2018-2019 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dish network channel 446 - fsn+ is showing the Gopher game so it must be your provider.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Holy smokes, I just saw that hit on Ranta during the Wild intermission. My god.
Me, too. TBH, and I know that this isn't the prevailing opinion, but I thought that the main problem with the hit was that it was so damn good. I didn't see a charge, or an elbow, and he left his feet after the hit because of the force of the collision, not before...I don't think he targeted the head. To me, if it's in the center of the ice, surely the puck carrier has some responsibility for his own well being?

Walker had a ridiculous dangle in the second period of the MI game. Never quite seen that before.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Hentges scored the game winning goal for St. Cloud with under 2 minutes to go I believe.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What are Schuldt's pro prospects? He have a chance?
He will definitely get a deal. After that is anyones guess really. I think he can be an NHL'er, but I've thought that about plenty of guys that didn't make it.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
What are Schuldt's pro prospects? He have a chance?
I think he does. He needs to get a little quicker in all areas consistently to be an NHLer but he can do it. Reminds me a lot of Nick Jensen who hasn't had a bad career.
I'm going after him if I'm Fenton.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So are all those Gopher pictures of the 90% empty arena alarming to anyone, or just a fluke because of what else was going on this weekend (games/wannabe storm).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So are all those Gopher pictures of the 90% empty arena alarming to anyone, or just a fluke because of what else was going on this weekend (games/wannabe storm).
A little of both. The HS games, bad weather, AND they should be alarmed.

Nanne was on KFAN, saying that fans are taking the Gophers for granted, and they don't know what they've got till it's gone, like the North Stars. I think it's the other way around. The Gophers took their fans for granted. The grossly underestimated how many fans wanted to see local rivalry teams play, and overestimated how much they could charge fans for tickets.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A little of both. The HS games, bad weather, AND they should be alarmed.

Nanne was on KFAN, saying that fans are taking the Gophers for granted, and they don't know what they've got till it's gone, like the North Stars. I think it's the other way around. The Gophers took their fans for granted. The grossly underestimated how many fans wanted to see local rivalry teams play, and overestimated how much they could charge fans for tickets.
Truth is Gopher hockey and Gopher fans had very little to do with the Gopher's schedule.

Big Ten hockey was given a mandate by the Big Ten conference, and that was that.

Worst thing was the expanded conference schedule. I think things would be better if there was a lot more non-conference play. It is not like there isnt a conference tourney at the end of the season

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Truth is Gopher hockey and Gopher fans had very little to do with the Gopher's schedule.

Big Ten hockey was given a mandate by the Big Ten conference, and that was that.

Worst thing was the expanded conference schedule. I think things would be better if there was a lot more non-conference play. It is not like there isnt a conference tourney at the end of the season
People forget, the Gophers voted against the Big Ten.

Being a Big Ten school though, once it passed, they had zero choice.

You can't blame the Gophers for the loss of WCHA inclusion, blame Penn State for going D-1 in hockey and bringing the Big Ten into the conversation.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Or even if midseason invitationals were re-jiggered to be exclusive annual regional mini-tourneys.

Kind of like the Beanpot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wasn’t that what the Northstar Cup was? And it failed.
That's where ticket prices have hurt on top of the rivalry loss.

A token cup, no matter where the teams are located, doesn't mean as much as standings impact of winning losing against a team... if they are no longer true conference rivals, you can't charge the arm and a leg prices to have the less on the line matchup be worth it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's been tough for the casual fan to follow Gopher hockey since the move to the Big 10. It used to every series was a Friday/Saturday night affair (with few exceptions). Every game was on the same regional sports network with the same play by play and analyst guys. It was like clockwork.

Now the games are on multiple channels at different times. It's just harder for the average fan to pay attention to what's happening.

Reactions: 57special

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's been tough for the casual fan to follow Gopher hockey since the move to the Big 10. It used to every series was a Friday/Saturday night affair (with few exceptions). Every game was on the same regional sports network with the same play by play and analyst guys. It was like clockwork.

Now the games are on multiple channels at different times. It's just harder for the average fan to pay attention to what's happening.

That's sort of a cop out excuse. It's no different than the basketball schedule (even has a more consistent schedule) and people seem to follow them fine.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bottom line is that the Gophers used to fill the building before they joined the Big 10. It's now a shadow of itself attendance wise. Blaming the fans is not going to fill the building. A national championship would do it, I think?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Bottom line is that the Gophers used to fill the building before they joined the Big 10. It's now a shadow of itself attendance wise. Blaming the fans is not going to fill the building. A national championship would do it, I think?

But does it need to go to that? That seems awfully fairweather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad