GDT: 2018-2019 Other Playoff Games Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
More of an argument of how they performed in the playoffs versus their skill level. My point is that this was not a bottom 6 with guys like Spaling, Zubrus, Wingels, Sheppard, Brown, etc. that we have iced in basically every playoff year prior to this one where we knew they were going to get dominated and you had to rely on the top guys to score. Sure, Haley was not good but the rest of the group in the bottom 6 are guys that on paper should have been fine (or even advantageous in regard to the 3rd line). They just did not put up points or perform how they should due to their many of the guys' skillsets not being made for teams like Vegas or STL who are big and physical (which is the issue).

Outside of Haley, the bottom 6 was not littered with guys that you held your breath every time they were on the ice because they stunk. They were just very meh and did not bring a ton to the table either positively or negatively for the most part. Melker for example is not a bad hockey player. However, he does not really fit the role of what the 4th line should be against the Blues or Vegas in terms of bringing energy and physical play. He was usually always in proper position and stuff and could PK, but he is just very average at everything and not a difference maker. I want a 4th line of guys that make a difference as opposed to just not being bad. For the longest time, we just had a bad 4th line. Now we need to go from "not bad" to good.

But that is my exact point. Players who don't stink aren't enough for the playoffs. You need players that give you the best chance of out-scoring the other teams bottom-6. Jumbo-Labanc is a really good start but like I said, Jumbo's age and Labanc's streakiness hurt us as the playoffs went on.

Sorensen, Karlsson or Goodrow don't make me hold my breath but I have zero expectations that they do anything in the offensive zone. Plus our dumbass coach continues to ice them against other teams top lines as well. But that is a different story altogether.

My point is that you need prospective tweeners playing in 'most' of the bottom-6. You cannot fill those spots with UFA's. You need to give the young kids who have offensive skill that chance so that they can step into the bottom-6 and move their way up to the middle-6. The problem here again comes down to how PDB rates his 4th line and what he sees in them.

Jan Smite

May 7, 2019
I still think Goalies win cups. Until last game Rask was on fire, and Binnington always recovered after a loss.

Jones made sure we went 7 games even in winning series and didnt make the saves the guys neede, and team couldnt stay healthy

Reactions: Phu

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I still think Goalies win cups. Until last game Rask was on fire, and Binnington always recovered after a loss.

Jones made sure we went 7 games even in winning series and didnt make the saves the guys neede, and team couldnt stay healthy

Binnington was a product of the Blues system. They collapsed down low and gave up very few grade A chances. Almost everything from the Bruins last night was from the outside or from the point with no second chances. I hope they give him a long term 6-7MM deal. He’s really just average.

Reactions: Phu

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Binnington was a product of the Blues system. They collapsed down low and gave up very few grade A chances. Almost everything from the Bruins last night was from the outside or from the point with no second chances. I hope they give him a long term 6-7MM deal. He’s really just average.
Yeah I'm not sure about the Binnington hype. He played very well at times but he also let in a lot of soft goals, especially 5 hole. St Louis system limited 2nd chances and kept teams to the outside a lot and did a great job clearing the front of the net

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah. And he elevated the play of Melker and Goodrow who have just not been that great in the post-season. That is saying a lot.

I want the coaches to take almost a reverse approach this season. Give the Ch-twins, True, etc. a real shot at a NHL roster spot. Have an open mind about the bottom-6. Don't load up on plugs because they bring 'energy' and 'intangibles'. Sadly, I don't see the latter happening. The Blues winning with their thuggery may give PDB even more confidence that the 'energy' and 'grit' is what is missing from our team. Honestly, I would rather have had lost in the 1st round than lose in the WCF if I knew it got PDB fired. The drawback would have been that I doubt EK65 gave us a 2nd look if we had a 1st round exit.
I think the fact that Melker had so many opportunities that we lament is actually a sign that Melker did his job, even if he didn't score. I'm not expecting him to be the one carrying the offense on the 4th line and I liked that he was contributing chances but he was the only one doing anything for that line. My main problem with the 4th line was that they were absolutely atrocious defensively. They trusted in Goodrow's "defensive capabilities" too much when he is actually a liability. Every time they had to play in the d-zone, they were totally hemmed in and it was really glaring to see compared to the way our competition played. Avs, Blues, and Knights 4th lines were all more effective as grinders than ours was. 4th line just needs a change and getting Goodrow and Haley off of it would be nice but I don't see a change incoming especially with Boughner and Deboer most likely going to bat for Haley and seemingly favorable bias towards Goodrow.

Reactions: DeadGhost

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Game 7 boiled down to execution. Bruins had 3 or 4 top tier chances in the first period that they had to put away.

Credit to Binnington for putting himself in the best position, but there was still 25-50% of the net to hit for a goal on some of those early opportunities.

Marchand's was the most egregious. Had half the net, and put it right down the middle. If he gets his head up and picks a spot that's a goal all day long.

Blues weathered that early storm, and Boston kept gripping those sticks all game long. Felt like a classic Sharks loss actually.

As much as I disliked the Blues crossing the line with their physical play, I am happy for that city. They have been crapped on pretty hard recently when it comes to professional sports, and that Blues franchise certainly deserves a cup.

Another what if season for the Sharks in the books.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Why did Larry Robinson leave the Sharks in the first place again? I thought he was done coaching, and yet he just won another cup as an assistant coach. Is his family in St. Louis or something?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why did Larry Robinson leave the Sharks in the first place again? I thought he was done coaching, and yet he just won another cup as an assistant coach. Is his family in St. Louis or something?

He didn't want to travel any more. Its why his last year here he was basically a consultant living in florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino