2018-2019 Regular Season Thread II

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
No to Quick. Too much term and injuries. If he doesn't stay healthy for us, unlikely Seattle takes him.

Hart/Stolie or possibly Varly if he goes to FA and would take shorter deal.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Quick would be the starter essentially for two years here. The remainder of this and then next. Hart should be pushing for the job by then. Reduce his work load. When healthy he still is a great goalie. The team in front of him is absolutely dreadful this year. So is ours though. But he’s an upgrade to the AHL goalies and a rookie who probably shouldn’t be getting a long cup of tea with this team until later in the season.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
No to Quick. Too much term and injuries. If he doesn't stay healthy for us, unlikely Seattle takes him.

Hart/Stolie or possibly Varly if he goes to FA and would take shorter deal.
Varly is probably going to get 5-6 years in the market too. I would imagine. Whoever missed on bob will go to him as the backup. Pretty much Carolina or islanders

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt Varly gets offered more than 3 years, teams are learning slowly about what to offer players.
One impact of analytics in all sports is to temper free agent offers to aging players, as teams have better data about decline curves and the probability of total failure.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Varly is probably going to get 5-6 years in the market too. I would imagine. Whoever missed on bob will go to him as the backup. Pretty much Carolina or islanders

I think it also depends on how aggressive/conservative Fletch will be. Trading for Quick is a gamble.

I've always been a huge Quick fan and the thought of him and Hart next year (plus adding Frost/Voro/Allison/Myers..etc while subtracting Simmonds/Weiss/AMac/Torgo) with a coach like Keefe is definitely attractive. An attacking, fast paced system with a healthy Quick and this team could go past the 1st round of the playoffs.

It's those last 2 years of Quick's contract that are potentially scary.

Reactions: Asnito

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's look at the goaltender contracts:

Price (31) - 8yr/$84M - 2018-2025 (38)
Lundqvist (36) - 7yr/$60M - 2014-2020 (38)
Bob (30) - 4yr/$30M - 2015-2018
Rinne (36) - 7yr/$49M - 2012-2018 (36)
Task (31) - 8yr/$56M - 2013-2020 (33)
Hellebuyck (25) - 6yr/$37M - 2018-2023 (30)
Holtby (29) - 5yr/$30M - 2015-2019 (30)
Schneider (32) - 7yr/$42M - 2015-2021 (35)
Crawford (34) - 6yr/$36M - 2014-2019 (35)
Varlamov (30) - 5yr/$30M - 2014-2018 (30)
Quick (32) - 10yr/$58M - 2013-2022 (36)
Jones (28) - 6yr/$35M - 2018-2023 (33)
M Smith (36) - 6yr/$34M - 2013-2018 (36)
MAF (34) - 4yr/$23M - 2015-2018 (34)
Luongo (39) - 12yr/$64M (last three $3.9M) - 2010-2021 (42)
Howard (34) - 6yr/$32M - 2013-2018 (34)

34-35 tends to be the common "terminal" age up to now, a couple deals were designed to lower AVV, Quick, Luongo.
$5-7M for most goalies, $8-9M for the top.
I think given so many goalies falling off before 35 (Price, Schenider, Crawford, Quick, M Smith), that teams will be wary of deals past 34 in the future.

I'd expect Varlamov to be offered something like 3yr/$20M or 4 yr/$24M.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I dont think the decision to go after Quick would be made until Fletcher sees what he has in Hart this season. Is he ready? too early to call. Holding off on getting Quick right now is the way to go.
But given our circumstances any team is going to look to bend the Flyers over for a reliable starting goalie. Hart has all the potential in the world but after that? Stolarz looked fine as a NHL backup before the fool from North Dakota broke him. Lyon stinks. Elliot and Neuvirth are both broken and brittle.
The price is going to be high for Quick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz NHL SV% .901 in 16 games

Lyon NHL SV% .894 in 13 games

The main difference between their numbers is that when Lyon was injured, Hak left him in for a whole period against Buffalo.

Reactions: baudib1 and Asnito

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I think asking prices when the Flyers inquire about a goalie will probably be higher cause they know we are needing and looking . If they know you are desperate they will rob you if they can . if this is the case just go with what we have .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The price will be the same for the Flyers, there are always teams looking for a goalie.
The price will be higher in February than June, however.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I dont think the decision to go after Quick would be made until Fletcher sees what he has in Hart this season. Is he ready? too early to call. Holding off on getting Quick right now is the way to go.
But given our circumstances any team is going to look to bend the Flyers over for a reliable starting goalie. Hart has all the potential in the world but after that? Stolarz looked fine as a NHL backup before the fool from North Dakota broke him. Lyon stinks. Elliot and Neuvirth are both broken and brittle.
The price is going to be high for Quick.
I would be very hesitant to give Hart the reins off of what he does this year. Is he an excellent/special prospect, yup, but we haven't had elite goaltending in decades let's not risk it.

I would feel much better about having a solid veteran for the next two years so if he has a step back he can watch a few games or even get sent down for a month or two.

Goaltending is a lot like QB, teams will adjust and it's on the player to correct the holes in his game. I don't want him to be in a position where he's forced to play and not have time to correct the holes in his game, that's how prospects get stunted in their growth and in some cases bust.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Stolarz NHL SV% .901 in 16 games

Lyon NHL SV% .894 in 13 games

The main difference between their numbers is that when Lyon was injured, Hak left him in for a whole period against Buffalo.
I think Stolarz is better but Lyon is definitely not terrible and I think he's not that far behind him.

Also we have Sandstrom coming over next year so we'll probably lose one of Stolarz or Lyon.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It’s time to start looking at the standings again.

Kind of a mixed set coming up through December. Enough to tell us if this is a real team but some winnable games too. Playing canes twice but the caps, preds, jets and bolts.

Right now we are 7 points out of a playoff spot but have 2 games in hand on the WC2 Habs. 8 pts back of the D3 Pens but two games in hand. That’s a lot but the teams that we have to jump are not scary: isles, rangers, wings, Sens, canes. This team is capable of running 8-10 in a row. Already have 2, could certainly hit Xmas with 4. Beat the bolts and we could have 7 by early December. That kind of run should put us back in the mix then we have to play very well for the rest of the way. I think we can with Hart and hopefully upgrading the top 9.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Flyers fans. I am in need of some fantasy advice. What is the consensus on Hart's role when Elliott is back from injury? Immediately sent back to the A? Thanks for any insight!

Sorry if this has been addressed already.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Flyers fans. I am in need of some fantasy advice. What is the consensus on Hart's role when Elliott is back from injury? Immediately sent back to the A? Thanks for any insight!

Sorry if this has been addressed already.
My opinion,
Hart will not be sent back. He will be splitting starts with Elliot I would imagine. Neuvirth is all but finished here.
I think Neuvirth will start one of the back to backs vs CBS or NYR, and will either blow it, or more likely, get injured again.

Reactions: RANKKA

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Don't know if it was posted anywhere else but Friedman obviously has tons of items on the Flyers.

- Friedman relates a story about how he got advance notice that Hextall was going outside the box with his coaching hire, he sent Hextall an inquiry, and it forced Hextall to move quicker to make the hire. He thinks something similar happened with the Hakstol firing, with Fletcher forced to make the move in the wake of the multiple reports. Nothing about the Hakstol vote of confidence.

So we probably have Isaac to thank for the quicker firing, and Steph Driver was spot on with her reports, in which she never gave a timeline but said Hakstol was definitely out. I still feel this has Holmgren's touch all over it, he's an old-school hockey guy who knows Quenneville, probably overestimated how much Quenneville wanted to work for the Flyers. "We're the Flyers, we get who we want and get deals done."

- Hextall is receiving interest from other teams.

- Friedman speculates that the hiring of Valerie Camillo as head of business operations is a sign the organization is really unhappy about the bottom line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad