2018-2019 Regular Season Thread II

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
We haven't had a reliable goalie for more than 30 years, are people really worried about having 2 of them? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Quick "blocking" Hart will be a good problem to have. We are carrying $10 million in cap space with Lehtera and MacDonald. Paying $5.8 million for Quick won't be a problem. We have all the cap space in the world with so many bums coming off the cap this year.

Goalies can always be moved. Even our rejects, like Mrazek and Pickard, get picked up by desperate teams. You can trade him for a 3rd-rounder or expose him in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Domino666

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ideally, most want a goalie for 2-3 years.

With Quick, we would expose him at the expansion draft and if he was still good, he could be selected. His "real" money being paid at that point is 3 million and 2.5 million for the remaining 2 years. For an expansion team, that could be very nice for them.

Or you could still trade him to a non cap team as those numbers are quite low.

Point is, with him you do have some options with that back diving deal.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We have been patch working the goalie now for the last 5 years. Quick would give us a solid starting goalie. He has injury concerns but when he plays he is still one of the better goalies in the league. Just last year he played 60+ games.

Maybe acquire him and not run him into the ground? Play him around 50-54 games and have hart as the back up going forward (prorated over a full season of course).

His 5.8 cap hit is nothing anymore for a very solid goalie. 4 years is probably one year too long but we can continue with the patch work then because the free agents are going to probably get more term with more cap hit.

Reactions: Tripod

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU

With Quick, we would expose him at the expansion draft and if he was still good, he could be selected. His "real" money being paid at that point is 3 million and 2.5 million for the remaining 2 years. For an expansion team, that could be very nice for them.

just leave them all exposed they can only take one.......

G
TK
Couts
Patty

Sanheim
Myers
Provy
Ghost

Hart

let them take their pick with JVR JAKE QUICK or whoever is there lol

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Quick makes the most sense out of all them. He provides the gap to Hart. I believe that another year in the minors as "the man" wouldn't hurt his development (19-20). 1 year as a backup (20-21, ala Vasilevsky). Hart will also be RFA at the end of 20-21. Give him a "show us" contract like Vasilevsky (3.5 x 3), expose Quick to Seattle. If Quick doesn't get picked up, a 50/50 role with Hart for 21-22 and a backup to Hart in 22-23. Going UFA for Bobrovsky or Varlamov would be the absolute worst thing to do. Picking up one of those guys for 6-7 years (at $7-10 mill AAV) would really stunt his development.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Quick is a Goalie who overwhelmingly relied on his fading athleticism who now can't stay healthy and has a horrendous contract with 4 years left after this one. He's one of the last players in the league I would want to acquire.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Quick is still extremely athletic. I don’t see that part of his game fading as much as the injury is the concern with me.

I do though believe if you play him less than the Kings have you have a much better chance at keeping him healthy.

Again, for a team with 35 million in cap space, 5.8 isn’t going to kill them. Especially if they trade Macdonald.

Varlomov and bob are going to get 5-7 year terms out on the market more likely. There aren’t too many other options..

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Again, for a team with 35 million in cap space, 5.8 isn’t going to kill them. Especially if they trade Macdonald.

If that's how your GM thinks, your franchise is in major trouble.

It's not 5.8 MM. It's $26,598,925 in cap space over the next 4+ years, plus the assets he will cost to acquire, plus the potential assets and/or cap space it costs you to dump MacDonald if you're including that as a factor.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
If the trade is Muzzin and Quick coming back (and assuming Quick is healthy and epxected to stay as such for the next 3 years), there are ways to make that work for both sides. I'd like to see $1-2M cap retention on Quick plus Amac and Elliott (or Neuvy) going back. In exchange, I'd pony up their choice of JOB/Farrabee, their choice of goalie prospects not named Hart (likely Sandstrom), and their choice of Swedish defensive prospects (Hog, Ginning, etc.). Round it with a couple of picks.

LA is not going to need the cap space, so the cap hold-back wont hurt them. Amac fills a spot on their blueline this year and next, and helps improve their draft position.:sarcasm: A top prospect, a couple of picks and a couple decent prospects in exchange for a goalie who will not help them when they are coming back up for air and a good dman who is just as likely to leave? Maybe.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers need a goalie. The team (and we) can either sit around and bitch about how the goalies available aren't perfect and continue to have a bad situation in net for the 30th year in a row or they can go and get one.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don't think acquiring Quick is the right move for the Flyers to make. He is about to turn 33 years old and has had some significant injuries over the last two or three years. Most importantly, you have to commit the rest of this season and then an additional FOUR seasons to him at a 5.8 million cap hit. I have been of the opinion that the Flyers need a better veteran goalie to start this year and next and then potentially tandem with Carter Hart at some point. That said, Quick for five years essentially and with that cap hit would block Hart.
He’s not going to block Hart, but he would be a backup. You can’t pay your backup that much.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yikes. Let's slow down the gotta-get-Quick narrative. :confused:

He has four years left after this one. That's not a bridge to Hart. That's Route 50.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

You can find Quick way at the bottom left of the individual graph if you're curious. Right next to Stolarz.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

With Quick, we would expose him at the expansion draft and if he was still good, he could be selected.

Seattle won't take a 35 year old goalie from the Flyers in the expansion draft.

Reactions: RANKKA

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Difference is Stolarz is a solid prospect coming off a knee injury, working his way back into NHL game shape.
Quick is a fading older goalie.

And you don't have to pay Stolarz $5.8M.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yeah I would rather have too many good options in net than not enough. Pretty simple.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At this point, it would be silly for the Flyers to pay real money to a veteran goalie who isn't top ten material.
It's easy to forget that Elliott was a solid goaltender last year through December - but that's the problem with older goaltenders, they can give you a couple months, but you're always worried about them breaking down.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
At this point, it would be silly for the Flyers to pay real money to a veteran goalie who isn't top ten material.
It's easy to forget that Elliott was a solid goaltender last year through December - but that's the problem with older goaltenders, they can give you a couple months, but you're always worried about them breaking down.

We don't have a coach who runs goalies into the ground anymore so it shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ahhh...sooo....

22NZ.gif

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don’t get all this talk about acquiring Quick.

The Flyers already have the tandem of this franchise now, it just needs playing time and a chance to prove themselves. I’m talking about Hart as starter and Alex Lyon as backup.

Let’s see what they are made of under a different coach before we make any hasty decisions, we all know Hak loved to run goalies into the ground and bring inexperienced cold goalies into games, not exactly a confidence builder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad