2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Missing the playoffs and still drafting upper mid round is the curse of the Coyotes and the worst of both worlds.

I emphatically disagree with Chayka that the draft is a crap shoot. It is a crap shoot up to a point since if teams were in control nobody would ever miss, but the Coyotes record is weak even so.

For me, with the modern knowledge of psychology and physiology etc combined with talented scouts and an in depth solid organisation to support and develop the prospects few if any top picks should miss the mark.

But it's clear from our prospect pool we go for the low hanging fruit with predictable upside rather than players with the potential extra dimension to "make plays" at the NHL level.

Drafting physical specimens lacking in crucial hockey sense will keep you spinning exactly where we are.

Tbf Barret Hayton and P-O.J look like future players. Strome will probably be a player too eventually. With him I feel it's more about maturity and growing into the league as a competitor.

Nevertheless I feel the problem we have with "robotic players" is rooted in poor drafting for whatever reasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Missing the playoffs and still drafting upper mid round is the curse of the Coyotes and the worst of both worlds.

I emphatically disagree with Chayka that the draft is a crap shoot. It is a crap shoot up to a point since if teams were in control nobody would ever miss, but the Coyotes record is weak even so.

For me, with the modern knowledge of psychology and physiology etc combined with talented scouts and an in depth solid organisation to support and develop the prospects few if any top picks should miss the mark.

But it's clear from our prospect pool we go for the low hanging fruit with predictable upside rather than players with the potential extra dimension to "make plays" at the NHL level.

Drafting physical specimens lacking in crucial hockey sense will keep you spinning exactly where we are.

Tbf Barret Hayton and P-O.J look like future players. Strome will probably be a player too eventually. With him I feel it's more about maturity and growing into the league as a competitor.

Nevertheless I feel the problem we have with "robotic players" is rooted in poor drafting for whatever reasons.

I disagree. The draft is a crap shoot. These are kids we are talking about, and their development comes at different stages.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The best example of Coyote's luck: The only two top six centers drafted since coming to AZ are Domi and Turris.

Who's in charge of the toasters? We need a truck load of them.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I disagree. The draft is a crap shoot. These are kids we are talking about, and their development comes at different stages.

Not everything is development. You are born with inherent talent to a certain degree. Players don't become the next McDavid no matter how hard or long they train. I could not become a world class musician if I trained for a thousand years.

It's the job of scouts to find that talent especially when it's not as obvious as McDavid's eg. Obviously the post draft environment plays in but that you can influence to a large degree if you have picked players that still are far from their peak.

Even then there are a lot of talents that can keep you in the NHL as a valuable player. But the very top players all have the natural inate hockey sense you cannot compensate for no matter what you do. And they have the bodies that allow them to express that talent, meaning neurologically clean systems with minimal imbalances and compensations etc.

Then ofc there are psychological factors, mental strength, intelligence, competitiveness, adaptability, and so on. But all of this is the job of scouts to find out.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting article by Travis Yost this morning about McDavid and how top-heavy the Oilers are. One thing I noticed in his stats is that the Coyotes are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

https://www.tsn.ca/top-heavy-oilers-fighting-to-stay-alive-1.1212099

He states that the top 3 generally average around 40% and the top 6 around 66% of team scoring league-wide.

The Coyotes are currently at one end of the spectrum, with 33% from the top 3 and 58% from the top 6. Of course, the problem for the Yotes is they haven't scored enough from top to bottom. But this shows that our top scorers aren't exactly carrying their weight.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hammer away at Bernhardt for Strome over ... basically anyone in that draft, but another real killer is Perlini over Larkin.

Hope it plays out the same as Zadina (Perlini) and Hayton (Larkin).

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Galch. Is. Not. Center. Period. Need to switch to LW ASAP.

More, he has nothing outside of that shot. Effort issues.

Habs fan coming in peace. I was wondering if Galchenyuk had started to wear out his welcome yet. The bolded sums up his time in MONTREAL - EFFORT ISSUES. They guy has a truck load of talent but on too many nights his give a crap meter gets stuck on zero. I have been waiting since his rookie year for him to get it and break out but it never happened and was not going to happen in mtl.

To be honest I was reluctantly happy when we made the MD for AG trade. AG had worn out his welcome and a younger formerly highly touted 1st rounder whose development seemed to have stalled was about all we could realistically expect for him. So far I am really liking Domi. The effort is there every shift- did he play that way for you guys night in and night out even without the results?

I still think Galchenyuk may figure it out now that he is away from the spotlight in Mtl, he has the talent but the effort level is inconsistent at best. And yes, he doesn't have the defensive hockey IQ to play centre.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Pens announce that Matt Cullen is out long term. They're already struggling and banged up.

Bet they could use Strome at 4C. Question is if a Strome/Sprong swap makes sense, or if maybe both sides look to do a bigger deal.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
From Morgan, most likely to get traded:
Morgan: A list of which Coyotes are most likely to be traded...

Keep This One In Mind

Alex Goligoski: This may make more sense in another year, but Goligoski is 33, he has three seasons left at a price tag of $5.475 million per year and Chychrun could be ready to take his spot among the top four soon.

The Most Likely To Go

Brendan Perlini: Perlini nearly found himself a healthy scratch earlier this season when he wasn’t engaging in, and winning puck battles the way Tocchet wanted and wasn’t bringing consistent efforts. He has been better in that area, but he isn’t producing, with just two goals and five points in 19 games. The speed, size and shot offer tantalizing glimpses of what is possible.
Richard Panik: Unlike Perlini, Panik has found himself in Tocchet’s doghouse multiple times this season. When he is engaged, Panik can be a force around the net, but inconsistency still dogs his game.
Dylan Strome: If Dvorak were healthy, it’s hard to figure out where Strome would be playing right now. While it maddens fans that Strome doesn’t play with more skill, it’s clear that Tocchet does not trust him enough to play him in those extended minutes just yet. Questionable decisions with the puck and a willingness and ability to engage in battles are still flaws in his game. If Dvorak returns this season, the Coyotes could look to find a team that believes in Strome’s upside.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A rebuild does not guarantee winning. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but I agree with what you are saying and it's a little depressing not to have that star power of the other teams.
I didn't say a word about winning, I'm talking about emerging from a painful rebuild with very little to show for it. Most of the other teams that were rebuilding at the same time have at least two players that are at or heading for future stardom. Keller would be at most the 3rd best youngster on those teams.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What? When he has the puck, he almost always makes a good pass or play. The problem is that he's not going to have it a lot playing 8 minutes a game with plugs.
I disagree. He usually doesn’t make a good pass or play. He should be elevating the games of the “plugs” on his line. Instead, the plugs play better than Strome.

Reactions: cobra427

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I disagree. He usually doesn’t make a good pass or play. He should be elevating the games of the “plugs” on his line. Instead, the plugs play better than Strome.
There are many knocks one can make on Strome's game but passing is absolutely not one of them, that kid threads the needle on a fairly regular basis. Why he's not receiving top power play minutes is beyond me. I guess it's because the power play is so lethal, you wouldn't want to mess with it. :sarcasm:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
There are many knocks one can make on Strome's game but passing is absolutely not one of them, that kid threads the needle on a fairly regular basis. Why he's not receiving top power play minutes is beyond me. I guess it's because the power play is so lethal, you wouldn't want to mess with it. :sarcasm:

It's so lethal, the coach is serving life! Oh wait...

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Most of our players need to take the trip to the land of Oz and see if they can find some heart and some courage. All the talent in the world doesn't help if you have no heart. Please make a trade for Josh Anderson.
Sans the start, I felt there was plenty of heart in the Boston game.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yes, and no. He threads passes, when he makes the right decision to pass. Too often, he passes at the wrong time, with bad results.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yes, and no. He threads passes, when he makes the right decision to pass. Too often, he passes at the wrong time, with bad results.
He often times has hesitation in his game, but I think (maybe it's just hope) in time he'll improve. He really doesn't have to play every minute of every game to improve. Not that you personally ever suggested he did, but it's been a mantra of many.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Habs fan coming in peace. I was wondering if Galchenyuk had started to wear out his welcome yet. The bolded sums up his time in MONTREAL - EFFORT ISSUES. They guy has a truck load of talent but on too many nights his give a crap meter gets stuck on zero. I have been waiting since his rookie year for him to get it and break out but it never happened and was not going to happen in mtl.

To be honest I was reluctantly happy when we made the MD for AG trade. AG had worn out his welcome and a younger formerly highly touted 1st rounder whose development seemed to have stalled was about all we could realistically expect for him. So far I am really liking Domi. The effort is there every shift- did he play that way for you guys night in and night out even without the results?

I still think Galchenyuk may figure it out now that he is away from the spotlight in Mtl, he has the talent but the effort level is inconsistent at best. And yes, he doesn't have the defensive hockey IQ to play centre.
We went like 6-2-1 with Galchenyuk in the lineup before Raanta went down. Overall Galchenyuk has been good. I think there's more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad