Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 4.25.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Such a bizarre stereotype, too. Where does it come from? Anyone know? Maybe because of the Russian hockey “mystique” from the 1970s where the players made things look easy and smooth. I dunno. But it’s bizarre to me that Russians have the “lazy” stigma. So random.

Darko was not being serious there.

Reactions: darko and bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Victoria swept their first round series against Alberni Valley. Hughes only had 2 assists in 4 games, good for T-10th on the team. Newhook, who I really want to draft, had 3-6-9 in 4 (he had 38-64-102 in 53 regular season games, finishing with an 8 point game to push him over 100 points).

Reactions: Joey Bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Victoria swept their first round series against Alberni Valley. Hughes only had 2 assists in 4 games, good for T-10th on the team. Newhook, who I really want to draft, had 3-6-9 in 4 (he had 38-64-102 in 53 regular season games, finishing with an 8 point game to push him over 100 points).

Hughes must be playing away from Newhook now. It would be just impossible to get only measly 0.5 ppg if you're a passenger to 2.3 ppg player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Such a bizarre stereotype, too. Where does it come from? Anyone know? Maybe because of the Russian hockey “mystique” from the 1970s where the players made things look easy and smooth. I dunno. But it’s bizarre to me that Russians have the “lazy” stigma. So random.

Well Darko was obviously joking, but the stereotype comes from the 80s and early 90s when Russians started trickling into the NHL.

The old Russian systems really emphasized skill and so a lot of those guys had pretty sick skating, stickhandling, playmaking abilities. But sometimes those skills don't always translate into mind-blowing numbers. Then you factor in a lot of those guys sometimes struggling to adapt to a North American style game, and there was a feeling of "wanting" when watching some of those guys.

It's kind of like Finnish players until the last decade or so. For a long time there was the opinion that they worked very well collectively, but struggled as individual stars in the NHL (with obvious exceptions).

But times change, the game is more global in nature than its ever been, and a lot of those stereotypes have faded with time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well Darko was obviously joking, but the stereotype comes from the 80s and early 90s when Russians started trickling into the NHL.

The old Russian systems really emphasized skill and so a lot of those guys had pretty sick skating, stickhandling, playmaking abilities. But sometimes those skills don't always translate into mind-blowing numbers. Then you factor in a lot of those guys sometimes struggling to adapt to a North American style game, and there was a feeling of "wanting" when watching some of those guys.

It's kind of like Finnish players until the last decade or so. For a long time there was the opinion that they worked very well collectively, but struggled as individual stars in the NHL (with obvious exceptions).

But times change, the game is more global in nature than its ever been, and a lot of those stereotypes have faded with time.

Don't look back but we are talking 30 years give or take.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't look back but we are talking 30 years give or take.

We are.

And I think things persist now because it's easy to keep it feeling somewhat fresh thanks to the internet.

Think about the 2003 draft and Hugh Jessiman. People still talk about it as if it were a few years ago. It'll be 16 years this June. That's insane.

And yet, in 2003, the 1987 draft felt like an entire lifetime prior.

And so there are times you hear people reference something, and you get it, only to realize that the reference is older than most of our players.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hey, question for European posters (or anyone, really).

Why is it that the European leagues seem to go multiple days without games? Liiga, for instance, seems to regularly not have games for 2 or more days. The Czech League, shit, they seem to only play games at the highest level every four days or so. Even the SHL, I often see no game on the calendar for a a day or two at a time. I understand when there are national tournaments going on and all that, but why otherwise? I just ask because if you look at the NHL or NBA, both with 82 game schedules, they both pretty much always have at least one or two games each night. Unless if it's a holiday, maybe, but otherwise there's pretty much always a game to watch. Is it the fact that there are fewer teams and shorter seasons?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, so Sochi is done, as I understand Rykov's contract still lasts for a short time. Assuming he wants to come over now and we want him now, we can try to get him out of his contract and on a PTO.

Reactions: RGY

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Why is it that the European leagues seem to go multiple days without games? Liiga, for instance, seems to regularly not have games for 2 or more days. The Czech League, ****, they seem to only play games at the highest level every four days or so. Even the SHL, I often see no game on the calendar for a a day or two at a time. I understand when there are national tournaments going on and all that, but why otherwise? I just ask because if you look at the NHL or NBA, both with 82 game schedules, they both pretty much always have at least one or two games each night. Unless if it's a holiday, maybe, but otherwise there's pretty much always a game to watch. Is it the fact that there are fewer teams and shorter seasons?
Different type of scheduling where they try to have "game days" where every team plays instead of spreading them out. So you know that your team is playing every Tuesday.

Reactions: nyr2k2

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Why is it that the European leagues seem to go multiple days without games? Liiga, for instance, seems to regularly not have games for 2 or more days. The Czech League, ****, they seem to only play games at the highest level every four days or so. Even the SHL, I often see no game on the calendar for a a day or two at a time. I understand when there are national tournaments going on and all that, but why otherwise? I just ask because if you look at the NHL or NBA, both with 82 game schedules, they both pretty much always have at least one or two games each night. Unless if it's a holiday, maybe, but otherwise there's pretty much always a game to watch. Is it the fact that there are fewer teams and shorter seasons?

It’s kind of like American Football, and for that matter soccer too, where you play on designated days.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It’s kind of like American Football, and for that matter soccer too, where you play on designated days.

Yes. This is correct. And with the Champions Hockey League now part of the season, you see those games taking place on weekdays similar to football and the UEFA Champions League.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Chris Peters on ESPN+ just released a list of his top 50 drafted prospects and top 10 team prospect pools. He ranked the Rangers as having the 2nd best talent pool, (Ottawa is first) specifically mentioning Kravtsov, Miller, Shestyorkin, Hajek and Keane. He rated Kravtsov 11, up from 40 in his last ranking, Shestyorkin at 33 up from 59 and Miller at 37 up from 51. Cale Makar is #1. His prospect cutoff was 26 NHL games.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
80-90's stereotype as Edge said.

Nowadays though, if you're not mucking it up after the whistle or gleefully grinding below the goal line, many old school American fans will call you lazy.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well they do NFL games once per week for a few reasons. For one, guys literally cannot handle it physically to do anymore. See the horrible, sloppy Thursday games where everyone is still hurt and too tired to play. And then they play them primarily on weekends because it's otherwise difficult to fill 70,000+ seats, and they can then do early games, late games, and night games, maximizing viewership when people are home. I know international football is similar with league games primarily being on weekends, at least in Serie A and the Premiership which I follow.

So my question is, do the Liiga and SHL and Czech League have actual designated days? I've never noticed any "designated days" (like Monday, Thursday, Saturday or something). It always seemed kind of random. I'm probably wrong, though. :laugh:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Not to mention the state of relations between the U.S. and Russia (U.S.S.R.) at that time...

Reactions: Edge

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
D1Iuqv7WwAEU1cm.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad