GDT: 2018-2019 Other Playoff Games Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Honestly, the qutting aspect has a lot to do with players I loved like Thornton and Marleau retiring without a ring.

yet pieces of **** like Perron got one.

It is what it is... but we all know hockey is a more about luck than skill.

*edit* point is this game is a drug.. and the anger leads me to come back
The more of hockey I experience, the more I think that coaching is the most important aspect to winning when it comes to the modern game. PDB's saving grace is/was his ability to make adjustments and it's easy to see how severe a series can change from game to game just from adjustments. I know we credit Vlasic mainly for shutting down Stone in the 1st round but it takes more than just one player to turn a 4 PPG player into a 0 PPG player. The system matters so much nowadays that you'd need a truly special player like Mack or McDavid to just say "f*** you" to another teams whole strategy and even those guys will get limited.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The more of hockey I experience, the more I think that coaching is the most important aspect to winning when it comes to the modern game. PDB's saving grace is/was his ability to make adjustments and it's easy to see how severe a series can change from game to game just from adjustments. I know we credit Vlasic mainly for shutting down Stone in the 1st round but it takes more than just one player to turn a 4 PPG player into a 0 PPG player. The system matters so much nowadays that you'd need a truly special player like Mack or McDavid to just say "**** you" to another teams whole strategy and even those guys will get limited.

Actually This is not a good time to use that as an example as Goon Craig berube of all people coaches his team to a Stanley Cup. Thst is puke worthy just thinking of it.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Actually This is not a good time to use that as an example as Goon Craig berube of all people coaches his team to a Stanley Cup. Thst is puke worthy just thinking of it.
He had his team play a style that they needed in order to win. The sharks should learn a thing or two from that

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

crazy because he was a legit goon.. like straight up dirty enforcer, not even a grinder.

and he coached this team to a cup, holy shit lol

Reactions: goflyakite

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
Like, after all the bull**** we suffered, it still continues to get worse.
I’m constantly caught off guard with all the bullshit in this league, from individual calls/non calls, to certain rules, to suspensions or lack thereof, which is weird because I should expect this shit by now. I guess a small part of me always believes in the moment that they’ll get it right. That is until, for example, tonight when the Blues are getting dominated for 17 minutes and have 1 shot on net, and then they board a guy for a turnover and score to completely change the game. Then I throw my hat, yell at my tv, and then think to myself a minute later that they f***ed up again. Then repeat the cycle.
Honestly, the qutting aspect has a lot to do with players I loved like Thornton and Marleau retiring without a ring.
This is a major thing to me. The only thing I’m clinging onto now is Thornton playing. 2016 will always haunt me. :(

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I’m constantly caught off guard with all the bull**** in this league, from individual calls/non calls, to certain rules, to suspensions or lack thereof, which is weird because I should expect this **** by now. I guess a small part of me always believes in the moment that they’ll get it right. That is until, for example, tonight when the Blues are getting dominated for 17 minutes and have 1 shot on net, and then they board a guy for a turnover and score to completely change the game. Then I throw my hat, yell at my tv, and then think to myself a minute later that they ****ed up again. Then repeat the cycle.

This is a major thing to me. The only thing I’m clinging onto now is Thornton playing. 2016 will always haunt me. :(

Yeah 2016 was the heartbreaker for me too, Crosby getting the Conn Smythe was icing on the cake, Kessel carried that f***ing team

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
as whack as it sounds, I felt more confident in this years team than 2016.. but **** the hockey gods they struggled to stay healthy
a healthy sharks team had a massive shot this year, **** the hockey gods.
Jones also has some work to do this summer.

That or a competent PP. Would've saved them a few games.
Panthers under Boughner had the 2nd best PP and 10th ranked PK this year. Not sure how much of a hand he had in special teams but if he was in charge of special teams then we might be in luck next year. Although it might've been his assistant who also got fired so idk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Jones also has some work to do this summer.

Panthers under Boughner had the 2nd best PP and 10th ranked PK this year. Not sure how much of a hand he had in special teams but if he was in charge of special teams then we might be in luck next year.

Might not be a coincidence that our PP was pretty damn good when he was here as well.

I thought our percentage was higher in the Cup run, but apparently it was about 24%, which isn't bad, but it seemed like it was far more potent than that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Ryan O'Reilly just had a playoff run superior to anything Thornton, Marleau, or hell Pavelski ever had.

And his team misses the playoffs 75% of the time because of his lack of production. By the way his 1st playoff he had 1 point in 6 games. eliminated 1st round. 2nd playoffs he had 6 points in 7 games, eliminated 1st round. And he only had 2 more points than Thornton did in the 2016 playoffs. And Thornton played 2 fewer games. And Pavs had 14 goals in the 2015/2016 playoffs and the same amount of points as O'Reilly in 2 fewer games.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
And his team misses the playoffs 75% of the time because of his lack of production. By the way his 1st playoff he had 1 point in 6 games. eliminated 1st round. 2nd playoffs he had 6 points in 7 games, eliminated 1st round. And he only had 2 more points than Thornton did in the 2016 playoffs. And Thornton played 2 fewer games. And Pavs had 14 goals in the 2015/2016 playoffs and the same amount of points as O'Reilly in 2 fewer games.

That is only looking at points.

Thornton, Marleau, and Pavelski are also all more talented than O'Reilly.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Blues notebook: Bettman confirms missed call on hand pass

Bettman and the rest can be happy their team got it. After I read this article, I knew the Sharks were probably screwed. Turned out to be correct.

F the NHL league office and F the people who said “ref Jose” cause the Sharks finally got a couple calls their way after 20 years.

Of course when that happens, the commissioner goes out of his way to say how unhappy he was of the outcome. Where was this head explosion when the Sharks have had SO many calls go against them in the past.

Can’t think of a more frustrating playoff run in terms of officiating and league involvement, whatever.. on to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad