2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I'm not too worried about Galchenyuk. Max Domi is killing and Montreal, that's the only reason why Alex is under the microscope. He's got more than respectable numbers given the amount of games he's played. Even Keller is struggling.

We just had a really tough stretch of games against some really good teams and we were mostly unhealthy the entire time. It's tough to build momentum when your team is not intact.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Why should we not put Strome with Keller and another skilled winger like Hinostroza or Perlini? Maybe even Grabner? Keller is our most skilled forward who has been struggling, could use a center that wins more draws and possesses a little more creativity than our other centers. He has a tendency to slow down the game anyway, might be perfect. Strome and Perlini either need a shot in the ass to stay with the team, or at least be showcased for a better return.

We would accomplish finally getting a longer look at Strome with better linemates which should honestly be given AT LEAST a ten game experiment. If it doesn't work out, we will at least know that Strome won't work. Work here, anyway.

I keep fluctuating feelings on this speculation. I really want to see Strome make it happen, just don't have the faith that he will.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm just so sick of selling low. Go down with the ship if they have to, just stop f***ing selling low! I'd rather Strome straight bust and not get shit for him than ship him to some other team for some average run of the mill "plays the right way" player that can be had every single off season from now until oblivion.

STOP SELLING LOW GOD DAMMIT!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We went like 6-2-1 with Galchenyuk in the lineup before Raanta went down. Overall Galchenyuk has been good. I think there's more to come.
Raanta is Raanta so far, looks good, on a 40 game pace, thats a problem but we shouldn't be surprised.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why should we not put Strome with Keller and another skilled winger like Hinostroza or Perlini? Maybe even Grabner? Keller is our most skilled forward who has been struggling, could use a center that wins more draws and possesses a little more creativity than our other centers. He has a tendency to slow down the game anyway, might be perfect. Strome and Perlini either need a shot in the ass to stay with the team, or at least be showcased for a better return.

We would accomplish finally getting a longer look at Strome with better linemates which should honestly be given AT LEAST a ten game experiment. If it doesn't work out, we will at least know that Strome won't work. Work here, anyway.

I keep fluctuating feelings on this speculation. I really want to see Strome make it happen, just don't have the faith that he will.
Strome/Keller/Perlini would be stuck in their own zone 80% of the time. We would get killed on D, thats why they won't all play together 5 on 5.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I'm just so sick of selling low. Go down with the ship if they have to, just stop ****ing selling low! I'd rather Strome straight bust and not get **** for him than ship him to some other team for some average run of the mill "plays the right way" player that can be had every single off season from now until oblivion.

STOP SELLING LOW GOD DAMMIT!
Couldn't agree more. If he's gonna be a impact player in the NHL it should be in AZ. If not, book a flight PHX - Moscow in 2 years.

I still have faith in the player, it's easy to forget he's just had about 40 games in the NHL. He'll mature (mentally and physically) and gain confidence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The game against the Bruins I thought his line played well but only got some thing like 8 min. TOI. Maybe I missed something I don't know, but getting so few minutes is hard because you don't have your legs when called upon. Strome is also on the second PP, so again, how do you expect him or any other player for that matter, to have his legs when you are sitting for so long. You sit there for so long, and then get a tap on your should and told to go get em.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta is Raanta so far, looks good, on a 40 game pace, thats a problem but we shouldn't be surprised.

All this talk about Raanta's off season taining is just that. His injuries have to be a real concern for the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome/Keller/Perlini would be stuck in their own zone 80% of the time. We would get killed on D, thats why they won't all play together 5 on 5.

You have been saying this since the cows come home. How do we know this will happen? I posted some stats somewhere on Strome and he has the best FO% on the team. I think the fourth best possession % among forwards, and the opposition scores the least when he is on the ice. We are 29th in goal scoring. Strome likes to, and can pass, and Keller likes to, and can shoot. What can it hurt?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What is the plan with this organization? We can't sign big time free agents. You can't be a contender in this league with a bunch of average, defensively responsible players. So the only way for them to get ahead is through the draft and player development. Problem is we've had no luck in the lottery and seem to have no flexibility in developing players. If the player doesn't fit the exact mold they want and is easy to coach, they are banished to the 4th line and/or given up on. This simply can't happen. There needs to be a shift in philosophy. Was Max Domi not getting the proper support/development? Did he really want to leave? Either of these things is an organization issue. They need to find the root of the problem and fix it fast.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

This is what I keep thinking as well. We've given almost everybody on the team a chance on the 1st line except Strome, so can we at least give him 1 game?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
What is the plan with this organization? We can't sign big time free agents. You can't be a contender in this league with a bunch of average, defensively responsible players. So the only way for them to get ahead is through the draft and player development. Problem is we've had no luck in the lottery and seem to have no flexibility in developing players. If the player doesn't fit the exact mold they want and is easy to coach, they are banished to the 4th line and/or given up on. This simply can't happen. There needs to be a shift in philosophy. Was Max Domi not getting the proper support/development? Did he really want to leave? Either of these things is an organization issue. They need to find the root of the problem and fix it fast.
Yup, the last team to win the cup without game-breakers is the Bruins. Hopefully, Keller can develop into one but we still lack a center. last 5 years we saw Towes, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, and Kopitar. I was hoping Strome would be our Thornton but that seems less likely by the day

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

The Jets on the other hand have been absolutely strict about keeping their drafted talent.

Trouba wants out - Sorry kid, better wait til UFA. In the meantime what can we do to help? Why don't we move your bro here and give him a front office job.

EKane wants out - Sorry kid, you signed the contract.

Burmistrov regresses - Give him a few more years, try him in different scenarios. Search for that upside until it's gone.

This strict approach doesn't always work. The EKane situation blew up but at least the trade return was good. Burmistrov fizzled and the team got nothing out of it. The Trouba situation hasn't ended yet... he's giving g them top pair results on the ice but he might end up walking with no return.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I have to agree with putting Strome and Keller together. Strome is one of the best passers on the team already and is a more natural center. Galchenyuk doesn't seem to fit the mold of a set-up kind of center which is what Keller needs to succeed. The past few games Keller has gotten a few chances where he finds the open ice and gets a pass for a great scoring chance. I think the only way you're going to see Keller score more is if he's got some one who can get him the puck better, and the only two centers capable of that are Stepan and Strome.

It might also be that Galchenyuk needs more games until he's really ready at center. I suppose that is fair, but as it looks now, I think a line of Keller-Strome-Galchenyuk would be our best shot at getting some goals. Galchenyuk has the threat of his shot and Keller seems to always find open ice. Put those together with some one who can actually pass and teams can't defend one as closely as we see Keller guarded of late. As an aside, Keller has drawn or should have drawn so many penalties of late even if he's not scoring.

As for defense with these guys on the ice - the goal is to maintain possession and limit how much they're playing defense, so shelter them with offensive starts if need be. Besides, Strome has like 30 games played in the NHL, so errors are expected.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys, I was wondering with the injuries on defense, if Arizona may look to swap someone like Demers (yes I know he is injured). The Rangers have Brendan Smith who has looked good this year. He's a 4/5 defensive d-man who can play both sides. His conditioning is back on track for sure. In saying that, the Rangers have a need to mitigate some of their log-jam on the back-end moving forward.

Smith is signed for this year and 2 more, same as Demers. His cap hit is $4.35m. Salary this year is $4.525m, next year is $4.525m and final year of $3.35m (average salary is $4.133m).

Smith has mainly played LD with the Rangers which is a major log-jam area this year and moving forward. Skjei, Staal, Claesson, Rykov, Bigras, Gilmour, Hajek, Miller, Lundquist are all LD's. The Rangers don't have much depth outside of what is on their NHL roster at RD which is Shattenkirk, ADA, Pionk and McQuaid (to be dealt at the deadline).

Demers has a lower cap hit and is most likely out this entire season (which actually helps the Rangers get more playing time for their guys currently). Perhaps, considering the Rangers are taking a player who isn't playing again this year, someone like Crouse could be included? That would also open up a contract spot (Arizona is at 50 contracts) in case they want to add at the deadline

So the deal would be:

To ARI:
Brendan Smith

To NYR:
Jason Demers (IR) + Lawson Crouse

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hey guys, I was wondering with the injuries on defense, if Arizona may look to swap someone like Demers (yes I know he is injured). The Rangers have Brendan Smith who has looked good this year. He's a 4/5 defensive d-man who can play both sides. His conditioning is back on track for sure. In saying that, the Rangers have a need to mitigate some of their log-jam on the back-end moving forward.

Smith is signed for this year and 2 more, same as Demers. His cap hit is $4.35m. Salary this year is $4.525m, next year is $4.525m and final year of $3.35m (average salary is $4.133m).

Smith has mainly played LD with the Rangers which is a major log-jam area this year and moving forward. Skjei, Staal, Claesson, Rykov, Bigras, Gilmour, Hajek, Miller, Lundquist are all LD's. The Rangers don't have much depth outside of what is on their NHL roster at RD which is Shattenkirk, ADA, Pionk and McQuaid (to be dealt at the deadline).

Demers has a lower cap hit and is most likely out this entire season (which actually helps the Rangers get more playing time for their guys currently). Perhaps, considering the Rangers are taking a player who isn't playing again this year, someone like Crouse could be included? That would also open up a contract spot (Arizona is at 50 contracts) in case they want to add at the deadline

So the deal would be:

To ARI:
Brendan Smith

To NYR:
Jason Demers (IR) + Lawson Crouse
I wouldn’t trade a 7th round pick for Brendan Smith if you added your 2nd round pick to the deal. Smith is a terrible hockey player with an awful contract.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wouldn’t trade a 7th round pick for Brendan Smith if you added your 2nd round pick to the deal. Smith is a terrible hockey player with an awful contract.

This year he has been actually more like he was when he was added at he deadline. Like I said, he isn't more than a 4/5 but he is far from 'terrible'

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I kind of want to swap Strome for Kevin Hayes and move Chucky back to wing. They’ll give him some more time with it I’m sure but I just think our line combos might be better with him on the wing.

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Galchenyuk-Hayes-Hinostroza
Grabner-Richardson-Fischer
Crouse-Cousins-Perlini

Can almost guarantee that those lines would be putting up more points and generating more sustained zone time than what they’ve been rolling out there lately.

rt

May 13, 2004
I kind of want to swap Strome for Kevin Hayes and move Chucky back to wing. They’ll give him some more time with it I’m sure but I just think our line combos might be better with him on the wing.

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Galchenyuk-Hayes-Hinostroza
Grabner-Richardson-Fischer
Crouse-Cousins-Perlini

Can almost guarantee that those lines would be putting up more points and generating more sustained zone time than what they’ve been rolling out there lately.
Love Hayes. We’d really have to overpay him to get him to sign here, though. He’s got no reason to forego his crack at UFA just to sign in Arizona.

The only way to motivate him to not even test the UFA waters this summer is to give him a really big contract with lockout proof bonuses and movement clauses.

The rumors swirling about what Duchene and Panarin are looking for are going to drive up every pending UFA asking price. They want 10-11m. The next tier down is also going to want to be overpaid by 20% or more.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable trading away a piece like Strome with no guarantee Hayes won’t just walk. There’s no way to get that guarantee without giving him a blank check.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Love Hayes. We’d really have to overpay him to get him to sign here, though. He’s got no reason to forego his crack at UFA just to sign in Arizona.

The only way to motivate him to not even test the UFA waters this summer is to give him a really big contract with lockout proof bonuses and movement clauses.

The rumors swirling about what Duchene and Panarin are looking for are going to drive up every pending UFA asking price. They want 10-11m. The next tier down is also going to want to be overpaid by 20% or more.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable trading away a piece like Strome with no guarantee Hayes won’t just walk. There’s no way to get that guarantee without giving him a blank check.

Yeah maybe. Chayka has proven to be pretty persuasive and good at selling his vision and what we have here though. I think if he looked at our roster, all the young talent we have and all the American players we have, he would probably be excited about joining the group. Money wise even if thet did have to slightly overly for him they could afford it easily next year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah maybe. Chayka has proven to be pretty persuasive and good at selling his vision and what we have here though. I think if he looked at our roster, all the young talent we have and all the American players we have, he would probably be excited about joining the group. Money wise even if thet did have to slightly overly for him they could afford it easily next year.
None of that helps us before the trade is finalized. I’m not okay with trading Strome for a guy who’s going to walk this summer and we miss the playoffs anyway.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I personally never really rated Perlini that high to begin with. Calling him a streaky player is actually underselling it, the guy is just far too inconsistent to be a top 6 player. The shot and speed are there, but he's missing the brain to know when the use them. You see flashes of what he could be, but that's like 1 in 20 games right now.

Can we just like, fuse Dylan Strome and Brendan Perlini together? Strome's vision and IQ combined with Perlini's speed and shot would be one hell of a hockey player.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
None of that helps us before the trade is finalized. I’m not okay with trading Strome for a guy who’s going to walk this summer and we miss the playoffs anyway.

Haha what are you talking about man? You can definitely talk to a player’s agent when they are on an expiring contract if given permission by his current team right? Obviously you don’t make the trade if there’s not a strong feeling that he’ll sign. If they did make a deal like that it would definitely help solidify a playoff spot in my opinion. The Pacific is completely open. None of the teams are really that strong. They get healthy and Raanta keeps rolling there’s no reason they can’t take one of the top two spots in the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad