-Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
-AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
-Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
-Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
-RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
-Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Biggest NCAA Tournament upsets by Pairwise ranking:

-RIT (38) over Minnesota State (1) in 2015
-Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
-AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
-Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
-Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
-RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
-Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.
Just oof. Feels bad for Husky fans.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They were stunned last night. Group in a suite threw their popcorn and beers out in the crowd after the final buzzer.
I can only imagine how frustrating that is. The closest I've come to that is the 2013-14 Badgers losing to North Dakota as a 1 vs 4. If I remember correctly, the Badgers winning the big ten championship allowed North Dakota to make the tournament.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Was just about to comment on how awful Providence looks and they come down and roof a shot to make it 3-2.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bulldogs escape. Would’ve been pretty embarrassing for the state if they would’ve lost.

True. But this format just lends itself to upsets.

Why not make it best of three played with the first two games at the higher seed's home rink, final game if necessary played at the lower's. Frozen Four you could make single-elimination at a host site. I think it would help revenue and produce the correct results - otherwise why have seeding at all?

I was watching the first game from Manchester and it was embarrassing as a hockey fan. I don't think Allentown was much better. Providence got good attendance mostly by providing a ridiculous advantage to a four-seed.

Yes, the "madness" of it is part of the appeal however I'd rather see elite athletes play hockey games than a full slate of clutch and grab, trap-style, negative hockey. It's no way to grow the game for casual fans.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Why not make it best of three played with the first two games at the higher seed's home rink, final game if necessary played at the lower's. Frozen Four you could make single-elimination at a host site. I think it would help revenue and produce the correct results - otherwise why have seeding at all?

I was watching the first game from Manchester and it was embarrassing as a hockey fan. I don't think Allentown was much better. Providence got good attendance mostly by providing a ridiculous advantage to a four-seed.

Yes, the "madness" of it is part of the appeal however I'd rather see elite athletes play hockey games than a full slate of clutch and grab, trap-style, negative hockey. It's no way to grow the game for casual fans.
Do you feel the same way about basketball March Madness too? I like it the way it is. If the team is truly the best then they will win. Not the fan's fault the top tier teams are not executing in the tournament this year.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I think it would be better to go to pool play, like they do in youth hockey and soccer. Four teams/region, each play the other teams, winner ( best record in the pool)moves on to Final Four. Hockey is not a good sport for single elimination style tournaments. A hot goalie or a bad bounce of a stanchion is a poor way to determine which team should move on.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Conversation just seems a little bitter with two, almost three, #1 seeded Minnesota teams losing in the first round. Do or die games make for the best excitement. Don't kill the excitement.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Conversation just seems a little bitter with two, almost three, #1 seeded Minnesota teams losing in the first round. Do or die games make for the best excitement. Don't kill the excitement.

I mentioned the excitement part. Upsets are good in a way, as it makes for a recruiting tool and potentially helps build the program through recruiting / fan support. But the lack of fans is unacceptable. Best of three tourney with home games would reward the student sections, local supporters. And it would still produce do or die games. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go to Allentown or Manchester for spring break. Ever been?

At least put the regionals places where someone might go see them. Even New York City - where there are tons of alumni of schools like Wisconsin, Michigan, Harvard, Cornell, etc. and hockey fans eager to see meaningful games.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Why not make it best of three played with the first two games at the higher seed's home rink, final game if necessary played at the lower's. Frozen Four you could make single-elimination at a host site. I think it would help revenue and produce the correct results .
Don't worry about that. Denver won.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
When win 30 games or more 3 times in 4 years...but go 0-3 "when it matters..." Tends to make one a little bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad