Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 4.25.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not to harp on that horrible 2nd round pick, but....

The next goalie taken was 23 picks later.

The next 4 goalies taken were picked by teams with poor recent draft results and goalie development.

9 goalies taken in the top 4 rounds(124 players). 14 taken in rounds 1 thru 7, 15 taken in rounds 8 & 9.

I only see half a dozen goalies from this draft that have had very good post draft seasons, almost all drafted after the 4th round. San Jose 6th Rounder Zach Emond is 23-0-1 in the Q !

I think the entire board was between pissed off and non-plussed by the Lindbom pick. It doesn't help that he was injured for most of the year. I didn't get it--we have Shestyorkin coming and Georgiev looks great and it's not like the Rangers haven't been able to find free agent gold in the past--why waste an early round pick on a goalie? IMO both Huska and Wall have potential too. What if in their next development camp they run into a guy who is too good not to sign like Georgiev?

That said--if Olof turns out good---which we should all hope for. It is an important position. I'm not sure what kind of value we'll get back for a young goalie who is being blocked by another young goalie or two or three.

Reactions: Bluenote13

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You can never have too many goaltending prospects, just like lefties in baseball. Goalies, they can just be so difficult to project. Guy who looks sorta mediocre becomes great for a few years, guy that looks like a stud just can't build on his game and eventually busts.

As @Bluenote13 pointed out in his comment, you just don't need to take them early. Unless the guy is universally considered a stud, there's just too much risk. I could be talked into taking a guy in the third, but otherwise, fourth or later. The only exception would be if, say, Hank left, Shesty busted, Georgiev proved to be just a backup, and out other guys weren't showing much. A situation where you have no goaltending. At that point, I would risk a high pick. But only in a really desperate circumstance.

I'm okay with Lindbom, I just don't like where he was picked.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am staunch in my belief that taking a goalie no matter how good ithey are is stupid and a complete waste of a draft pick. It’s a total waste of value.
I've done a few breakdowns on where the top goalies were picked. Rounds 1-3 turned out top goalies at basically the same rate as rounds 4-7. However, while there are definitely a few very good UDFA guys floating around, the vast majority of good goalies are taken at some point in the draft. So I understand your sentiment but I can't quite agree with "don't draft them at all."

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I've done a few breakdowns on where the top goalies were picked. Rounds 1-3 turned out top goalies at basically the same rate as rounds 4-7. However, while there are definitely a few very good UDFA guys floating around, the vast majority of good goalies are taken at some point in the draft. So I understand your sentiment but I can't quite agree with "don't draft them at all."

I didn’t realize I left out ‘before the fourth round ‘. I fully agree with you.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I forgot to say another bad thing about taking him last year in the second round - this year's crop of goalies looks way better than last year, even though it's probably just a 'good' year for goaltenders. There's probably seven goalies I wouldn't have had a problem taking in the 3rd or 4th round this year.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I forgot to say another bad thing about taking him last year in the second round - this year's crop of goalies looks way better than last year, even though it's probably just a 'good' year for goaltenders. There's probably seven goalies I wouldn't have had a problem taking in the 3rd or 4th round this year.

Just keep adding more salt to the wound. I’ve done far too much healing.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
In Rick Carpinello's article this morning he says he is hearing K'Andre Miller will not turn pro this year but that Morgan Barron may turn pro.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah Miller needs at least one more year, for sure.

Barron, I said it a month and a half ago, I want to see him close out the season strong. He hasn't this far with three points (on a goal, primary, and secondary assist) in his past six. Let's see what he does in the tournament. If he doesn't show well, leave him for another year.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I think Barron stays another year but it's a possibility he could leave this year. @nyr2k2 He has been banged up down the stretch but you're right, you do want to see more now. I will be at the game Friday so I'll let you know how he looks.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Millers production tells me he's ready, outproducing Werenski, Hanifin, Trouba and McAvoy in his first 26 games. There's more to it then production though and if he wants to stay another year then i'm fine with that, i think he'd be good enough for the NHL next season though if he chose that.

Barron is an interesting case, personally i'd want him to stay one more year in NCAA but will be fun to watch him in Hartford next season.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Barron stays another year but it's a possibility he could leave this year. @nyr2k2 He has been banged up down the stretch but you're right, you do want to see more now. I will be at the game Friday so I'll let you know how he looks.
Thanks, I look forward to it. I know you've mentioned he's banged up, so I'm not trying to criticize him. I just really want to see a season where he's dominant start to finish.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There have been some talk about Kovac. He is talented that kid. Maybe he didn’t have it mentally?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There have been some talk about Kovac. He is talented that kid. Maybe he didn’t have it mentally?

Not so much a mental problem, but his issues in his personal life. The street racing accident where a friend died, hit him hard. And he was caught driving without a license a few months again in Lulea. He's a good player but an absolute moron off the ice

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On a whole other topic, a star for Luleå Hockey stands trial for severe reckless driving after leaving the police in the dust with his car, then dumping his car but losing the chasing officers by foot. He has however been arrested since the police officers identified him during the chase.

SHL-stjärna åtalas för grov olovlig körning

The prosecutor is requesting a more severe sentence than normal since this Luleå Hockey player previously lost his driving license and has several severe traffic violations in the past. He was also just recently a couple of months ago caught driving without license.

Swedish media never publish the name of someone accused of something before they have been convicted. But I wonder who it can be...

Reactions: egelband and BBKers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
On a whole other topic, a star for Luleå Hockey stands trial for severe reckless driving after leaving the police in the dust with his car, then dumping his car but losing the chasing officers by foot. He has however been arrested since the police officers identified him during the chase.

The prosecutor is requesting a more severe sentence than normal since this Luleå Hockey player previously lost his driving license and has several severe traffic violations in the past. He was also just recently a couple of months ago caught driving without license.

Swedish media never publish the name of someone accused of something before they have been convicted. But I wonder who it can be...
This dude needs to be on jail. He's going to directly kill someone. And he should permanently lose his license.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

It’s probably Vin Diesel.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not so much a mental problem, but his issues in his personal life. The street racing accident where a friend died, hit him hard. And he was caught driving without a license a few months again in Lulea. He's a good player but an absolute moron off the ice

Unfortunately, a lot of times people behave the way they behave because of a mental or psychological problem. Likewise, traumatic events can trigger problems, or contribute to them.

There's still this stigma around mental health problems --- a fear of saying someone has a problem, or hedging on it. There's still an embarrassment around it.

Certainly, anyone would need to be diagnosed by a professional. But hopefully, if there is a problem, the individual can receive help and support.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Tired: nuance and compassion for mental health
Wired: complaining about never seen goalies looked up on hockeydb

Reactions: Don Chytil

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gross broke out of his long slump with 2 primary assists including on the GWG, 3 shots, 2 PIM, and was named the first star.

Keane, meanwhile, continues to struggle in a lesser role and was -2.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad