2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
RT's response is always "someone has to make a play" a system that depends on a player pulling something out of their ass is a flawed system imho.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just my $0.02....

Up until Chayka came on board we were drafting based upon Dave Tippett.

Since then it’s been players based upon Rick Tocchet.

Players drafted under the former are now having to adapt themselves into being the latter, and the learning curve for each player is going to be different, if they ever can get there.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I appreciate how entertaining our system is but I’m not seeing the development of our future core that I’m willing to give Tocchet an A grade thus far. We need more from our young forwards.

Can't "Like" this post enough. Love the system's push towards more speed and offense. Hate the lack of making development of our youth the priority at this point in the rebuild.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Comparing tippets system to tochetts system is apples to oranges. Pretty confident when I say I prefer the system of tochetts than years past.
I heard Tippet interviewed after his first season. He noted that when talking with the GM when he took the job Tippet told him that given the low level of talent and high end players he would implement a slow down system and try to win games 2 to 1. He also noted that he needed a top 10 goalie to make it work.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Our record is better then what I expected but the thing that bothers me is that it just looks like we can't draft and develop our own prospects. With all the high picks we have had, I would like to see more effort and skill from them on the ice.

Agreed. If we had this record and Perlini had Richardsons point total, Fischer had Grabners and Strome was playing 3rd line minutes, this season would feel like a triumph. Instead we are winning games, but are not getting the wins because of the players we have on the roster for years to come. It's concerning.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed. If we had this record and Perlini had Richardsons point total, Fischer had Grabners and Strome was playing 3rd line minutes, this season would feel like a triumph. Instead we are winning games, but are not getting the wins because of the players we have on the roster for years to come. It's concerning.
Also, Richardson and Grabner will both completely freeze over any game now. I promise both will have month long slumps starting within a couple of weeks. They always have and always will. Who’s going to step up? Probably nobody and we’ll end up with last season in reverse.

rt

May 13, 2004
Keller and OEL share our scoring lead with 12 points each. That ties them for 123rd-140th in the league with 18 other players. One of which is Anthony Duclair. Mikkel Boedker has 11 points. Haha.

rt

May 13, 2004
And Max Domi has 24. :surrender
Probably best to just become a Montreal fan. I think I like Domi more than the Coyotes anyway. If the Habs acquired Yandle, I’d drop the Coyotes in a second. If they hadn’t dealt Subban, I’d have dropped the Coyotes the day the Domi trade went down. I’m ______ this close.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I remember loving the old team but still being a little frustrated they never had any big "stars". Doan, Yandle, OEL, Hanzal, Whitney, Vrbata, Aucoin, Morris, etc....I don't think my sentiment at the time was necessarily incorrect but man talk about not realizing what you had until it's gone. That team would absolutely destroy the current incarnation of the Yotes.

I'm starting to become concerned the team is going to emerge (if you can call it that) from the rebuild in a worse spot than when they entered it. Nothing like tearing down mediocrity and rebuilding it into mediocrity. What's the point of going full rebuild if you don't really rebuild? I suppose I'm just jealous of all the other teams who sucked while the Coyotes did yet they're all emerging with great promise. I love Keller but if he was a Canuck he'd be their 3rd best youngster behind Pettersson and Boeser. The Nylander to Matthews and Marner. The Reinhart to Eichel and Dahlin. The Ehlers to Laine and Connor. The Nugent-Hopkins to McDavid and Draisaitl.

f***!

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
It is just amazing, how we have had so many high picks and still our last player who managed to score 70 points were fossil of Ray Whitney.

You can't deny that we have been unlucky, maybe unluckiest organization in the whole universe, but still drafting mediocre player after mediocre player with high picks is totally unacceptable

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I appreciate how entertaining our system is but I’m not seeing the development of our future core that I’m willing to give Tocchet an A grade thus far. We need more from our young forwards.

Exactly correct. I thought Strome's line looked good last game but only got around I think it was 8 TOI. For us as a team to improve in the standings we will need the kids to step it up, and of course our PP has to get a life.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I remember loving the old team but still being a little frustrated they never had any big "stars". Doan, Yandle, OEL, Hanzal, Whitney, Vrbata, Aucoin, Morris, etc....I don't think my sentiment at the time was necessarily incorrect but man talk about not realizing what you had until it's gone. That team would absolutely destroy the current incarnation of the Yotes.

I'm starting to become concerned the team is going to emerge (if you can call it that) from the rebuild in a worse spot than when they entered it. Nothing like tearing down mediocrity and rebuilding it into mediocrity. What's the point of going full rebuild if you don't really rebuild? I suppose I'm just jealous of all the other teams who sucked while the Coyotes did yet they're all emerging with great promise. I love Keller but if he was a Canuck he'd be their 3rd best youngster behind Pettersson and Boeser. The Nylander to Matthews and Marner. The Reinhart to Eichel and Dahlin. The Ehlers to Laine and Connor. The Nugent-Hopkins to McDavid and Draisaitl.

****!

A rebuild does not guarantee winning. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but I agree with what you are saying and it's a little depressing not to have that star power of the other teams.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I still believe our greater problem is development, rather than drafting. Chayka believes the draft is mostly a crapshoot, and I agree.

Look at the forward prospects who have been scoring forwards that we've tried to develop (and failed at nearly every turn). If a forward isn't basically NHL-ready coming out of junior/collegiate, we're probably best off trading them, because our AHL development system has been so bad, it sucks the value right out of our prospects.

Keller and Mueller skipped directly from junior/collegiate to pro and scored 20+ goals their first year. No other Coyotes prospect has been able to pot 20+ goals IN ANY SEASON, no matter how much development focus we've given them.

At this stage of the development track, we needed a coach who would hand-hold our best prospects - no matter which system they were drafted to be integrated into. Playing Cousins over Strome? And on the PP? That shows a coach thinking about winning a fairly meaningless game in the short term, with no vision on how to develop a core to win a Stanley Cup in the long term.

If you can't develop your own scoring forwards, maybe you're better off trading your top 10 picks for veteran help to speed up the rebuild and get you into the playoffs. No team had traded a top 10 pick for a player in a very long time, so it was worth a shot given our circumstances. But that has failed too. Raanta has been injured too often to carry us to the postseason. And Stepan is a good role model, but he's not a 1C, and he's being paid $6M by a budget team and he's on pace for 35 points through the quarter pole. That's simply not good enough.

At this point, I think we can safely expect to see this team miss the playoffs for a franchise setting 7th straight season. And we'll probably pick 12th overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad