Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I am not the biggest Cehlarik supporter, but this is horse ****.

The two players are apples and oranges.

first two season in the AHL agostino averaged .82 ppg and cehlarik averaged .73 pgg. In the NHL agostino averaged .272 ppg and cehlarik averaged .235 ppg.

Neither player really excels at one thing and both are very average in nearly everything they do. Both players have had trouble finding roles on teams.

Reactions: Fenian24

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not all things are the same.

As MMB referenced, Donato was give a look fresh out of the NCAA and Olympics and produced 5g/4a in only 12 games. This gives him a leg up on a player like Cehlarik, who has less than half that production over 17 games and two years (16-17 he had 11 games 2a, 17-18 he had 6 games 1g/1a). The sample size is comparable I think because both guys played with Top 6 personnel during their cameos. Heck, Cehlarik got Krejci AND Pasta.

I do think that Cehlarik outperformed Donato in Camp, but it appears that Cehlarik is below Donato on the depth chart (based on their NHL production) and that Donato will have to play his way out of the job. I am sure that there will be injuries during the course of the season and Cehlarik will get another look.

I understand and agree. There's not much room and it this stage it makes more sense Donato play. He will be good but he may need some more professional seasoning. Is that with Boston or Providence? At this stage it appears the bruins agree it's best he stay with Boston.

Cehlarik will have another crack at NHL. AHL stats will factor little in the decision to call him up unless he's completely out to lunch and not taking to the marching orders provided by Cassidy/DonS.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Hot take: DeBrusk and Krejci do not work praticularly well together and there should be no reason for them to be glued to each other.

I do like the fact that Cassidy is keeping the first line together since they can carry the team to playoffs by themselves if they stay healthy. You can and should then try to optimize rest of the team.

Reactions: BadBruins

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Cassidy is tinkering. Why is everyone concerned. Best time to do it.
I support tinkering, but moving a fringe 4th liner to the second line is not a viable long term solution, so not sure I see the point. Would be like saying Carlo is going to lead the pp... Sure we can try it but not sure why...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
**** this horsepiss.

Yeah, I think Nordstrom has looked decent, but 2nd line? That’s ridiculous.

There are at least 6 players I would try there before him (Backes, Donato, Heinen, Bjork, Pasta, call up Cehlarik).

First, let me preface this by saying that I am a big DeBrusk fan. However, I don’t understand why the RW spot is the only one they are tinkering with? Last year, DeBrusk was handed that LW gig out of camp and he was surgically conjoined at the hip with Krejci. Through thick and thin, the B’s have stuck with him in that spot, and for the most part, he responded.

He put up 16g/27a in 70 games, which was very good. By comparison, Heinen put up 16g/31a in 77 games playing with a rotating cast of 3rd and 4th line guys, while JDB had Krejci most of the year. I am sure there is something the B’s coaches see that makes them want to keep those two together. If it’s me, and the 2nd line isn’t producing, I’m looking at all the components, including 74 and 46.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I don't think we will see Nordstrom on the 4th line. He is the player I want next to Kuraly when McDavid is on the ice. Even if it does happen, I think this is Bruce, trying to light a fire under Donato and Krejci. But I am guessing that during the pre-game skate we find out Acciari is scratched. In yesterday's interviews I saw and read about, Cassidy was non-committal.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think we will see Nordstrom on the 4th line. He is the player I want next to Kuraly when McDavid is on the ice. Even if it does happen, I think this is Bruce, trying to light a fire under Donato and Krejci. But I am guessing that during the pre-game skate we find out Acciari is scratched. In yesterday's interviews I saw and read about, Cassidy was non-committal.

Cassidy made comments about competition in the early going. Acciari had his best game of the season against Ottawa. If it's a competition he shouldn't come out based on his last performance.

My guess is Donato will be upstairs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cassidy made comments about competition in the early going. Acciari had his best game of the season against Ottawa. If it's a competition he shouldn't come out based on his last performance.

My guess is Donato will be upstairs.

I agree about Acciari having his best game. The entire 4th line looked good. That being the case, I understand that you want to get Nordstrom some ice time, but we aren’t talking Peter Forsberg here.

If Cassidy were to keep the 4th line intact, will he really sit Donato for Nordstrom? And insert him in the Top 6? Or would you see Heinen or Bjork move up and Nordstrom slots in on the 3rd line? (Although that doesn’t seem to be the case based on practice.)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree about Acciari having his best game. The entire 4th line looked good. That being the case, I understand that you want to get Nordstrom some ice time, but we aren’t talking Peter Forsberg here.

If Cassidy were to keep the 4th line intact, will he really sit Donato for Nordstrom? And insert him in the Top 6? Or would you see Heinen or Bjork move up and Nordstrom slots in on the 3rd line? (Although that doesn’t seem to be the case based on practice.)

Seems that way.

He also made comments the other day about liking what the 3rd line did with Backes in the middle, so I think he doesn't want to break that up right away.

With zero production from the 2nd line, and his desire to get guys into the line-up and not sitting too long, just seems like a perfect storm to take Donato out and simply put Nordstrom in that spot.

Not what I'd do, I'd simply be more patient with Donato, or call-up Cehlarik, but I can see the logic to a certain degree. My guess is Nordstrom on that line doesn't last very long, a couple games maybe.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
This is not about Nordstrom, its about getting Donato out of there and see if he learns something. Which is pretty stupid because he could use some time in the ahl and some guy with some skill could take his spot. But wtv, they gave Nordstrom a contract so they have to give him time, another awful move since we had zero need of him.

Reactions: Fenian24

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Seems that way.

He also made comments the other day about liking what the 3rd line did with Backes in the middle, so I think he doesn't want to break that up right away.

With zero production from the 2nd line, and his desire to get guys into the line-up and not sitting too long, just seems like a perfect storm to take Donato out and simply put Nordstrom in that spot.

Not what I'd do, I'd simply be more patient with Donato, or call-up Cehlarik, but I can see the logic to a certain degree. My guess is Nordstrom on that line doesn't last very long, a couple games maybe.

We were just discussing in our text group.

Cassidy does seem to like Backes at the 3rd line C spot (took him long enough), and he and Heinen have had some success together. Along with Bjork, after they gel, I think that 3rd line could be pretty formidable.

I have said this all along. If it were me, based on Camp, I would have sent Donato down and kept Cehlarik up. I’m not sure what they see in Nordstrom, but on paper, a 74-46-22 line seems better than 74-46-20?

Reactions: BruinDust

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
We were just discussing in our text group.

Cassidy does seem to like Backes at the 3rd line C spot (took him long enough), and he and Heinen have had some success together. Along with Bjork, after they gel, I think that 3rd line could be pretty formidable.

I have said this all along. If it were me, based on Camp, I would have sent Donato down and kept Cehlarik up. I’m not sure what they see in Nordstrom, but on paper, a 74-46-22 line seems better than 74-46-20?

I was talking to a mutual friend last night and he seemed a little surprised when I said this:

I really believe they wanted Studnicka on the roster. But you know how they like their prospects to take their time and develop. I think they weighed the option of having him center the third line, somewhat sheltered and maybe even watching from upstairs a few times versus going back to the OHL, dominating, a legit chance with Team Canada at the WJC and a legit shot at an OHL Championship and Memorial Cup birth and felt the latter was the best option for team and player in the long run.

Reactions: FanSince72

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I support tinkering, but moving a fringe 4th liner to the second line is not a viable long term solution, so not sure I see the point. Would be like saying Carlo is going to lead the pp... Sure we can try it but not sure why...

Its not about seeing if Nordstrom is the answer, its about giving Donato a kick in the ass.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was talking to a mutual friend last night and he seemed a little surprised when I said this:

I really believe they wanted Studnicka on the roster. But you know how they like their prospects to take their time and develop. I think they weighed the option of having him center the third line, somewhat sheltered and maybe even watching from upstairs a few times versus going back to the OHL, dominating, a legit chance with Team Canada at the WJC and a legit shot at an OHL Championship and Memorial Cup birth and felt the latter was the best option for team and player in the long run.

I agree.

I think they would have loved for Studnicka (or JFK/Frederic for that matter) to have had a dominant camp so they could have kept him. It’s the age old argument. Does he benefit more from big minutes against peers or lesser minutes against NHL competition and grow into the role.

It does appear that Sweeney really likes Studnicka.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Its not about seeing if Nordstrom is the answer, its about giving Donato a kick in the ass.
They have Providence, many "super prospects" and plenty of cap space to call one up why go with an offensive black hole like Nordstrom? Want to send Donato a message? Let him go to Providence for a week and have him realize his spot on the team isn't being gifted to him.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
They have Providence, many "super prospects" and plenty of cap space to call one up why go with an offensive black hole like Nordstrom? Want to send Donato a message? Let him go to Providence for a week and have him realize his spot on the team isn't being gifted to him.

Thing is the 2nd line has been an offensive black hole, this is the reason for the shake up. Krech and DeBrsuk are not lighting anything up, they are not connecting. Bjork could use his speed to give them a lift. This may be a way of Cassidy lighting a match under 3 young guys outlooks, Bjork, Donato and Cehalrik. I am sure they are thinking WTF. Time to stop thinking and grab it the next time they get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad