some surprises for the good and some for the bad, but we expected that and we are happy with where we are at.'

The difference in these 2 statements is the first one is hopeful - but what are you ahead of? what is the plan? are you crazy to tell me you are ahead of Schedule after the last 2 games I watched, all the rookies are slowing down and although I enjoy the kids, I can't see any of them being ahead of schedule, on Schedule maybe, but not ahead of schule'

The other statement is measured, it show a definitive plan and a steady hand that won't be fooled by hope or nepotism., it admits you've seen some positives and negatives (like the fanbase has) and you are on top of it so you aren't overestimating or blindly hoping it works out. You are selling a steady hand and an organization that is honesy with itseld and its fans.

Next thing you know they'll be telling us th Tuesday night games were sellouts.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
not all of those guys will pan out but you're right, plenty of young talent there.

Problem is as long as ownership doesn't change (so the financial state of the team) and the right coaching staff isn't hired, they will not seize the opportunity to build a contender or at least very competitive team.

Stone (26)
Duchene (27)
Tkachuk (19)
Batherson (20)
Brown (20)
White (21)
Dzingel (26)
Chlapik (21)
Norris (19)
Balcers (21)
Formenton (19)
Pageau (26)
Nurmi (20)
Crookshank (19)

Chabot (24)
Bernard-Docker (18)
Wolanin (23)
Jaros (22)
Lajoie (21)
Ceci (24)
Tychonick (18)
DeMelo (25)

Gustavsson (20)
Hogberg (24)
Daccord (22)

It should be hard to NOT build a very good team with all that talent but I'm sure they can do it!

Even as soon as this year, Hitchcock might not be popular but it would have made the team much better already

Coaching and goaltending are 2 of the most important factors in the NHL (with overall speed, skill, chemistry and strength). You can always improve in every facet but without the right coaching and very solid goaltending you cannot compete in this league.

Need to :

- extend Stone and Duchene long-term.
- get the best assets possible for Dzingel and Ceci?
- hire the best "modern" coaching staff possible
- Get a solid goalie with a bit of experience to give more developing time for Gustvasson (Raanta, Hutton or Grubauer level)
- Get a solid D-man with experience, not too old and with his best quality being a rock defensively (like a prime Methot)

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

Don't forget Josh Brook. He's a righty playing the left side, and that's one of the problems JBD is facing. Assuming Brook, Dobson, Bouchard and Mitchell all make the team, that's already 4 RHD. Bringing Bernard-Docker as the 7th would mean they carry 5 RHD and 2 LHD. Not sure Team Canada would want to do that. Still got my fingers crossed, but I figure they'll bring a LHD as the 7th, just as insurance.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Don't forget Josh Brook. He's a righty playing the left side, and that's one of the problems JBD is facing. Assuming Brook, Dobson, Bouchard and Mitchell all make the team, that's already 4 RHD. Bringing Bernard-Docker as the 7th would mean they carry 5 RHD and 2 LHD. Not sure Team Canada would want to do that. Still got my fingers crossed, but I figure they'll bring a LHD as the 7th, just as insurance.

Very good point.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dorion saying 'the rebuild is ahead of schedule' is exactly why this team is in trouble and the fan base constantly untrusting of management. Why oversell every single ,hockey team you assemble. Murray once said of one of his teams that was out of the playoffs and grieving up 40 shots a night playing ugly hockey 'we are an elite team'. it's an organizational blind spot they need to fix because it makes them look ridiculis and the fans are sitting there thinking 'we are getting outplayed every night by every team, it's ugly hockey, we are 23rd overall in the NHL, 31 in GA, 29th in Goal diffenrstial, Stoen, Duch, Dzingel and Ceci all aren't singing extensions and want out, the goalie who the fanbase gave its heart to asked for a trade, the coach seems uneasy these days - but we are ahead of schedule!!!!, what schedule'.

The most a Murray team (so from 2007-08 to 2015-16) gave up in SA/GP was 34.7 in 2013-14, but they were playing high event hockey and shooting a lot as well (32.8 SF/GP). The second worst SA/GP was in 2015-16 with 32.8 SA/GP.

This year, reality is closer to your statement with 38.2 SA/GP (but only 29.4 SF/GP). Last year in 2017-18, 33.1 SA/GP

NHL.com - Stats

Only once did a Murray team allowed more than 3 goals per game, in 2013-14 with 3.15 GA/GP

This year it's 3.91 GA/GP and 3.46 GA/GP in 2017-18.

Even in SAT 5 on 5, Murray teams was in the positive most years :

2013-14 : + 364
2011-12 : + 340
2012-13 : + 318
2009-10 : + 275
2014-15 : + 33
2010-11 : - 14
2015-16 : - 370

Under Dorion :

2016-17 : - 212
2017-18 : - 434
2018-19 : - 457

I don't know if you see the differences so no it hasn't been an "organizational blind spot" as long as you seem to imply, the team under Murray wasn't elite but competitive pretty much every year, really not like we have seen the last 2 seasons. Even the first year under Dorion, IMO most of the credit should go to Murray as it was the team he has built, that Dorion has been slowly destructing since. Of course the ownership factor is big in Ottawa and makes the job of the GM very hard, but Murray had to deal with it too but dealt with it better than Dorion (just more experience and management ability).

Finally, obviously, the job of a team and its GM is to sell the product so the customers buy tickets, merchandise and even follow the team more on TV, internet and radio. Even if they know their team won't win Cup or even just make the playoffs, you won't hear them say "well the team sucks so we'll see when we'll be competitive again, could take years", particularly in a smaller/weaker market, that's just not realistic. A sports team always have to sell hope.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dorion saying 'the rebuild is ahead of schedule' is exactly why this team is in trouble and the fan base constantly untrusting of management. Why oversell every single ,hockey team you assemble. Murray once said of one of his teams that was out of the playoffs and grieving up 40 shots a night playing ugly hockey 'we are an elite team'. it's an organizational blind spot they need to fix because it makes them look ridiculis and the fans are sitting there thinking 'we are getting outplayed every night by every team, it's ugly hockey, we are 23rd overall in the NHL, 31 in GA, 29th in Goal diffenrstial, Stoen, Duch, Dzingel and Ceci all aren't singing extensions and want out, the goalie who the fanbase gave its heart to asked for a trade, the coach seems uneasy these days - but we are ahead of schedule!!!!, what schedule'

What did Dorion expect if this is ahead of schedule???

Dorion I know you are listening Instead of 'we are ahead of schedule which is good' say this 'we are right on track and that's a good thing because we have a plan that we believe in. Some surprises for the good and some for the bad, but we expected that and we are happy with where we are at.'

The difference in these 2 statements is the first one is hopeful - but what are you ahead of? what is the plan? are you crazy to tell me you are ahead of Schedule after the last 2 games I watched, all the rookies are slowing down and although I enjoy the kids, I can't see any of them being ahead of schedule, on Schedule maybe, but not ahead of schule'

The other statement is measured, it show a definitive plan and a steady hand that won't be fooled by hope or nepotism., it admits you've seen some positives and negatives (like the fanbase has) and you are on top of it so you aren't overestimating or blindly hoping it works out. You are selling a steady hand and an organization that is honesy with itseld and its fans.

Next thing you know they'll be telling us th Tuesday night games were sellouts.
Wow, that's a lot of doom & gloom. Hockey is a sport played for entertainment purposes, it should not be taken so seriously & make people as angry as this especially for a long extended time, it's not healthy. This hockey team is a business & every business does their utmost to show their business in a good light & is constantly advertising the good points of their business to sell tickets to stay in business. That should not be a surprise & I don't see this franchise as being any different. They certainly are not going to tell us how bad things are if they are looking to sell out as this team needs to do. Ahead of schedule means getting better & hopefully be challenging for a playoff spot soon, not this yr, maybe not next yr but soon. Rebuilds can take a few yrs even for the centre of the universe to be competitive again it took yrs & a lottery win. They are selling hope that this group of young players they are assembling at some point in future will be a contender again, that is what they are selling. They can't go back in time & re-sign EK or not make the trade, it's done, they now have to sell the future & they are lucky to have a number of good young players to market.

We all have a grudge with this dickhead owner & blame him for most of what has gone wrong with this team but those of us who would prefer to talk hockey & much less about the business side of things can see some progression with this team. I assume that there are still some that are sore for EK being traded & can't get over it & this is what I think you are venting about here. No one knew what we had in some of these prospects a yr ago & some of them have really surprised the fan base in a positive way. And this has nothing to do with the owner or the infamous trade.

Chabot at 21 yrs old is tied in scoring for all defencemen in the NHL & has to be considered ahead of schedule. If it was EK a lot of people on here including you would be praising him for it right now, how great he is & on his way to another Norris, but Chabot is doing it at 21. That has to be considered ahead of schedule. Colin White is also only 21 yrs old & is now playing a prominent part on this team centering two of the best forwards on the team in Stone & Tkachuk. He is playing in numerous situations all over the ice including taking important faceoffs & seems to have taken a giant step forward over the last month. That IMO is also ahead of schedule.

Tkachuk at 19 yrs old made the team out of camp & from day 1 has become a sensation second to Pettersson in the Calder rookie race playing better than so many thought he ever could. They are not a great team every night & they do get out shot a lot but for a while they were also near the top of the league in pts for & a lot of nights they are at the least competitive. The scoring has dried up lately but that is what you get with a young team & inconsistencies, that could change in the new yr. Some people are a cup half empty & some are a cup half full, most praise the team when they do something they like & most complain when they do something they don't like. Lajoie had a very good start to his season & looks promising, so does Jaros, they are not there yet but they too are very young & should only get better. Batherson is another very young player who looked great when he was first called up but since Duchene went down hasn't done much & probably should be returned to Belleville to get his game in order.

These guys & a number of other prospects playing well in other leagues marks a substantial improvement in the organization's depth chart & bodes well for the future whether you care to believe it or not, some of us do. That is not to say that some of us don't want changes in management, a lot of us do, but it's not something we can do anything about, it's not our call. Ottawa has a two professional sports franchises in this city, people can choose whether to support them or not & you can choose whether you like these young players or not. We can also choose to believe whether or not they re-sign Stone, Duchene, Dzingel & Ceci, maybe they re-sign them all, maybe just a couple of them, maybe none of them, but until that happens we just don't know & the rest of it is just opinion & speculation.

This is a business, they have to over sell their product, every company tells that their product is new & improved, this is not new. In order to attract more ticket buying fans who hopefully could care less about all the other stuff that surrounds the team & just wants to go to a game they over sell the product. When have you ever heard, don't buy that washing machine it sucks & the owner is a dickhead & management doesn't know what it is doing & we don't know if you will get parts for it, they might move or shut down, so you shouldn't buy it. Every business over sells their product.

I'm not trying to sugar coat things, this franchise looks like a mess from the outside & the owner takes full blame for that & the management team seems to also be in disarray at times. But the play of their young players & corner stone players have at times been fun to watch this yr & at the least gives us some hope for the future of the team, if they can get through all this crap or even better if this owner sells. Unlike you, I expect Duchene & Stone to be re-signed, the rest of it, who knows? Wait & see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad