Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 4.25.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko does it first, Kravstov does it later in the same season.

Stay woke.

Rather stay patient. I see a few posters already inexplicably souring on Chytil (who IMHO had a great 2018-2019 campaign for a teenager). Well, I expect Kravtsov next season to look just about how Chytil looked this this season. Maybe just slightly better but I wouldn’t put big money on it. If he steps in as a ready top-6 that would be a HUGE surprise.

Reactions: pblawr and Cag29

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If you lose your stick against the Caps PP, there is very little excuse for not just going and standing by Ovechkin the entire time.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I think Kakko could get to about 35 points. That would be a hugely successful season as an 18 year old. Any higher expectations is unreasonable and unfair. I expect Kravtsov, if he plays most of the season in the NHL would get about 25 points. Again, a huge success for a 19 year old.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Kakko could get to about 35 points. That would be a hugely successful season as an 18 year old. Any higher expectations is unreasonable and unfair. I expect Kravtsov, if he plays most of the season in the NHL would get about 25 points. Again, a huge success for a 19 year old.

So much depends on line mates and usage.

I think Kakko exceeds 35 easily though. He's going to get his chances and hes a beast.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Would be lit to have two rookies with 60pt seasons but I think maybe Year 2.

He had 21 points in the KHL, but no doubt we can rely on Kravtsov having 60 points in the NHL next season.

Buchnevich had (slightly) better stats in the NHL and the WJC Team Russia at the same age, yet it took him almost until the age of 22 to establish himself as a real NHLer. At the age of 24, Buchnevich, formerly a highly touted prospect, has career a little over .5 ppg without much rise year to year.

No player has the same trajectory, of course, but there's less than nothing to suggest that as a teenage rookie Kravtsov gets more points than Buchnevich got in his first 2 NHL seasons combined at the age of 22-24.

Most likely, Kravtsov has a season similar to Chytil's this year, give or take half a dozen points.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Honest question: besides the draft position (which is irrelevant after a year), what reasons do we have for believing Kravtsov will be better than Buchnevich? What am I missing here?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Honest question: besides the draft position (which is irrelevant after a year), what reasons do we have for believing Kravtsov will be better than Buchnevich? What am I missing here?

I would agree that predicting a 60-point season in his second year is... optimistic.

But to answer your question: literally everything except for raw point totals without context?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He's better in every way. Better shot, better skater, better passer, far better defensively, stronger. And he had a much bigger impact on his team. Looking at just points is an awful way to compare Kravtsov to Buchnevich. Kravtsov was involved in 26.5% of his team's goals. That's more than Kaprizov, Kuznetsov, Tolvanen, Panarin, Buchnevich and Tarasenko.

That's what sets him apart from Buchnevich.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

He's better and the stats show that if you look closer. He was on an offensively inept team this season and still had 21 Points, he drove offense on Traktor, look at his Point share that @Amazing Kreiderman tracked all season.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's better and the stats show that if you look closer. He was on an offensively inept team this season and still had 21 Points, he drove offense on Traktor, look at his Point share that @Amazing Kreiderman tracked all season.

Forgot to add this:

D4RFvhRW4AEkU5D.jpg:large

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He had 21 points in the KHL, but no doubt we can rely on Kravtsov having 60 points in the NHL next season.

Buchnevich had (slightly) better stats in the NHL and the WJC Team Russia at the same age, yet it took him almost until the age of 22 to establish himself as a real NHLer. At the age of 24, Buchnevich, formerly a highly touted prospect, has career a little over .5 ppg without much rise year to year.

No player has the same trajectory, of course, but there's less than nothing to suggest that as a teenage rookie Kravtsov gets more points than Buchnevich got in his first 2 NHL seasons combined at the age of 22-24.

Most likely, Kravtsov has a season similar to Chytil's this year, give or take half a dozen points.
Oh I know. But it's nice to dream.

Reactions: Richard Banger

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For all of you with replies to @Beacon I think misunderstood his question (unless it’s just me and yu’all got it right). A number of 10-15 game flashes from before and the second half of this season is Buchnevich I’ve been expecting since I started to follow him after the Rangers drafted him. He could be 55-70 player for the Rangers. Where I think Buchnevich is at least on a par with Kravtsov is his hockey IQ - ability to read the game. Otherwise Kravtsov could be better overall eventually but then by how much and how much of this will be realized in his rookie NHL season still as a teenager? Remember Buchnevich stayed two more years in the KHL to come over a lot more mature.

Still to answer @Beacon , at this stage the biggest differential is Kravtsov strength (relative to Buch when he came over) and... his English.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Forgot to add this:

Traktor played 62 games last year and scored 101 goals--that's closer to one and a half goals a game than 2 goals. Let's just say that his team sucked at offense. To me that's something worth keeping in respective when talking about an 18 year old who finished with 21 points. As well keeping in mind that Kravtsov didn't play all 62 games--he missed 12 but still ended the season third on the team in scoring. There was the WJC's that interrupted his Traktor season and he got hurt there and had trouble picking it up afterwards for a while--(playing through an injury?).

Saying all that I'm not really sure what to expect. A lot will depend on the players he plays most with which might depend on his reliability in areas other than offense. Quinn is a teaching coach and he will sit down a player for a game or two or during a game to make a point and he will continue with a player if he doesn't think that player is getting it. I think Kravtsov will at least be able to produce what Chytil did last year--that's if he plays the entire season with the Rangers which I'm assuming he will. He was a major player for a KHL team last year as an 18 year old. That's kind of special.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh the outrage this place will witness when Quinn will (undoubtedly) sit Kravtsov for a game or two and will have him on stints on a 4th line.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Forgot to add this:

Steve, you’re absolutely right to use this as a reference. Still if we are talking Buchnevich, his Severstal was also far from an offensive juggernaut and almost 20% of team’s offense should be very impressive as well. The only big name on that team I remember was Kagarlitskiy and Buchnevich barely played with him at all.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Oh the outrage this place will witness when Quinn will (undoubtedly) sit Kravtsov for a game or two and will have him on stints on a 4th line.
I think Quinn has earned the confidence of the large majority of the board. If he benches a guy, he won't, or shouldn't, get lambasted.

Reactions: eco's bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Steve, you’re absolutely right to use this as a reference. Still if we are talking Buchnevich, his Severstal was also far from an offensive juggernaut and almost 20% of team’s offense should be very impressive as well. The only big name on that team I remember was Kagarlitskiy and Buchnevich barely played with him at all.

Traktor finished the season with 1.62 goals per game, which is the lowest ever in the KHL by a team reaching the play offs.

What sets Kravtsov apart from Buchnevich is the way he plays though. Buchnevich was a complimentary player and more a finisher, while Kravtsov carries his line

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Still to answer @Beacon , at this stage the biggest differential is Kravtsov strength (relative to Buch when he came over) and... his English.

I gotta say, Buchnevich looked like a skinny 8 year old girl when he came over. There was a picture of him that was just comical in terms of how thin he was. Kravtsov looks physically much more ready.

Even if Kravtsov isn't a ppg star, if we'll get a 6'4 50-point LW, not bad. He plays a very different style than Kreider, but if he became similar in quality, it would be a big score for the Rangers. Anything better than that and it's gravy as far as I'm concerned. A guy who is as good as Kreider (whether the same or different style) is very valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad