2018-2019 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That's sort of a cop out excuse. It's no different than the basketball schedule (even has a more consistent schedule) and people seem to follow them fine.

You can call it a cop out or what ever you want. I was never anything more than a casual Gopher fan (proud SCSU alum), and because of the cadence of the schedule and broadcasts when they were in the WCHA, it made it simpler for me. I just knew that there would be a Gopher hockey game on Friday and Saturday nights at 7 pm (or an hour later if they were at CC or Denver) and I knew what channel it was going to be on. It just became habit and that resulted in me being a regular viewer. Now, I have to think ahead and look to see who they are playing and when and what channel. And I'm sorry that I just can't get worked up over a Gopher/Ohio State or Penn State match-up like I would a Gopher/North Dakota or SCSU series. First world problems, huh? But I'm just being honest and I don't think I'm the only one.

I can't speak to the basketball schedule because I've never really followed them unless they were in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But does it need to go to that? That seems awfully fairweather...
Fair weather is abandoning the conference that you were a part of forever, and had all sorts of connections to.
Fair weather joining a new conference filled with teams no one cares about.
Fair weather is raising ticket prices (is it truly $38 for the cheapest seat now?)so the student body can't afford to go.
Fair weather is playing games at odd times to satisfy the TV Gods rather than the old, reliable, Friday and Saturday nights.

MN sold out for $$, pure and simple. That's fine, as long as you are prepared to put up with the consequences. Just don't freaking whine about it. Just about everyone I knew thought it was a bad idea when it was announced, and MN ignored their opinion.

I'm not a life long time Gopher fan or MN resident(lived in Fargo prior to this, and saw the Sioux madness), but even I can see that you had something very special here, and you f***ed it up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fair weather is abandoning the conference that you were a part of forever, and had all sorts of connections to.
Fair weather is raising ticket prices (is it truly $38 for the cheapest seat now?)so the student body can't afford to go.
Fair weather is playing games at odd times to satisfy the TV Gods rather than the old, reliable, Friday and Saturday nights.

MN sold out for $$, pure and simple. That's fine, as long as you are prepared to put up with the consequences. Just don't freaking whine about it. Just about everyone I knew thought it was a bad idea when it was announced, and MN ignored their opinion.

I'm not a life long time Gopher fan or MN resident(lived in Fargo prior to this, and saw the Sioux madness), but even I can see that you had something very special here, and you ****ed it up.

They didn't abandon anything. They voted against the Big 10 stuff. That said, they're in full control of the ticket prices.

Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Bottom line is that the Gophers used to fill the building before they joined the Big 10. It's now a shadow of itself attendance wise. Blaming the fans is not going to fill the building. A national championship would do it, I think?
I think dropping the prices of gopher tickets would be a great start to filling the building back up.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I'm not a life long time Gopher fan or MN resident(lived in Fargo prior to this, and saw the Sioux madness), but even I can see that you had something very special here, and you ****ed it up.
The History of Big Ten Hockey (1922-Present) | mgoblog

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Mn had zero choice once the B1G voted to start the league. It's B1G all or none.
So what should MN have done... Leave the entire B1G to satisfy hockey? Not on your life.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mn had zero choice once the B1G voted to start the league. It's B1G all or none.
So what should MN have done... Leave the entire B1G to satisfy hockey? Not on your life.
Fine..whatever. Just don't accuse fans of being fair weather. I applaud them for not putting up with the crap(detailed in my previous post)that the U has shoved on them. One things for sure, the Big 10 didn't force them to raise their ticket prices.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wasn’t that what the Northstar Cup was? And it failed.
Success is 99% execution, 1% idea.

There is no reason that only conference games should have value.

Some of the best college football rivalries are between non-conference rivals (Iowa-Iowa State, Florida-Florida State, ND versus Michigan, Michigan State, USC, etc., Texas - Oklahoma used to be out of conference).

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Fine..whatever. Just don't accuse fans of being fair weather. I applaud them for not putting up with the crap(detailed in my previous post)that the U has shoved on them. One things for sure, the Big 10 didn't force them to raise their ticket prices.
Sorry but it is fairweather. You should care about your team regardless of opponent. I feel no sympathy

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The Gophers are so delusional with their ticket prices. They price games like they're the only show in town.

Lower the ticket prices and people will come. I really think that's the biggest problem. When you're paying 50 or 60 bucks for one ticket to a college hockey game, something is wrong.
And tickets this weekemd were 30...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Success is 99% execution, 1% idea.

There is no reason that only conference games should have value.

Some of the best college football rivalries are between non-conference rivals (Iowa-Iowa State, Florida-Florida State, ND versus Michigan, Michigan State, USC, etc., Texas - Oklahoma used to be out of conference).

Football is a different animal, even compared to Minnesota hockey. 100,000 people show up to Michigan games regardless of the opponent.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm a pretty big Gopher fan, and I had zero interest in going to the game, for the same reason that I have zero interest in going to Wild games (to which I am also a pretty big fan): my TV kicks ass, I've already paid for it, and I can do other stuff during commercials/intermission.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm a pretty big Gopher fan, and I had zero interest in going to the game, for the same reason that I have zero interest in going to Wild games (to which I am also a pretty big fan): my TV kicks ass, I've already paid for it, and I can do other stuff during commercials/intermission.
*Athletic Director reads comment*
*Gophers proceed to drop all tv coverage*

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And in doing so, has to raise ticket prices by 1600% and the arena now completely empties out.
Just trying to think what attendance would be like if they had badger ticket prices ~ highest cost reserve seat is $24. But Wisconsin also makes a ton more with football and basketball so maybe it isn't feasible for Minnesota.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Football is a different animal, even compared to Minnesota hockey. 100,000 people show up to Michigan games regardless of the opponent.
And our football team struggles to get 45000 but they don't care as long as they get a piece of the TV revenue (45+ million). I will always support Gopher athletics, but that doesn't mean I will pony up anything to help out the athletics department.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sheehy gets called for what looked to be a simple stick lift during OT. ND scores on ensuing PP. Not the way you want a season to end .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad